Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: In praise of Webley air pistols

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    You swine Jones. Lets hope the minor problem with the gun not being able to cock is resolved very shortly. It couldn't have occurred at a worse time or place, I must admit. Still, with it being so well engineered, I am sure and confident that the issue is minor and said Premier will be up and running very soon.

The gun will also require a period of psychiatric counselling following her abuse by your hands this evening. I cant wait for one of your own guns to go down when there happens to be so many witnesses. I don't seem to be having much luck with Wobblys at the moment, but still feel a strange attachment to them, despite the embarrassments. Next time this happens she will be staying in the bin though. Now BSA 240 Magnums, superb pistols that are fun to shoot and don't break down.

Andy
    So, quite the opposite to Wobblys then. The Wobblys natural environment is the bin.

My guns are always breaking down. Manys the time my Steyr has put a shot in the 8 ring when I KNOW it was a 10!

Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    You swine Jones. Lets hope the minor problem with the gun not being able to cock is resolved very shortly. It couldn't have occurred at a worse time or place, I must admit. Still, with it being so well engineered, I am sure and confident that the issue is minor and said Premier will be up and running very soon.

The gun will also require a period of psychiatric counselling following her abuse by your hands this evening. I cant wait for one of your own guns to go down when there happens to be so many witnesses. I don't seem to be having much luck with Wobblys at the moment, but still feel a strange attachment to them, despite the embarrassments. Next time this happens she will be staying in the bin though. Now BSA 240 Magnums, superb pistols that are fun to shoot and don't break down.

Andy
    guessing this ^ is a worn sear, which was/is a common problem. Usually some swine sells the gun when this is coming on and either fitting a new mainspring or actually lubricating the gun stops it from cocking. Also look for worn cocking shoe or stretched pin holes on the linkage. Unlikely to be a worn fulrum point.
    While the Tempest does not look as good as the earlier pistols, the trigger is more solid.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Thanks for the advice. Trigger pins have never been out by the look of them. I reckon worn sear as well !

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Faith

Andy
    Come on Andy keep the Wobbly faith, don't let Herr IJ Steyr grind you down :-)
    Personally I find the opinion of someone who feels the need diss a Wobbly pistol, AND who shoots a Pink Steyr, slightly suspect :-)

Re your ,ahem, cocking problem....... cue Benny Hill music :-) The Chambers exploded view is OK but if anyone could help me with a Premier stripping/reassembly sequence it would be most helpful.
    Regards
    Wobbly Hippo

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    HERE
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-strips-(pt-1) ---posts 26 and 27 I think. If you get stuck pm me.
    Cheers Guy
    Wobbly Hippo

http://postimg.org/image/ae1ftcb59/

Rust In Pieces.

Good luck with the repair.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

The gun already has a complex without you further embarrassing her you nasty, nasty man.

Andy

been thinking
    As the Hurricane was made before the Tempest, did Webley tool up for making the Tempest body or just machine the sticky out sight bit of a Hurricane?

Re that pic of the Premier, the fulcrum point and pins on the linkage look ok so it is probably the sear or the cocking shoe/link worn.
    Must be pretty crappily made if one of these bits needs replacing after 40 years
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Having read the book Guy, I seem to remember that the Webley board were chuffed to bits when they realised that they just needed to do a hatchet job on the Hurricane chassis. Apparently, one of the factory engineers knocked up a prototype in his spare time as they realised that the new look models of the time were not selling as well as they might.

I am sure that I will shortly be corrected if I have omitted anything, and before you get tempted to comment Herr IJ Steyr, please leave this thread alone for those of us not inclined to air pistol cruelty.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    It makes you think about why they didn,t do the same with the Typhoon. sure Ij would do the mod
    I wouldn,t mind getting hold of a cheap Typhoon to go with my nieces Hurricane and Tempest.
    Some more Webley musings.
    I think it would have been a good idea if the lug/barrel pivot was separate to the barrel and then the barrels could be threaded in like on the Hawk mk 2. That would have made it easier to swap barrels and probably some would have sold as accessories?
    How about an after market metal trigger guard? Maybe a better rearsight that would fit the Tempest?
    Going down the Crosman route you could have had a Tempest with options

Choice of wooden grips including ambi ones.
    A shoulder stock that screwed on like the Crosman rather than that silly arm brace.
    Threaded barrel pivot with option to change barrels easily
    Couple of barrel lengths and cocking links so they would not foul the trigger guard.
    A better adjustable rearsight that would screw on in place of the Tempest one.
    How about a piston with a thread in the end to hold the piston washer,rather than that mushroom thing? Two or Three different washer thicknesses could be supplied to change the stroke for a "Target Tempest"

Imagine laying out for that lot in one go in a nice presentation box

The Senior I bought off Crusader arrived yesterday. It is in fair nick, apart from a broken grip and some bad rusting pitting on the grip frame and end cap. I think that maybe the gun had a damp rag left on it at some point?
    Anyhow, I tried a few shots and it felt like it had a lot of dry grease in it, although it did shoot ok.
    It has been stripped, cleaned and lubed today. The piston was a swine to get out because of the old dry grease. Anyhow it came apart and I cleaned the bits up with meths. I took the piston ring of and cleaned out the groove.
    The gun was lubricated with Gn paste, a little LT2 and a drop of SM50 for under the ring and to help the piston get started in the cylinder. There were no bad burrs on the trigger,sear or housing and they had Gn paste put on them.
    Back together and plinking well

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

aaah! still using the good old "sm50" where would we be without it
    ps ,hows that scorpion ! the friday night bottle top basher; after a sip or two of the SCOTCH not the irish whiskey!!.
    Last edited by red bob; 06-10-2013 at 05:18 PM.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Quote Originally Posted by red bob View Post
    aaah! still using the good old "sm50" where would we be without it
    ps ,hows that scorpion ! the friday night bottle top basher; after a sip or two of the SCOTCH not the irish whiskey!!.
    The Scorpion (Saturday night bottle top basher) is well although not used much as still looking for a house. The last time I used it for a few shots was about 3 weeks ago, after a bottle and half of wine. The light was pretty badly fading. Five shots, 5 caps and then away. I tend to use a rough Tempest these days.
    How about punching out some of those double ended sight plates for the Tempests? 1 Wide notch and 1 narrow.

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

i ll get my rough tempest out and have a look.its the pistol i plink with the most to!
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

With all this attention on Tempests... might you guys indulge a relative newbie with a bit of technical assistance for mine? I've got a .22" Tempest from about 1997 in great shape, put a new spring in it last month and it shot well. But then the thing stopped cocking. Sometimes. And now the barrel just refuses to pass about 132 degrees relative to the cylinder, nowhere near catching the sear. I'm sure I did something slightly stupid in putting it back together but I've had it apart three times since putting in the new spring and it just won't work any more. Can't see a single thing wrong. I've studied the parts blow-up and various folks' trigger assembly pictorials and it looks like I'm doing everything right. But does this particular barrel angle of 132 degrees, stopping cold like it's running up against something, give enough of a clue for experienced Tempest mechanics to sort me out?