Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: In praise of Webley air pistols

I nearly pre-empted your "Wobbly Webley" comments in my original post. Just think Ian, if you got into Webley pistols you could open up a whole new department within the Blackburn airgun emporium. Just flog some of that old tat you currently have to make room for some of our true airgunning heritage.
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    I nearly pre-empted your "Wobbly Webley" comments in my original post. Just think Ian, if you got into Webley pistols you could open up a whole new department within the Blackburn airgun emporium. Just flog some of that old tat you currently have to make room for some of our true airgunning heritage.
    '... got into Webley pistols ...'

I'd rather watch cricket.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Webley barrels

However fond the memories of Webley are,I still say they didn't make a fist of their .22 barrels. A barrel that is also serving as a lever should be beefy!Pre-war Webley .22 barrels are not. They assume the shape of a 'nana after modest use.Bar,humbug.

im still nursing my knuckles after a mishap with my brothers webley junior when i was 12. blimey i didnt do that again

I agree with I.J. Just been given a hardly used 1950's Webley Senior .177 and compared to my Diana Model Six its a load of crap. Heavy trigger, bog basic sights. The only fun I get from it is putting it back in the case.
    Dave

L

LOVE 'EM
    I've just added another two to the collection this weekend (and an Airsporter, just to balance it out a bit).

Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattatack View Post
    im still nursing my knuckles after a mishap with my brothers webley junior when i was 12. blimey i didnt do that again
    I once nipped my leg while cocking a long barreled (?) Wobbly pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    I agree with I.J. Just been given a hardly used 1950's Webley Senior .177 and compared to my Diana Model Six its a load of crap. Heavy trigger, bog basic sights. The only fun I get from it is putting it back in the case.
    Dave
    Lets us stand, back-to-back, and defend ourselves from the rose tinted, 'Ah....... but its a Webley' brigade.

Ive owned a couple but soon got rid of them for something better - which wasn't difficult.

ATB
    Ian

For no real reason I have always had an aversion to Webley pistols but now that maybe changing. There is something definatley Victorian in their build style and quality and many times I have heard

"To me they are the nearest thing to shooting handguns pre ban"

I think it is time to rethink my position on this especially after hearing about the exploits of GGGR and

"a sip of wine"

That sip is usually 2 bottles!

Barrow Bury St Edmunds duck hunting central
    Pure gasworks charm. I love them.
    When your world is full of strange arrangements

And gravity won't pull you through

I like the "Gasworks charm" very steampunk...only a matter of time before they appear in a novel or a film...?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    I like the "Gasworks charm" very steampunk...only a matter of time before they appear in a novel or a film...?
    I thought they already did - 'Pretty Shitty Bang, Bang!'

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Dave
    Of course it's not as good as a Mod 6. One's a plinking pistol, the other's a proper target pistol. Compare like with like and the Webleys stack up quite well. If you really dislike it that much I'd be happy to relieve you of it.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Dave
    Give you £20 for it
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    You have to look closely, one does appear in "Goldfinger", it's dressed up a little and is masquerading as a tranquiliser gun, the gun that they shoot Bond with just after he's talked his way out of bisection by laser. A grappling hook gun made for the original ALIEN film was also based on a Webley Junior, it was attached to one of the spacesuits worn by the child actors playing the crew as they explored the derelict alien ship.

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Give you £20 for it
    Wow, what an offer. Sooner bin it