Thread: HW45 owners please look

HW45 owners please look

Hi folks

Just bought this new and put less than 30 pellets through it so far.

When I cock it, before the cocking arms engage the spring they sort of "pop" into place with an audible hollow sounding clack. Since my 97k rifle was always as smooth as butter throughout the cocking cycle, this surprises me. Does anyone else's 45 make this noise?

Cheers

Yes, my 45 made an odd sound similar to what you're describing, but after a few tins of pellets. Then eventually wouldn't cock to full power (you might have seen my two posts on this, just down the page a bit) At this point I sent it to Hull Cartridge for repair. The mainspring had broken!!! I don't want to panic you, just telling you my outcome, your noise may be something else. When I first got mine, a cocking arm fell out!!! The pivot pin that holds the arms had worked loose ( check that ) I must say, the gun is as smooth as silk now and H. Cartridge were really good. I would phone them and explain your concerns, or talk to the source of purchase if still under warranty. Hope you get it sorted soon. Its a great gun, and we shouldn't have these problems from new. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Thanks for the reply Pete, glad you got yours sorted. Going to speak to the shop about it tomorrow.

Cheers

Damian

Update - I put a few dozen pellets through it today and the problem has gone away. Perhaps it was just bedding in?

It's still dieseling though. How many pellets should it take for that to stop?

Cheers

Mine took a good few tins before settling down. It smoked a bit for a few shots after that, then just occasionally. Since I got it back with new mainspring, its not banged or even smoked, so maybe they use a different lube at H. Cartridge. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    Mine took a good few tins before settling down. It smoked a bit for a few shots after that, then just occasionally. Since I got it back with new mainspring, its not banged or even smoked, so maybe they use a different lube at H. Cartridge. ATB. Pete.
    Its been getting fed back that these things must be run virtually dry. Brilliantly designed gun but perfect ratios for combustion phase with lubes....possibly by design to meet Beemans request for 600fps. Run them with lubes and they will smoke like billy and leap around like Squirrels. Run dry they will do about 540fps but will be accurate.
    Im running mine with nylon guide and top hat virtually dry. Its not going to wear out!

Had the son of a friend round before Xmas and found time to show him my rifles and pistols. In the process of demonstrating the HW45 I cocked it but failed to put a pellet in the barrel (Duh.) pointed at the backstop and pulled the trigger... Loud Bang! and a muzzle flash that would not embarrass a .22LR. Kid was well impressed, I not so much. Fired a couple more times - with pellets - as a quick check and the pistol seems to have survived without a broken spring. This HW45 has not been lubed by me, maybe the previous owned put oil on the spring I don't know, but it diesels better than a Land Rover.
    HW100KT, ATN X-Sght 4K Pro, MTC Taipan 6-24x56; HW97K, MTC Viper 10x44
    Walther LGV Comp Pro, MTC Connect 3-12
    HW45, Beretta 92fs, Premier, Tempest, MkIII, Orig. Mod50

i know people who have owned them for years and they still diesel

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaksGod View Post
    i know people who have owned them for years and they still diesel
    Mine still smokes a bit on the first shot and I've had it ages.

All of mine smoke especially of not shot for a while. Im so used to it I would worry if they didn't

The 45 uses a hard piston seal which allows the lube to get past hence the dieseling.

Thanks for this - I wondered why my HW45 still dieselled from time to time.

Mine did 'graunch' as I cocked it - you could see the spring catching slightly and then un-catching during the cocking cycle - it had done this since new. I assumed it was normal but when a mate serviced it for me he foudn the spring was slightly bent (it probably had been from new)

One new - straight - spring and it is as smooth as butter to cock.

ATB

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    All of mine smoke especially of not shot for a while. Im so used to it I would worry if they didn't

Since I got mine back from Hull Cartridge, after having a new mainspring fitted ( it broke at 9 months). Its not smoked at all!!!

ive stopped smoking new years resalution,