Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bell Targets

Bell Targets

Is anyone currently selling Bell Targets please. (Rob Roy ?)
    Any info gratefully recieved.
    The currency for Wisdom is Respect. So please do not enter a transaction if you do not have the means to pay

Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    Is anyone currently selling Bell Targets please. (Rob Roy ?)
    Any info gratefully recieved.
    See bell target thread just 2-3 threads down you will get some info there, atb ...mike...

Protec supplies in Bognor Regis has one of Red robs bell targets for sale. It is a lovely bit of kit painted red to match the season with a nice brass lid. £69 if I remember correctly.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Red Rob

Seem to have a problem contacting Red Rob. Anyone help please?
    The currency for Wisdom is Respect. So please do not enter a transaction if you do not have the means to pay

I expect to see him tomorrow afternoon I can give him a message, somewhere I have his phone number but I am not sure where.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

It's Red Bob, not Rob.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Bell Targets

Contact well established. Thank you Gentlemen.

Bell targets

Morning, Leadhead, you have a pm.

City Air Weapons Soluhull sell competition targets.

Quote Originally Posted by thimblehouse View Post
    City Air Weapons Soluhull sell competition targets.

Yes & that is the difference, proper competition Bell Targets of a very high quality faces & fittings.........the faces alone cost a bomb to produce due to the machining & hardening process.

These targets won't peen over around the bull & constantly require reaming out like cheaper products will a little while down the road, we use them in our league & for pretty much all the west midlands inter league competitions.

No i don't work there or make the targets.......but I know the man that does......& No I don't make a penny from them or have a hidden agenda guys, just telling it like it is.........You get what you pay for, I think the saying goes?

Come to think of it, why do you boys in & around the Birmingham, Solihull regions no longer enter these inter league shoots, Wolverhampton do!

FRIGHTENED OR WHAT?
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

We had our fourth Red Bob bell target delivered today and have another one arriving in the next few days.

Our first ones have been with us for over a year now and are still performing well, and I know the other local clubs have bought them too and are also happy with them so far.

Away from the range my first Mk7 has also been regularly abused and clobbered with full power .22 hunting air rifles when testing rebuilds and at one stage I thought the target face had been damaged, but on inspection it had been hit so hard the lead seemed to weld itself to the target face, and was not easy to dislodge or chip off.

However, the next shot from the same rifle blew it away revealing an un-marked target face. None of the other thousands of shots that have hit the target face have managed to scar it in any way so far, but we will keep an eye on them.

The biggest problem is lighting the target face, and the ornate hood throws a shadow across the target face when lit directly from above ( something the more expensive self lit City Airguns types should not suffer from), but we are including some suitable lighting in the individual free-standing backstops so this should take care of it, although some form of lighting inside the hood may be a better alternative .

Our Super Dreadnaught from RedBob was supplied with a soft purple indirect light behind the target face that also works quite well by making the bulls eye glow and could possibly be another solution to the lighting problem we have with the Mk8 targets we are using now.
    Last edited by zooma; 02-01-2013 at 10:50 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    We had our fourth Red Bob bell target delivered today and have another one arriving in the next few days.

Our first ones have been with us for over a year now and are still performing well, and I know the other local clubs have bought them too and are also happy with them so far.

Away from the range my first Mk7 has also been regularly abused and clobbered with full power .22 hunting air rifles when testing rebuilds and at one stage I thought the target face had been damaged, but on inspection it had been hit so hard the lead seemed to weld itself to the target face, and was not easy to dislodge or chip off.

However, the next shot from the same rifle blew it away revealing an un-marked target face. None of the other thousands of shots that have hit the target face have managed to scar it in any way so far, but we will keep an eye on them.

The biggest problem is lighting the target face, and the ornate hood throws a shadow across the target face when lit directly from above ( something the more expensive self lit City Airguns types should not suffer from), but we are including some suitable lighting in the individual backstops so this should take care of it, although some form of lighting inside the hood may be a better alternative .

Our Super Dreadnaught from RedBob was supplied with a soft purple indirect light behind the target face that also works quite well by making the bulls eye glow and could possibly be another solution to the lighting problem we have with the Mk8 targets we are using now.

Some of these targets we use have been in use for more than 40 years, i think that say's it all really! The only thing that's changed is the type of bulb.......to energy savers... but to be honest this may be a backward step?

I'm quite sure Red Bob's targets are more than adequate for your needs & mean no offence at all, I have not seen one in real life or used one so am not qualified comment, & I am never likely to as I can purchase the same target that City air Weapons supply for similar money that you pay for your targets, with postage I imagine.

