Thread: In praise of Webley air pistols

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Rob,I love my pre-war Webleys,I truely do.But if I could fit them all out with .177 barrels I'd be happy. The firm eventually strengthened their .22 barrels-but not quickly enough. Design-wise,the J/F/C idea was grand.They came up with the "RR"of airpistols! As far as I can ascertain,Webley pistols are more envied than mocked.Not withstanding the fact the MkI pistol is as difficult to cock as the Senior,Junior and Premier are easy!Regards,Trev

Quote Originally Posted by trevor1 View Post
    Rob,I love my pre-war Webleys,I truely do.But if I could fit them all out with .177 barrels I'd be happy. The firm eventually strengthened their .22 barrels-but not quickly enough. Design-wise,the J/F/C idea was grand.They came up with the "RR"of airpistols! As far as I can ascertain,Webley pistols are more envied than mocked.Not withstanding the fact the MkI pistol is as difficult to cock as the Senior,Junior and Premier are easy!Regards,Trev
    Hi Trev,

Isn't that yet another advantage of owning Webley air pistols in that you can easily interchange .177 & .22 barrels ?

Regards

Brian

It is indeed BrianGot a spare .177 barrel for a MkII Target??????;-)

Quote Originally Posted by trevor1 View Post
    It is indeed BrianGot a spare .177 barrel for a MkII Target??????;-)
    Hi Trev,

Ok maybe not always easily but still possible. I do agree that pre-war Webley .22 barrels weren't the strongest but I have shot my .22 pre-war Webleys quite a lot and have never experienced any barrel bending although I have heard of these barrels being carefully straightened when they have become a bit deformed.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Trev,

Ok maybe not always easily but still possible. I do agree that pre-war Webley .22 barrels weren't the strongest but I have shot my .22 pre-war Webleys quite a lot and have never experienced any barrel bending although I have heard of these barrels being carefully straightened when they have become a bit deformed.

Regards

Brian
    Those bent barrels were probably bent by excited young lads being over-enthusiastic when cocking, pulling hard against the limit of the piston's movement rather than just cocking gently until the sear engages.

The .177s are a bit more hold-sensitive than the .22s I find. I prefer the .177s myself, and my .177 Tempest is the pistol I plink with most often, it's sometimes hard to relearn the knack of shooting it when I've not had it out for a while but when I get the knack back again, it's so satisfying, I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    it's so satisfying, I love it.
    All joking and jibbing apart - thats all that matters.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk