Thread: Walther Olympia

Walther Olympia

Wanted old break barrel style Walther Olympia.
    Have an HW55 for px if it would help you to part with it.
    The currency for Wisdom is Respect. So please do not enter a transaction if you do not have the means to pay

Walther

Exactly What model are you looking for? A LG55 or a LGV ?
    Which model stock ? Barrel weight or not ?
    Walther made endless variations on the theme. :-)

------------------------------------------
    Frank

walther

thought walther olympia was a pistol ??
    scorpion lightning walther lgu

The break barrel reference in the first post would suggest Walther's LG55 or LGV as Frank points out.

Any excuse to see another photo of that rather nice Walther collection is a good thing in my book.

Olympia in this context refers to the stock shape, in essence the "normal almost sporter like" standard stock, available in both Beech and Walnut.

I've not seen any early LG-55 literature that referred to the stock as the Olympia style, it seems to be a term introduced alongside the LGV in 1963 (?).

Well worth seeking out. IMO the very best recoiling target springer.

Happy shooting.

Walther

Given that I may not expect a wide choice on offer. I would be ameanable to any Walther break barrel, recoiling target rifle. I have used and admired, a moving target model some years ago, but I expect they are golden hens teeth to find!
    Would very much welcome any edification as concerns the various models within the break barrel range, as I cannot find much info.
    The currency for Wisdom is Respect. So please do not enter a transaction if you do not have the means to pay

Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    Given that I may not expect a wide choice on offer. I would be ameanable to any Walther break barrel, recoiling target rifle. I have used and admired, a moving target model some years ago, but I expect they are golden hens teeth to find!
    Would very much welcome any edification as concerns the various models within the break barrel range, as I cannot find much info.

Never EVER seen or heard about a LG55 (or LGV) moving target break barrel model made by Walther!
    Whish I could find one to ad to "The Walther Family" as I am trying to collect ALL the stock variations Walther made.

The most common models are the LG55M (Master) or the lesser common LG55T (Tyrolean).
    All other stock models are RARE and hard to find when you want one .......

The above are best sought in Germany and one of the best sites is Egun.de ,allthough shipping to the UK could become a problem .
    Piston seal are allmost allways gone and a new adaption has to be made to fit a Weihrauch seal or a new one made of nylon has to be fitted (when the threads are not being damaged).

-------------------------------------
    Frank

Walther LGV Olympia

Hello! new here and i want to share some info about the LGV olympia.

I was lucky to get my hands on a very early Walther LGV Olympia. I replaced the piston seal for a better aftermarket seal and i could buy a new two piece original spring for it. The rifle had the one piece spring and the original piston seal in it. Of corse was not much left of the piston seal after all those years. When i had cleaned everything and put everything together i found out that it was not possible to cock the rifle because of the plastic spring guide that connect the two springs. The plastic guide was to long and bumped to the inside of the piston when i had a few centimeters left to break the barrel all the way down. Of corse o could shorten the spring guide a bit but i thought i would better to have the one piece spring in it. I heard that there are LGV olympia’s with two piece springs. Maybe someone knows if the two piece spring came on the later models? Did the early models had the one piece spring? Serial number on my LGV olympia is 212149 and in great condition for it,s age. Would be happy for a reply from you guys that have more knowledge about this model.

All the best from Sweden.

Hi to op sold all mine to protek after no interest on here. Check their site out the 53 shoots very nice!
    I have fitted FWB double springs to mine using the Walther connector /guide.
    The LGV spring guide is shorter to the ones fitted to the 55 by about a cm
    Cheers ian

This thread is quite interesting, but it’s eight years old….

Quote Originally Posted by Weihrauchsports View Post
    Hello! new here and i want to share some info about the LGV olympia.

I was lucky to get my hands on a very early Walther LGV Olympia. I replaced the piston seal for a better aftermarket seal and i could buy a new two piece original spring for it. The rifle had the one piece spring and the original piston seal in it. Of corse was not much left of the piston seal after all those years. When i had cleaned everything and put everything together i found out that it was not possible to cock the rifle because of the plastic spring guide that connect the two springs. The plastic guide was to long and bumped to the inside of the piston when i had a few centimeters left to break the barrel all the way down. Of corse o could shorten the spring guide a bit but i thought i would better to have the one piece spring in it. I heard that there are LGV olympia’s with two piece springs. Maybe someone knows if the two piece spring came on the later models? Did the early models had the one piece spring? Serial number on my LGV olympia is 212149 and in great condition for it,s age. Would be happy for a reply from you guys that have more knowledge about this model.

All the best from Sweden.
    Welcome to the BBS. To the best of my knowledge, the LGV Olympia has a single mainspring like the LG55, rather than the twin counter-wound set up like the LGV Spezial.
    It may be possible that late Olympias had the Spezial type twin set up but if yours is early then it wouldn't have. Im almost certain both models have the same length cylinders so in theory you could fit the Spezial internals to the Olympia.
    Im wondering if the dimensions of your new springs are the issue rather than the central guide?
    Last edited by Drew451; 05-10-2021 at 06:23 PM.

Walther LGV Olympia

Thanks for your reply.

The strange thing is that the only difference between the LVG "Olympia" and the "Spezial" should be the stock. The mechanical part should be identical as shown in an exploaded view i have seen. Thats why i was so strange to me that the guide that connect the two springs bumped into the inside from the piston when i had only a little bit left to cock the rifle. The one piece spring is even one inch longer than the two piece spring.
    Did some shooting today and on 25 meters and i had ten shots within a half inch with JSB exact 4.52 mm. Will do some 10 meter shooting soon. There is the rifle made for and i think the results will be better with the open sights on that distance. Have to buy som match flat head pellets for the LGV.

Quote Originally Posted by Weihrauchsports View Post
    Thanks for your reply.

The strange thing is that the only difference between the LGV "Olympia" and the "Spezial" should be the stock.
    I could be very wrong, but I don't think that is correct.

Both the late "plain LGV" and early "LGV Spezial" abandoned the "Olympia" stock, for what Walther collectors refer to as the "UIT" one: a squared-up design with shallow parallel-sided fore end, mirroring Walther's rimfire match guns of the day. I believe what first differentiated LGV from LGVS was only the end-to-end springs, and a matte-finished barrel sleeve. The three bottom rifles in the left stack of frakor's amazing photo, moving up, are: early LGVS, late LGV, LGV Olympia.

Later Spezials had a thicker-walled receiver tube, milled scope grooves replacing the spot-welded ramp, re-worked trigger internals, and a deeper stock with sloped fore end bottom. The second-from-bottom rifle in the photo's right stack is one. The diffs between the LGV and Spezial, seem much less than between early and late Spezials...

Either way, Walthers are lovely but maddeningly confusing! Improvements came in an incremental - but never-ending - stream.
    Last edited by MDriskill; 06-10-2021 at 11:11 PM.