Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for a 44 muzzle loading revolver

looking for a 44 muzzle loading revolver

hi,
    i have itchy fingers and looking for a cheap local 44 muzzle loader suitible for using 777 not wanting to spend much as will be first and may not like it

thanks
    sorted

It may take a while to find one but they are out there, when I was looking for one the average secondhand price seemed to start around £90 upwards. I ended up buying a Remington 1858 New Model Army club gun that they were selling off.

I also use Triple 7 as I don't have room for another box and the Mrs would do her nut with the smell from black powder. I find it dead easy to clean off (hot water in sink) and it doesn't smell too bad.
    Last edited by Livefast123; 06-01-2013 at 11:42 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by thesmi View Post
    hi,
    i have itchy fingers and looking for a cheap local 44 muzzle loader suitible for using 777 not wanting to spend much as will be first and may not like it

thanks
    THIS is mine, but I need a slot for a .303 so it's likely to be up for sale, I have triple7 powder, flask, caps, balls, phials, range box etc etc. Interested ? just need to have a think about a price before I stick it in the sale section.

pm sent
    Last edited by thesmi; 07-01-2013 at 05:28 PM.
    sorted

Thumbs up

Hi Theo, glad you are having fun with your new .44

Surrey Police have processed my variation in under a week so I now have a slot for a .303 - happy days

That's quick,
    Well have fun
    sorted

.44 recomends

Hi thesmi, you can get a rep colt navy for about £70, and a flask, powder, wads, caps, and ball will cost about another £50, but if you look at Dan the Man's picture he has a Rogers and Spencer that has a top strap, and the colt uses the wedge system to hold the barrel to the rest of the gun, this can prove a bit of a pain as the wedge will slip and let the revolving chambers move forward and put the nipples just out of reach of the hammer, also spent caps find there way between the hammer and body and that can cause the caps not to fire, so paying that bit more will make you want to shoot your gun and you won't concider it a pain to fire, dont put large amounts of 777 in the chambers like 22 grains as it just ratles the gun to bits and drives the wedge out of its slot, I find 12 to 15 grains of 777 just enough for cowboy shoots, I have two Euroarms Rogers and Spencers, a rep Colt Navy and a Wells fargo .31 and find them all good fun, good luck and enjoy cap and ball shooting.
    Last edited by Russell Start; 27-01-2013 at 09:21 PM.

russel,
    i have got danthemans roger and spencer! its very slow and boring to load just for 6shots! im thinking of just going and getting a long barrelled pistol instead
    sorted

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Start View Post
    Hi thesmi you can get a rep colt navy for about £70 and a flask powder wads caps and ball will cost about another £50 but if you look at Dan the Man's picture he has a Rogers and Spencer that has a top strap and the colt uses the wedge system to hold the barrel to the rest of the gun this can prove a bit of a pain as the wedge will slip and let the revolving chambers move forward an put the nipples just out of reach of the hammer also spent caps find there way between the hammer and body and that can cause the caps not to fire so paying that bit more will make you want to shoot your gun and you won't concider it a pain to fire, dont put large amounts of 777 in the chambers like 22 grains as it just ratles the gun to bits and drives the wedge out of its slot I find 12 to 15 grains of 777 just enough for cowboy shoots, I have two Euroarms Rogers and Spencers a rep Colt Navy and a Wells fargo .31 and find them all good fun, good luck and enjoy cap and ball shooting
    Dear Mr start - is there any chance that you could employ a few more commas and full stops in all that? My eyes started bleeding about half-way into it...

Just askin', nicely

dot, com

sorry used my old laptop, no spellcheck or grammar correction on it, however I hope my advice helped. The end.

slowloader

Theo, get yourself a pair of fingerless work gloves, I use De Walt, it helps when your pushing the loading lever so it doesn't stick into your hand, a little trick I use is to wrap a cigarette paper round a pencil stick it down and crimp one end, then put the amount of powder you want in it then screw that end up too if you do this with 24 or so before going to the range it will save time measuring, then just push in a wad , a ball, then it's all but done, cap off and your ready.
    Last edited by Russell Start; 27-01-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Theo, get yourself a pair of fingerless work gloves, I use De Walt, it helps when your pushing the loading lever so it doesn't stick into your hand, a little trick I use is to wrap a cigarette paper round a pencil stick it down and crimp one end, then put the amount of powder you want in it then screw that end up too if you do this with 24 or so before going to the range it will save time measuring, then just push in a wad , a ball, then it's all but done, cap off and your ready.

i like the paper idea,

i was given a load of phyls (bad spellling,,,,,,,some litle tubs with lids) and can pour them straight in but still haslte opening them, i will take some rizzla off my boss and give it a try .

i have not used a wad the guys at club said it will be ok as it leave a ring of lead around the ball, but they did smudge some grease all over it!

i was also thinking instead of the wads and grease just put some sawdust in there which i can get from work for free
    sorted

Good tip - that's also what I do with my ROA.

tac

I find the loading relaxing and it makes a change to the stuff the mag full and blast away approach, plus if I take a while to load then I can't fire as many rounds so it works out cheaper!

gloves

by the way did I mention that the gloves save you hand from getting hot caps between your hand and gun