Thread: new lad with lightning xl

new lad with lightning xl

Hi all I'm rob and hope the years treating you well so far.
    I wrote a big intro but it looks like its not posted so forgive if this is alittle short!
    I have a lightning xl tuned by kirklees guns and i have baffled the volumetric silencer out.
    Its .22 as i hunt rather than target shoot and its a beauty, i know it gets some stick but i love it.
    Im in huddersfield and am looking forward to being part of the forum.
    Cheers
    Rob

Hiya Rob, and welcome

Sorry you lost your 'big post', but at least you're here now!

I also have a Lightning (XL Tac-tickle) but not tuned like yours, and .177 so it twangs a bit

Have fun here

Thanks mate I almost went for the .177 but then I got into reading the great debate and my head hurt so I went .22.
    When I got mine I paid way too much and it had a leaking gas ram doing 8.5! Now its borderline 12 so I'm getting it chronod today since I fitted baffles other day.
    I'm wanting a qb78 next in .177 but with a mega carbine barrel, removable stock and trigger lock iv designed which locks on stock removal.
    I was in the army so short rifles do it for me lol.

Hello mate .

And welcome to the forum .

All the best .

Andy .
    " Never mistake kindness for weakness "

Thanks mate,
    Well I've just had my xl tested and the results are In;

Superdomes 11 ftlb and about 570 ftsec

Diablo Hunter 11.10 flb and 560 ftsec

He said it was very consistent so im pleased I went with the superdomes just to be safe and as iv not used them yet il see how they group.

The only issue is sometimes the trigger dosent return fully forward and wont let it cock, the barrel dosent want to remain down.
    Any ideas as im going to have a look?
    Cheers fellas

Just so people know if they have the same problem.
    I took it apart and aswell as Knocking the barrel pin back in (shocking) i found the spring which returns the trigger to the fully forward position was alittle weak so i gave it a tweek and it now returns fully forward. Job done
    Shouldnt need to really but as it feels right il have to put up with righting bsa wrongs.
    Cheers
    Rob

Nicely fixed mate

Yep, I'm thinking it would be nice to have breech shims and a breech bolt, instead of just a BSA pin

Good luck finding your way about the forum. Plenty of service and ex service folks on here too

Thanks glad I didn't have to have it back to the shop.
    Do you know if u can change the pin, or if I could just add some thread lock to the end?
    I imagine there will be a few armed service types around, just can't let go of a gun even if it is a pea shooter Lol.

Hrm, I've not had the breech pin out of mine, but:
    I doubt loctite would do much, as theres no thread.
    If it starts to move out again- There may be a 'front end' and a 'back end' to the pin. If that makes sense? so it may stay in better one way round.

Alternatively, ask on the general section here, or look on the BSA owners group.
    Theres a whole section on 'Lightning', but you may have to join (its free) before you can view it?
    Heres the link: http://bsaog.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=29.0 it might work for ya

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Hrm, I've not had the breech pin out of mine, but:
    I doubt loctite would do much, as theres no thread.
    If it starts to move out again- There may be a 'front end' and a 'back end' to the pin. If that makes sense? so it may stay in better one way round.

Alternatively, ask on the general section here, or look on the BSA owners group.
    Theres a whole section on 'Lightning', but you may have to join (its free) before you can view it?
    Heres the link: http://bsaog.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=29.0 it might work for ya
    I've got a Lightning that I've had for the last 24 years, never had any bother with the breech pin moving at all, and I've had it off a few times as I fitted a gas ram years ago because she kept breaking springs (mines' a FAC model). The safety was crap and I had to fix that. Locktite should work as it sets in an none air situation, so if the locktite is around where the breech parts are in contact, it will set and don't forget, there are three types, red, green and blue, all with varying strengths, it tells you what on the package. Hope this helps. Cheers Dave
    It's not the destination; but the journey that counts!
    You can take the lad out of Essex; but not Essex out of the lad!

new lad

Hi Rob
    And Welcome
    This is a great site you will love it

Welcome again

Thanks il get registered on bsaog as iv looked before but couldn't get to the meaty subjects as I'm not a member.
    I don't mind hammering it back in but it would be better if it didn't, I'm guessing the original lightning wasn't of notorious forign build lol.

Mr Magoo is offline Should Have Gone to SecsPavers
    Hello Rob and Welcome to the AirgunBBS.

Plenty of useful information and friendly, helpfull people on this forum.

ATB

Hi rob, I've got a lighting xl tac in .22, did you get it tuned or did you do it.
    Reason being is ive had mine for sale and it's not sold so it's staying and I wondered if it made a huge difference to your shooting as I think it's a great rifle.

Mike.
    Bolt actions speak louder than words.