Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
Have a look at this close-up shot of the sear and spring, just ahead of and above the trigger.
http://www.luthier.ca/other/forum/Tempest_sear.jpg
Seems to me the spring is fine, was fine when I last assembled it and seems to function as it ought to. The trigger's action is normal. The sear leg showing just under (above) the spring couldn't be a lot longer without hitting the front of the trigger guard frame so it must be the right way around I think.

The tiny allen set screw in the trigger is indeed very loosely threaded. I'm out of Loctite, have to remember to get some next time I'm at a tool store. But checking it at all adjustments, from all the way in to almost all the way out, there's no change in the malfunction, so this isn't the problem.

I'll have a try tonight after my son gets to sleep. So morning tomorrow your time. I'll let you know what comes of yet another disassembly/reassembly routine. Thanks for the help!
I cannot make out the pic. When you strip the gun again, take out the safety. The trigger should still work ok. Remove the main spring and see if the gun cocks. Then try just putting the sear and stop pin in and cock the gun. You will probably have to fiddle the sear into the right position as you will not have a sear spring fitted. If you can get the gun to cock,then at least the holding face of the sear would seem to be ok. If it cocks then repeat with the trigger also fitted, but still no safety catch,sear spring or trigger guard. If it still cocks then take out trigger and refit safety and then trigger. If it is working, then refit sear spring and trigger guard. Finally if it is working, replace the mainspring.

Ps, when I fit the safety, I don't follow the Webley instructions. I just fit it with the cut out facing forwards and then put the big spring on to hold it in place.