Thread: Titan XS springs

Titan XS springs

i ,ve been told Titan XS springs are pretty good springs even at 12ftlb
    the guy who told me as done a fair bit of tuning and rates them quite highly

anyone comment on them
    thanks

As long as you can check the power once fitted, more often than not they go over 12fpe.

Hi Dan,
    Yes, a lot of people talk very highly of them. I have fitted a couple and the quality and finish does, indeed, appear good.
    However, for most legal-limit-ish guns (unless you're really, really lucky) fitting one of these van easily take it over the limit. So, if fitting one, make sure you chrono it and be prepared to maybe have to shorten a little or collapse a coil.

Another couple of options :- I notice that Welsh Willy (Woodfield GCP) uses these springs in his tuning kits and that they are cut down to suit the particular gun. So, if you wanted a Titan, it might be worth having a word with him and see if he'd send you a pre-cut one. It all depends on how confident you are shortening one yourself. And, even if pre-cut, still ensure that you check the ME afterwards.

The other thing you could do is order up a V-Mach spring from Steve Pope. As long as it's for a rifle on the V-Mach list, this would be my preferred option. Better still, get one of these with custom, fitted top hat and spring guide for smoothness and twang-free operation, unless you have the ability/equipment to make these up yourself.

Hope this helps.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Titan springs are good quality but always too long and go over power, will need cutting and grinding

V Mach springs are very good quality, generally the right size, about the same price

www.air-rifle-tuning.com

Really, a bit of a no brainer these days .......
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Yep, me think so, too.

I've just been having a quick plink with my old war-horse, cosmetically horrible .177 HW35, which was a proper old wreck when I got it (for £30). Amongst other items, I ordered a new, standard spring for the re-build, which the charlatan dealer promised was in stock.....

A Titan arrives and it was HUGE, far, far too much spring for the gun. I lopped a few coils off and ground smooth etc.

I later ordered up a V-Mach spring from Steve, complete with matching, properly fitting guide and top hat and this was a MASSIVE transformation. Smooth, sweet, twang free.

For just casual shooting with open sights, this is my favourite gun, easily capable of shooting .22 sized 10 shot groups at my maximum indoor home range of 12 yards, in a dimly lit hallway with my iffy eyes. I love the fact that it has the looks and feel of a very old gun (it looks very tired), but is so refined and accurate, and I put this refinement down to that perfectly balanced and matched spring and guide set-up.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

thanks guys , i was going to try to self tune the hw97 with a polish and new spring , just trying to keep costs down , and trying to pick brains to find out what the minimun or maximum i could do just with the standard internals but as i progress and start thinking what if i replaced the spring then piston head and got a better fitting spring guide etc
    you know what going wait till got the spare cash and just order the v mach kit , £73 is a lot of money to me , but buying the bits is still gonna cost almost as much . at least know got the best .

first thing i need to do though is get a new breech seal this one is old and brittle, trouble is my nearest gun shop is a 40 mile round trip , which kinda defeats the price of a 3 quid seal

cheers for now

The standard spring in the 97 is pretty good you know...often the spring is swapped when there is no real need.

What makes the biggest change on a 97 is a PTFE piston sleeve and decent front top hat...