Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: In praise of Webley air pistols

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    At a guess Gerard,If you are sure you have put it together right and ( hooky bit of sear spring on the sear and the leg of it goes up to the relieved bit of the trigger guard) the trigger and sear might not be aligned. Turn your gun upside down and have a look at the trigger and sear. You should be able to see the long leg of the sear,between the trigger and the sear stop pin. If you cannot see it then you need to pull the trigger and fiddle with a small screwdriver or rod and push on the short bit of the sear to rotate it until the long leg is visible and then release the trigger. With this though, the barrel usually gets just over vertical, maybe 100-110 degrees to the cylinder. If everything looks ok, then before you strip the gun again to look if the sear spring is broken, look at the trigger adjusting allen screw. These often undo and can foul on the trigger guard when cocking. These sounds more like you 132 degree thing. If it is fouling, then a touch of thread lock and wind the screw in.
    Hi Guy & All,
    I too am into this Tempest thing , Having been presented with one at a very fair price for my HPA " Webley "
    ( Thanks mate )

I can see what the talk is about with the trigger , I do not know ! But it looks like it has to be cocked to work !
    I mention this as its awkward to keep inserting & Removing the piston,
    Guy,s kind words & Info have helped a great deal,

On to the Tempest, Its a small piston with a plastic seal, Its only going to make about 3-4 Fpe at the most, Even in .22 , ( As this one is )
    It does have a long cocking stroke albeit with a small OD spring ,
    I am quite impressed with the gun, The short length ( Aided by the overcocking design ) & a good barrel length ,

I do not know about the remainder of the Webley pistol range, guessing they are the same, Or very similiar,
    This design is Ideal for a Hpa/Co2 conversion ? ( I am making the piston as we speak ) It will have a short cocking stroke, & Very light main spring & will look identical
    ( Almost Ha ha ) Power !!!!!! An easily limited 6 Fpe,
    Ged.

Last edited by gedfinn 2; 14-11-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Had to insert " I do not "

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    I was thinking Why are Juniors made the way they are (Tube brazed? into a frame ) and the Mk1,Senior and Premier made the way they are? I think a bigger pistol built like the junior would look pretty good and vice versa.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Why not? I guess as the Junior pistols were intended to be cheaper and within reach of saved pocket money, using a separate tube threaded into a machined body casting was an easier (and so cheaper) method of manufacture. If they machined a Junior in the same fashion as a Senior their costs would have been too similar and there wouldn't have been the required product differentiation...But that's a guess...

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    I've not tried a good plink after a "sip" of wine for quite a while----but I did demonstrate the "standing on one leg, shooting a bottle cap" technique the other week.
    The rough pistols mentioned in a recent thread are still on the table and I'd like to get a set of wooden grip blanks for the leather piston seal/brass barrel linered .177 Tempest, that is currently sharing a set of placky grips with the Hurricane. I'd offered this back to the chap who sent it me or even just an extended loan period.
    Sometimes these crappy old things surprise me
    A slightly tipsy plink (bottle and half of 14.9% home made apple wine) tonight ,18-20 shots at 7 1/2 yards,shooting at bottle caps, with a Scorpion, Hurricane, Premier mk2, Tempest and Pre War Junior and only 2 misses ----and they were with the Premier that I have not lightnend the trigger on yet. Not bad some of these old guns eh?
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

My first Webley was a Hurricane bought 20 years ago. Good pistol but my favorite fun 22 has been a 1938 Colt Woodsman designed by John Browning, a classic. My goal in getting back into airguns has been to reproduce the feel of cartridge shooting in my backyard. Got a Webley Premier "E" last week and it gives that experience in the same blued steel. It has the same nice trigger, great grip, similar accuracy, feel and weight of my Colt. The rearward piston movement is a key I think. Similar dimensions see below;

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps9fibhcis.jpg
    Last edited by 45flint; 11-06-2017 at 01:36 PM.

What sometimes gets me is how some of the rough guns shoot really well. The really surprising thing is that I have sort of by accident, being given bits of guns and sourced missing bits and somehow they come together into really good pistols.
    I still think it is something to do with them appreciating being given a new lease of life

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    My first Webley was a Hurricane bought 20 years ago. Good pistol but my favorite fun 22 has been a 1938 Colt Woodsman designed by John Browning, a classic. My goal in getting back into airguns has been to reproduce the feel of cartridge shooting in my backyard. Got a Webley Premier "E" last week and it gives that experience in the same blued steel. It has the same nice trigger, great grip, similar accuracy, feel and weight of my Colt. The rearward piston movement is a key I think. Similar dimensions see below;

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps9fibhcis.jpg
    Fun to bring back old posts, above I had just bought my first Webley Premier at a airgun show, since then I’ve added a few in a pretty short time. Favorite at this point probably my 1949? Transitional Senior with old style trigger, not a mark on it, shoots like new.

For some reason they are still popular, this is may mates local market stall this morning with a corner full with a wodge of Webleys.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD