Thread: Baikal Makarov MP-654K

Baikal Makarov MP-654K

Hi a mate of mine is thinking about getting the Baikal Makarov MP-654K but has been told that the older ones are better than the new ones, what if any diffrences are there and when did the changes come about. As these dont come up for sale verry often what would be a good price for a cassed one?

Cheers

Chris
    Air Arms TX200 .177, Weihrauch HW80 .22
    Webley Mk1 .177, Gamo Compact

Mak

Buy new one here:

http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/airgun_mp654K.htm

SH one should be less.

New ones are still all steel, only the slide is manufactured differently. Change happened about 6-8 years ago.

Old style or new style, it still needs polishing of trigger parts to feel right.

German ones and a lot of SH ones are with low power valves, beware.

Ayosha

Earlier ones had machined slide where as newer ones are cast

Some newer ones have gaps between slide and body

Some say that older ones a better quality and shoot better - others say that newer ones shoot better

You pays your money and takes your choice

Ive owned both and couldnt see that much difference between them. Loud bang - not very powerful or accurate. Good fun and will probably outlast a number of owners

Both okay

All Maks are a cut above the competition my friend . Any airgun will benefit from a polish and tune so in reality little difference . A tuned modern one will be better than an old original left about doing nothing . There are kits available now to tune these up .

I've a 1999 Makarov and 2011 version

I'm sure you have read the reviews or perhaps seen the spot the differences videos on YouTube (if not have peek).

The obvious cosmetic differences are the now cast slide, it is lighter and thinner on the 2011 vs the heavy machined version on the 1999, in addition the 2011 has a cut away by the firing pin, the sight line is narrower (4 dots vs 5) and the rear sight thinner as well. As the slide is thinner this accounts for the gap which people mention and you can look down and see through the ejection port.

2011 has a cut away in the hammer, the 1999 as well as solid has a hint of red to the metal which is what the real steel have.

The sear spring looks slightly thicker but not much on the 1999. 1999 has the bigger authentic grip screw.

I would say the lower frame is identical though.

One thing I did find though was that when I put my upgraded magazine in the 1999 I'm not getting as much power as in the 2011 model (highs of 427 FPS vs 492). I have put an upgraded breech seal in the 1999 so it should be the same.
    I also found that gamo lead are as accurate in both, yet if I use copper coated steel BB's the 1999 shots about 5" higher (not poa)

Here is a photo comparing slides, spring, hammers, screws
    http://instagr.am/p/UYZ6cqEQmA/

This is a side by side look and you can see the 1999 has the beard slide.

http://instagr.am/p/UOVoUSkQql/

I prefer the 1999 for the look at weight of the slide, but was and am still happy with the 2011 and all in all think these are great little pistols.

Differing

Old one have rifled barrels , later are all smooth bore.
    Old spec ones closer to the real thing .

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Earlier ones had machined slide where as newer ones are cast

Some newer ones have gaps between slide and body

Some say that older ones a better quality and shoot better - others say that newer ones shoot better

You pays your money and takes your choice

Ive owned both and couldnt see that much difference between them. Loud bang - not very powerful or accurate. Good fun and will probably outlast a number of owners
    All the Baikal slides are cast. Then machined to final measurements.
    Just that some have better machining than others.