Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: nasty neighbour with a crossbow!

Quote Originally Posted by Snooper601 View Post
    You need to get onto Mythbusters mate, they spent ages recently trying to "do a Robin Hood" and concluded that it was impossible.If you can prove it to them fame and fortune await!

Cheers

John
    I think you will find archers " Robin Hood " quite frequently ( inadvertently of course!).

Quote Originally Posted by Snooper601 View Post
    You need to get onto Mythbusters mate, they spent ages recently trying to "do a Robin Hood" and concluded that it was impossible.If you can prove it to them fame and fortune await!

Cheers

John
    Ah, but they were trying to do the old "split an arrow from nock to point" thing, which they decided was impossible in reality.... I think they did talk to an archer expert and he showed them some that had been "Robin Hood'ed" as we know it today.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryll View Post
    Ah, but they were trying to do the old "split an arrow from nock to point" thing, which they decided was impossible in reality.... I think they did talk to an archer expert and he showed them some that had been "Robin Hood'ed" as we know it today.
    Quite right, they were trying to do it with solid wooden shafts, whereas modern ones are hollow tubes with plastic nocks which explode/deform when hit and as they found out in that episode its quite easy to robin hood a shaft, though they did test it at close distance not proper target distances and by a target archer

We had someone robin hood an arrow about a month ago at 70 metres, it happens quite a lot. We were running a beginners course with some kids on it at the time who had all seen Brave (The girl Robin Hoods an arrow in one scene), they thought it was excellent when I showed them the arrow. Generally when it does happen it goes up on the wall in our club house so we have quite a few of them, some still with the second arrow embedded.

With a wooden arrow you just tend to shoot the nock off and the second arrow deflects from the taper, if you use self nocks I imagine it could be just possible to split a weak shaft along the grain of the arrow if you have incorrectly nocked them parallel to the grain and you hit the first arrow perfectly.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich