Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: In praise of Webley air pistols

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    Wow, what an offer. Sooner bin it
    That would please IJ no end - one less for him to worry about
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    Wow, what an offer. Sooner bin it
    OK, £10, final offer
    Good deals with these members

I still think that they remain a major factor in the airgunning education of many of us. As such, they should be treated with respect, unless they are unfortunate enough to live in the Blackburn area, where they will be lobbest from the highest building. You heathen, "Herr" Jones.

Wobbly
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    '... got into Webley pistols ...'

I'd rather watch cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I once nipped my leg while cocking a long barreled (?) Wobbly pistol.

Lets us stand, back-to-back, and defend ourselves from the rose tinted, 'Ah....... but its a Webley' brigade.

Ive owned a couple but soon got rid of them for something better - which wasn't difficult.

ATB
    Ian
    Does not like Relums,Webleys or cricket
    I can see a "wicker man" made from discarded B2 stocks being constructed in the near future
    Unless someone has a better suggestion?
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    Does not like Relums,Webleys or cricket
    I can see a "wicker man" made from discarded B2 stocks being constructed in the near future
    Unless someone has a better suggestion?
    Surely he can't be all bad if he doesn't like "wobbly Webleys" which are surely an invention of a plumber on a bad day, ...mike...

Quote Originally Posted by mickson View Post
    Surely he can't be all bad if he doesn't like "wobbly Webleys" which are surely an invention of a plumber on a bad day, ...mike...
    Classic! I'll nick that if I may.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

While researching for the article I've written about Hy-Score air pistols, I found that for research purposes, the designer of the Hy-Score bought a a Diana break-barrel, a Haenel that was cocked by pushing the grip towards the back of the pistol, an Em-Ge Zenit overlever, and finally a Webley Senior. The Webley was his favourite of the lot.

The Webley overlever is a classic, there are no two ways about it. It's compact, simple, reasonably safe and if looked after will last a lifetime, and was part of our heritage for getting on for seventy years. You can scoff, if you don't like it, it's your choice, and your bad taste, but you can't change the fact that hundreds of thousands of them were manufactured and the vast majority have been loved by many airgunners.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    While researching for the article I've written about Hy-Score air pistols, I found that for research purposes, the designer of the Hy-Score bought a a Diana break-barrel, a Haenel that was cocked by pushing the grip towards the back of the pistol, an Em-Ge Zenit overlever, and finally a Webley Senior. The Webley was his favourite of the lot.

The Webley overlever is a classic, there are no two ways about it. It's compact, simple, reasonably safe and if looked after will last a lifetime, and was part of our heritage for getting on for seventy years. You can scoff, if you don't like it, it's your choice, and your bad taste, but you can't change the fact that hundreds of thousands of them were manufactured and the vast majority have been loved by many airgunners.
    Definitely agree with all of the above sentiments. The Webley air pistol is compact, manufactured to firearm standards and an iconic part of our airgun past. You also experience a satisfying recoil sensation when the trigger is released instead of the dead nothingness you get when you shoot a pre-charged air pistol. Finally, if you follow the normal precision shooting techniques especially "follow through" you may be surprised with the accuracy these pistols can produce.

Regards

Brian

Rob,I love my pre-war Webleys,I truely do.But if I could fit them all out with .177 barrels I'd be happy. The firm eventually strengthened their .22 barrels-but not quickly enough. Design-wise,the J/F/C idea was grand.They came up with the "RR"of airpistols! As far as I can ascertain,Webley pistols are more envied than mocked.Not withstanding the fact the MkI pistol is as difficult to cock as the Senior,Junior and Premier are easy!Regards,Trev

Quote Originally Posted by trevor1 View Post
    Rob,I love my pre-war Webleys,I truely do.But if I could fit them all out with .177 barrels I'd be happy. The firm eventually strengthened their .22 barrels-but not quickly enough. Design-wise,the J/F/C idea was grand.They came up with the "RR"of airpistols! As far as I can ascertain,Webley pistols are more envied than mocked.Not withstanding the fact the MkI pistol is as difficult to cock as the Senior,Junior and Premier are easy!Regards,Trev
    Hi Trev,

Isn't that yet another advantage of owning Webley air pistols in that you can easily interchange .177 & .22 barrels ?

Regards

Brian

It is indeed BrianGot a spare .177 barrel for a MkII Target??????;-)

Quote Originally Posted by trevor1 View Post
    It is indeed BrianGot a spare .177 barrel for a MkII Target??????;-)
    Hi Trev,

Ok maybe not always easily but still possible. I do agree that pre-war Webley .22 barrels weren't the strongest but I have shot my .22 pre-war Webleys quite a lot and have never experienced any barrel bending although I have heard of these barrels being carefully straightened when they have become a bit deformed.

Regards

Brian

webley pistols

I had a .177 tempest from new in the early 90's, wasn't very impressed & it was hard to hit anything with it. Just recently i sold a .22 one for a freind on here & had a bit plink with it first. It was a totally different experience to shoot(with .22 thunderbolts) accurate, much less recoil & if I'd had any spare dosh I'd have bought it myself. Anyone else found the .22's shoot better? Or was my .177 a friday afternoon model.
    Last edited by junglie; 24-07-2013 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Trev,

Ok maybe not always easily but still possible. I do agree that pre-war Webley .22 barrels weren't the strongest but I have shot my .22 pre-war Webleys quite a lot and have never experienced any barrel bending although I have heard of these barrels being carefully straightened when they have become a bit deformed.

Regards

Brian
    Those bent barrels were probably bent by excited young lads being over-enthusiastic when cocking, pulling hard against the limit of the piston's movement rather than just cocking gently until the sear engages.

The .177s are a bit more hold-sensitive than the .22s I find. I prefer the .177s myself, and my .177 Tempest is the pistol I plink with most often, it's sometimes hard to relearn the knack of shooting it when I've not had it out for a while but when I get the knack back again, it's so satisfying, I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    it's so satisfying, I love it.
    All joking and jibbing apart - thats all that matters.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk