Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: looking for a 44 muzzle loading revolver

What are. Hot caps ?
    sorted

hot caps

sometimes caps jump off the nipples after being fired, the mini explosion makes this happen and although not red hot they can be pretty warm, and, have a habit of getting you on the soft fleshy part between your thumb and forefinger. :0)

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Start View Post
    sometimes caps jump off the nipples after being fired, the mini explosion makes this happen and although not red hot they can be pretty warm, and, have a habit of getting you on the soft fleshy part between your thumb and forefinger. :0)
    Ditto that - as I can tell you from my session last sunday morning. THREE nasty hot bits in three consecutive shots.

Usually down to a couple of reasons -

1. Flash-holes worn too big, and flashback as you fire - replace nipples.

2. Nipples actually undersized in the fust place, like the NEW set of GENUINE Ruger make, prolly that last we'll ever see, obtained at great expense and fitted last Sunday morning. A #11 cap falls off, so has to get squozed to fit. BAD idea. I've ordered a set of Treso bronze nipples from my usual supplier in the US of A.

Also to note is that the term 'hot caps' can actually refer to the higher-than-usual temperature developed by the fulminating compound - VERY necessary when using the substitute propellants as their flash/ignition temperature is well over double that of the real black powder. RWS make such caps, for those lucky enough to be able to locate them.

tac

I have two up for valuation but so far no one has put a price on them for me.

If you are interested please keep in touch and when I do get some sort of valuation I will let you know.
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

i bought one allready!!!!! i am considering to sell the buy a long barreled revolver instead
    sorted

if you were selling how much
    ballkeeper

£200 with everything, complete setup box, powder, balls, some tools, some other little bits n bobs I have had around 4 goes at loading and its not quite my cup of tea
    sorted

hi

hi i have got a 44 muzzle loading pistol for sale with caps powder and lead balls £70 for the lot