Thread: nasty neighbour with a crossbow!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    "Not a crossbow, a proper bow"....good old bow snobbery in full effect as usual.....

Crossbows are still used by many armies across the world for various reasons, I don't get why archers are so down on them. I've got an Armex Titan(200lb draw, claimed 380fps) and use it safely in my garden using a Third Hand Rag Bag as a target. I'd argue crossbows are more safe than the average PROPER bow.my neighbour has a recurve bow and has done archery for years, he can't hit 2" groupings at 40yards. I can.......
    (Ah, that's why archers are probably down on them...I can consistently achieve the same results with a £245 kit that an archer would need to spend a grand on, like a Hoyt?)

Anyway, I digress....As long as you both have effective and sensible backstops and don't go out firing/shooting when under the influence of anything then you should both be ok?

If he has a high powered crossbow, look at what he's aiming at and it it isn't capable of stopping the arrows(they're not technically bolts unless they have no fletchings/vanes), point it out to him and if he gets his back up and won't see sense then maybe give the plod a phone.....they may be able to "advise" what he needs...

Regardless of our choice(s) of bow/rifle, responsible usage is the most important thing....
    I can imagine it's like comparing a springer to a pcp.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by shepp1 View Post
    I can imagine it's like comparing a springer to a pcp.
    Nope PCP and springers are firearms, bows ain't

Anyway bows vs crossbows
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HagCuGXJgUs

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Nope PCP and springers are firearms, bows ain't

Anyway bows vs crossbows
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HagCuGXJgUs
    hi springers or pcp at sub12ftlb are not firearms,only if they are on section1 then considered a firearm.
    Last edited by Mattatack; 31-12-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattatack View Post
    hi springers or pcp at sub12ftlb are not firearms,only if they are on section1 then considered a firearm.
    I think you'll find they are firearms that do not require a licence.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattatack View Post
    Sorry Wrong,
    In the eyes of the law any & every airgun, bb gun & blank fireing replica is a firearm and firearm law governs their use.

I do wonder why the OP calls him a "nasty" neighbour he may be a prat but why nasty?