Good Shooting & Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by wonky donky View Post
    Some of these targets we use have been in use for more than 40 years, i think that say's it all really! The only thing that's changed is the type of bulb.......to energy savers... but to be honest this may be a backward step?

I'm quite sure Red Bob's targets are more than adequate for your needs & mean no offence at all, I have not seen one in real life or used one so am not qualified comment, & I am never likely to as I can purchase the same target that City air Weapons supply for similar money that you pay for your targets, with postage I imagine.

Good Shooting & Enjoy
    Living locally, you may possibly enjoy a local privilege with your price, but for those of us that have no local bell target maker to supply us we have to pay delivery costs on either of them and the RedBob targets work out at less than half the price of the City Air Weapons types (including carrier delivery) and that is probably why there are so many of them up here.

When I first wanted to try bell target shooting I had never heard of RedBob and I was going to buy a bell target from City, but they were out of stock at the time. I then found out about the much less expensive option from RedBob and thought I would give that a try to see how I got on with it.

When it arrived I was genuinely staggered at the quality and workmanship I had paid so little cash for - and this included the delivery as well! All my thoughts about making my own bell targets were immediately dropped - I just don't know how anyone can make and sell and deliver such a good product for so little cash

One day when I am able to get down to the midlands I will pick up a bell target from City for my own use so we can be aware and see the differences for ourselves, but with so many of the RedBob targets already in this area we have written our new East Lancs rules to accommodate what we already had plenty of.

There are so many local variations between the various bell target leagues and their rules already I don't think our interpretation ( based on the best parts of everyone else's well tried and tested rules) will make much difference to us, or any visiting shooters from any of the other 6 yard or 7 yard bell target leagues.

The small local variation in rules and weapons types and pellet types used (or permitted), and the small distance options used between the various well established bell target leagues is fascinating, and I hope I get the chance to have a shoot in several of them over the next few years, but rather suspect I will face the same challenge of aiming at the same sized bull in all of them.

The variation between the different bell targets themselves is another interesting area for us all to appreciate and enjoy too.

With all the small (very small at the end of the day) variations between the different leagues and their rules it is the sport of Bell Target shooting that is the real winner - so lets all go and ring that bell and enjoy!
    Last edited by zooma; 02-01-2013 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    One day when I am able to get down to the midlands I will pick up a bell target from City for my own use so we can be aware and see the differences for ourselves, but with so many of the RedBob targets already in this area we have written our new East Lancs rules to accommodate what we already had plenty of.

There are so many local variations between the various bell target leagues and their rules already I don't think our interpretation ( based on the best parts of everyone else's well tried and tested rules) will make much difference to us, or any visiting shooters from any of the other 6 yard or 7 yard bell target leagues.

The small local variation in rules and weapons types and pellet types used (or permitted), and the small distance options used between the various well established bell target leagues is fascinating, and I hope I get the chance to have a shoot in several of them over the next few years, but rather suspect I will face the same challenge of aiming at the same sized bull in all of them.

The variation between the different bell targets themselves is another interesting area for us all to appreciate and enjoy too.

With all the small (very small at the end of the day) variations between the different leagues and their rules it is the sport of Bell Target shooting that is the real winner - so lets all go and ring that bell and enjoy!
    Well there was a NATIONAL set of Bell Target Rules that everyone used to abide by at least once a year, (N.A.R.P.A.....National Air Rifle & PISTOL Association) & it is much missed!.....Robbed & put in still unpaid debts.....by someone.........YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE....SHAME ON YOU!

Anyway that's something else, not you! SORRY, I have had a drink!...AS IF IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE?

My wife & I shoot BELL TARGET, as you may have gathered & would love to come & shoot at other venues, perhaps drag our caravan & stay a day or two!.or bring a team along. shoot your rules & have a return match........YES?

Not many of the 700 plus Bell shooters in our area now shoot recoiling Rifles, but we used to, so probably still can to some degree

How about it?

Sounds good to me - and the return trip too!

I also shot with NARPA in those early days and hugely miss them and the fantastic effort they put in to make shooting with air weapons popular with the working class in the UK.

Without them this air weapons sport would not be anywhere in this country - the NSRA did nothing to help or promote the sport down in the trenches in the late sixties and early seventies now did they?

I never shot bell target - I never really shot rifle ( only pistol) but I did have the pleasure of shooting with NARPA for a few years and going to RAF Cosworth every year for the live finals ( including once ending up shooting with a 300S after I finished my pistol event - but that is another story).

Good memories - bad ending!