Thread: Theoben info required please.

Newmarket, Suffolk. More than a one horse town!

Theoben info required please.

Its pick your brains time. I have just got a Theoben Sirocco, which I believe to be the Classic model. It has the button safety in front of the trigger guard, the original type gas ram not the HE. Full rifle length barrel, with a slim silencer. Serial number TB5001. I am guessing this is about 1988, would that be right?

David.
    Join BASC. You know it makes sense!

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangeherald View Post
    Its pick your brains time. I have just got a Theoben Sirocco, which I believe to be the Classic model. It has the button safety in front of the trigger guard, the original type gas ram not the HE. Full rifle length barrel, with a slim silencer. Serial number TB5001. I am guessing this is about 1988, would that be right?

David.
    Check google, there's a Theoben list of serial numbers and manufacture dates. It's a link from a forum, but easy to find.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Theoben date

David,

Hope this helps .....

TB5001 - December 1988
    Regards,
    M151A1

Thats what I love about us enthusiasts, there is always someone who knows where to find the important details! Many thanks, that does confirm what I thought. Out of interest, I have not seen another like my new toy, with the safety in front of the trigger guard. I have heard others say they have, but they must be quite scarce.
    Only had a quick play today, but already the trigger is so much nicer than the later HE ones. Still very accurate for an old one. (The gun too... )

David.

Sirocco classic

After reading about Theoben in john walthers airgun book,the latest edition with the sirocco picture on the dust cover, I decided I wanted one. So back in 1989 I travelled from The Netherlands to the Theoben factory. I picked up a Sirocco classic with the mushroom safety in .177 cal. It is still part of my collection. Mine has nr TB 5341 and is a FAC version, nobody bothered much about the fac in those days. Just bought it and took it with me.
    The gun was harsh to shoot on high setting in .177. After I bought an extra .22 barrel I learned to handle the classic. Fitted with a top Tasco scope (2,5-10x44) I could hit anything I pointed at.
    I have the rifle with 2 barrels and the original pump.
    Now you know there are more out there
    Good deals with Hollowpoint, SCOTTY73, Hawk eye, steviewb, manxteddy, muts65, neumo, viper77765, Paul CL1, Ziplobb, Stover Rover, Rockdrill, bo dan, vinny, craig errington, G man, DaveC, jb7x57, jasedrz, rookie2767, funkedup, Jonny Neat, Trefil Hunter and maybe you.

Quote Originally Posted by m00se View Post
    After reading about Theoben in john walthers airgun book,the latest edition with the sirocco picture on the dust cover, I decided I wanted one. So back in 1989 I travelled from The Netherlands to the Theoben factory. I picked up a Sirocco classic with the mushroom safety in .177 cal. It is still part of my collection. Mine has nr TB 5341 and is a FAC version, nobody bothered much about the fac in those days. Just bought it and took it with me.
    The gun was harsh to shoot on high setting in .177. After I bought an extra .22 barrel I learned to handle the classic. Fitted with a top Tasco scope (2,5-10x44) I could hit anything I pointed at.
    I have the rifle with 2 barrels and the original pump.
    Now you know there are more out there
    Its nice to know you are still enjoying yours! I had a later .177 Evolution but I was never quite satisfied with it. The smaller calibre was harsher to shoot, and the later triggers can be unpredictable and less easy to live with. I did like the way it was made and the accuracy though. I decided to treat myself to something else, and I was lucky enough to find a really nice well cared for Sirocco classic in .22. Just a very few minor blemishes on the woodwork, and the blueing is perfect and like new. As you know, these shoot very well and the trigger is very like the Rekord trigger on my Weihrauch. Not everything is improved by later developments it seems!

Theoben Sirocco

Mine is a .22, serial no. TB2098, which puts it manufactured in October 1985

Hds the ram re-sealed 4/5 years ago and going as strong as ever. Woodwork is wonderful and the metal work still has a cracking blue.

Currently putting out RWS Superpoints at 11.02 ft/lbs with a 8 fps variation over 10 shots.

Really smooth to shoot, with a controlled bump to the shoulder, many squirrels can vouch for its accuracy, trigger not in the Rekord class, but never the less a delight to use.
    Regards,
    M151A1

Afternoon of testing...

I had time to do some testing with the Sirocco and to compare it to other guns today. I had the chance to try a few 40mm scopes on it and found one that suited me better than the one which came with it. Then to some serious testing! Zeroed on my 10m range then out to 40yards or so. A nice consistant group in the end of an old tin, very similar to what my HW95 does, so the next test was obvious!
    Back at 10m, seated but not supported any other way, time for some groups. Swapping between guns, I managed a series of one hole 5 shot groups with the exception of one flyer, my fault. Neither gun made a group bigger than 12mm. I could not decide between them. Pellets were RWS Superdome from the same new tin. The surprise was that the HW95 has a 50mm scope that will focus crisply at 10m and the 40mm on the Sirocco is fuzzy at 10m. This did not seem to make any difference. I then tried my Webley Mk3 supertarget, as I was using competition targets, and that would help with the aperture sights. This made larger groups and not single holes. I have done better with the Webley, but its trigger is not as good as either of the other two. Again, their triggers are both excellent and I have no complaints of either. Maybe the Rekord trigger is just ahead, but its not a big difference and the Sirocco is better than everything else I have bar that one!
    So, the new toy has made me smile. It has the usual crisp and short lock time. No noise on cocking unlike many springers. Easy to cock, vice free to shoot and nice to look at. Looks like even when I am having a really good day, it is as good or better than me. Cant complain about that!

Another question!

Here is another brain teaser for the experts... There are two types of pre-HE ram. The first, as illustrated on Chambers site *correction, its the HW90 on Chambers, original Theoben here .http://www.cinedux.com/theoben-air-rifles.php*, has two seals fitted to the false piston. The front one is similar to a parachute type seal and the rear is an O ring. The second later type has two O rings fitted inside the piston. This one also has the inertia weight with two O rings inside. This is the type fitted to both the Sirocco with the cast trigger guard and the button safety and to the HW90. Does anyone happen to know if the Zephyr piston seal and the main piston O rings are the same size for both Sirocco and HW90 in these rams? If I find out I will post here so we all know.
    David.
    Last edited by Orangeherald; 10-01-2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Correction added.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangeherald View Post
    Here is another brain teaser for the experts... There are two types of pre-HE ram. The first, as illustrated on Chambers site *correction, its the HW90 on Chambers, original Theoben here .http://www.cinedux.com/theoben-air-rifles.php*, has two seals fitted to the false piston. The front one is similar to a parachute type seal and the rear is an O ring. The second later type has two O rings fitted inside the piston. This one also has the inertia weight with two O rings inside. This is the type fitted to both the Sirocco with the cast trigger guard and the button safety and to the HW90. Does anyone happen to know if the Zephyr piston seal and the main piston O rings are the same size for both Sirocco and HW90 in these rams? If I find out I will post here so we all know.
    David.
    I have now passed the verniers over an HW90 piston seal, and internal O ring seals. Comparing with my Sirocco, it seems the HW90 tube is 30mm and the Sirocco is 31mm. I have not stripped my ram (if it ain't broke don't fix it) but from measuring and best guess they could be the same. So, to replace the piston seal it must be a genuine Theoben 31mm. I may get busy with the lathe and see what I can do about that. I will look into what can be done to make these seals and report any success. Does anyone know if the later HE type seals are also 31mm, and is the fitting method the same?

Hello Orangeherald,
    How did you get on with you theoben sirocco seals ?
    I am asking as i have recently got an old one ser No TB2007 from 1985 and it is only shooting 7.5 ftlbs
    cheers Maz.