Thread: Tasco Custom Shop ( any good) ?

Tasco Custom Shop ( any good) ?

Got the chance of 12-60-56 custom shop,any body got one, got good or bad points and what is the going rate for one. many thanks for your opinions

The Doctor is offline It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to
    Have a good look through it first if you can, and make sure that there is no play in the side wheel - if you find a good one they can be okay, but the few I have looked through have been ....acceptable. Also depends on how much you are having to pay for it;-)

LeeH
    Please tear carefully along the perforation.

Darren Petts Guest
    IIRC the 12-60 wasn't the best optically. I believe some were better than others. As Davros says check the thing for play in all the controls - it's an old scope and will have seen a lot of twiddling by now. Spares are made of unobtainium so if it breaks it's scrap. I've seen a number of much newer FT scopes give up the ghost. A good one will do the job perfectly but IMO most of these are well overpriced secondhand. I believe the price should reflect their age but it rarely does. They're often priced over £300 with a big wheel / butlers / sunshade / mounts but I'd be reluctant to part with anything much over £230 personally. Maybee I'm a tightwad though

I heard the 12-60 versions were dogs.

Definately try before you buy, i love my 8-40x56 (which i took a risk on and paid £175 via , boy was i pleased ), superb glass.

Mart.

The Doctor is offline It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Petts
    I Maybee I'm a tightwad though
    I agree on all counts;-)

LeeH
    Please tear carefully along the perforation.

I've got one and use it on all the shoots I go to. The 12-60 was much maligned as being the weakest of the three models, and it does have a few foibles but on the the other hand some very good points.

For example, the spacing between 45 and 55 yards on a 4 inch (10cm) wheel is about 2 cm. The focussing differential is almost as good at 50 mag as it is at 60 mag. The Big BSA - which I also have - has clearer optics but the gap between the 45 and 55 yard marks is about 6mm max, so although you can see the image snap in and out of focus better with the BSA, the Custom Shop gives a more useful indication of range. That is my experience, others may differ.

Mine is just a little temperature sensitive. If I zero it on a cool day with no sunshine, it will over-read at full range once the sun gets on it. A 55 yard target will measure up on the scale as nearer 60 yards. But I know this happens and can allow for it. It also happens with scopes that are a lot more expensive.

A downside of the 12-60 is its close focus, which is limited to about 13 yards. OK for BFTA courses but not for very short range reducers and mini kills.

HTH

Rich

I had a play with one last weekend. Great if you want to map stars, planets etc.
    At the x50 mag, I had to adjust my head to a painful angle just to see through the bleedin' thing.

Custom shop

Thanks guys i think ill buy another Big Nikko then seems a better deal for a little more cash an parts etc noproblem