Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: In praise of Webley air pistols

Matter of taste I suppose, but it's always seemed to me (since lusting after a Tempest in 1979 but deciding to spend my limited student resources on a Leica M2 instead) that the Hurricane's longer sight radius isn't really relevant in a pistol with a profound 'recoil' - the jumping downwards and slightly sideways which both the Tempest and Hurricane share. Putting a scope on a Tempest (after all, the Hurricane and the Tempest are the same pistol with only part of the frame and the rear sight adjustments being different) seemed then and seems still to be an absurdity. You can point as accurately as you like, but these things just aren't capable of one hole accuracy at 10 metres or more the way a proper match pistol is. So the longer sight radius of the Hurricane is a bit misleading in my opinion. There's enough sight radius with the Tempest and with the previous steel pistols to match the potential of the pistol's action, which is inherently limiting. I'm not saying that this dismisses the Hurricane, only that it seems reduced to a matter of taste - does one want a longer looking pistol or a shorter one. It's more a visual, tactile decision than a functional one.

An Interesting but Wobbly Observation

An Interesting but Wobbly Observation indeed !

In the first round of the 10 metre Summer 2013 MPL series I noticed that Paul Wrey scored a measly 177 with his technically superior WEBLEY PREMIER, whilst Ian Jones ( President of the Webley Air Pistol Fan Club) actually beat him with his very modest Steyr LP10 by scoring a superb 178.

Pauls WEBLEY PREMIER has also had the advantage of being nicely run-in as it has been around since the 1970's, whereas Ian's Steyr LP10 is almost brand new, so he had very little chance of competing in this David v Goliath competition - but still managed to achieve this crushing victory.

Well done Ian - great result
    Last edited by zooma; 20-08-2013 at 07:53 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Thank you.
    Actually I used a FWB65 which, as we all know, is a German built SPRING pistol with a good trigger and superbly engineered unlike some (no names).

You would have thought that the originator of this competitions rules would have realised that a Steyr would not be eligible for this type of competition and that my opponent, in this case Paul 'Hippo' Wray could out shoot most people with a Gat! Its sickening.

Lets see if his 'Wobbly' pistol has survived until the next round of the competition which starts on Sunday 25th Aug.

ATB
    'Wobbly killer Jones.'
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Thank you.
    Actually I used a FWB65 which, as we all know, is a German built SPRING pistol with a good trigger and superbly engineered unlike some (no names).

You would have thought that the originator of this competitions rules would have realised that a Steyr would not be eligible for this type of competition and that my opponent, in this case Paul 'Hippo' Wray could out shoot most people with a Gat! Its sickening.

Lets see if his 'Wobbly' pistol has survived until the next round of the competition which starts on Sunday 25th Aug.

ATB
    'Wobbly killer Jones.'
    Ha Ha.....sorry I woke you up!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Ha Ha.....sorry I woke you up!
    Im always up at the crack of dinner. Countdown is breakfast T V for me.

I intend to unleash my own Wobbly Premier onto an unsuspecting audience at a certain 10m range tomorrow evening. Dont care that she is in the man's calibre as it is just so much fun to shoot, ( but not as much fun as my current fave BSA Magnum 240!)

Gerard, I can well remember spending many nights attempting to get my own kids to sleep while perched on the edge of the bed. I found that a large dose of Calpol and the wearing of ear protectors worked well. I still enjoy the Calpol!

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    I intend to unleash my own Wobbly Premier onto an unsuspecting audience at a certain 10m range tomorrow evening. Dont care that she is in the man's calibre as it is just so much fun to shoot, ( but not as much fun as my current fave BSA Magnum 240!)

Gerard, I can well remember spending many nights attempting to get my own kids to sleep while perched on the edge of the bed. I found that a large dose of Calpol and the wearing of ear protectors worked well. I still enjoy the Calpol!

Andy
    That explains a lot about your James (and his puffy watch). Ten minutes over the gas ring did the same thing cheaper round this way.

ATB
    Ian

Had to look up Calpol, as it's not marketed here under that name. Yikes! Reminds me of my sister-in-law's habit of feeding her kid 'Children's Tylenol' syrup throughout her early years. Scary stuff. My kid's never been near that kind of thing and he's doing just fine un-medicated. But you're saying YOU were downing the stuff? Still... yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Had to look up Calpol, as it's not marketed here under that name. Yikes! Reminds me of my sister-in-law's habit of feeding her kid 'Children's Tylenol' syrup throughout her early years. Scary stuff. My kid's never been near that kind of thing and he's doing just fine un-medicated. But you're saying YOU were downing the stuff? Still... yikes.
    I think Amacs comments re Calpol were a bit tongue in cheek.

I know for a fact that he over doses on Sanatogen.

ATB
    Ian

You've got me looking that one up as well. Dangers of joining a forum out of one's own continent I suppose. So which one, 'mum to be'? ;-)

As Ian has suggested Gerard, Calpol was the medicine of the moment for when kids were teething or generally had a temperature. Mild paracetamol apparently. I was only joking regarding me taking the stuff as I much prefer to send myself to sleep these days with old copies of Airgun World that I have bound and always to hand.

Looking at my own three boys (late twenties ish) I wonder if the application of Calpol has had some lasting effect as they are more of a pain now than they were then! The eldest, as Ian has said, actually wears a white watch!!!! Ye-Gods.

Anyway, looking forward to some card blasting fun with Wobbly and Magnum this evening. Look out Jones!!!!

Andy

Not long bought myself this.

My neighbour appeared with it one day and asked if I was interested in buying it.

Logun Mk2 Professional Karbine .22 MTC Taipan 4-16x50.
    Original Model 45 .22 AGS Tru Hunter 3-9x50.
    BSA Mercury Mk1 3-9x50 AGS

Picked myself this up just the other week there.

Logun Mk2 Professional Karbine .22 MTC Taipan 4-16x50.
    Original Model 45 .22 AGS Tru Hunter 3-9x50.
    BSA Mercury Mk1 3-9x50 AGS

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post

Anyway, looking forward to some card blasting fun with Wobbly and Magnum this evening. Look out Jones!!!!

Andy
    Unfortunately Andys Wobbly pistol didn't live up to expectations http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...tml?sort=6&o=1 and had to be replaced by something far more suitable, something more robust, cheaper but not as common, a Nori house brick.
    The club 'Gladys' inspected the Wobbly for a good 30 minutes http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...tml?sort=6&o=0and came to his expert conclusion - "Its broken" R.I.P. (Rust In Peace). http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...tml?sort=6&o=2

You swine Jones. Lets hope the minor problem with the gun not being able to cock is resolved very shortly. It couldn't have occurred at a worse time or place, I must admit. Still, with it being so well engineered, I am sure and confident that the issue is minor and said Premier will be up and running very soon.

The gun will also require a period of psychiatric counselling following her abuse by your hands this evening. I cant wait for one of your own guns to go down when there happens to be so many witnesses. I don't seem to be having much luck with Wobblys at the moment, but still feel a strange attachment to them, despite the embarrassments. Next time this happens she will be staying in the bin though. Now BSA 240 Magnums, superb pistols that are fun to shoot and don't break down.

Andy