Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bell target - melbourne marksman

Bell target - melbourne marksman

We will be holding our first Bell Target inter - club competition at the end of the month.The first HOME leg will take place on the Thursday 31st January at our venue in Derby (see our website if you are interested in where we are) - We have invited our nearest rivals, Redhill Revolvers from Leicester,for the first of hopefully many club competitions.

We are hoping each club will field at least 8 competitors to challenge for the East Midlands Inter Club Trophy.

We have designed a set of rules based loosely around the old Hinckley League rules - but basically we have stated that any .177 rifle can be used that is under 7ftlbs muzzle energy and using open sights or dioptre sights.Each competitor will shoot 6 scoring shots per round ,with a maximum acheivable score of 30.6 (we are using the 5.1 scoring system for a bull shot that rings the bell,with no evidence of clipping the face plate - a clean bull)

If anyone is interested in the full set of rules I can send a PDF copy via email or post a set of rules here on the forum.

If anyone is interested in witnessing this mammoth event please feel free to come and watch.

Just a note,as we shoot in a licenced Bar/Venue (Royal British Legion) all competitors and visitors have to be over the age of 16 - sorry.
    Last edited by markmac; 11-01-2013 at 06:42 PM.
    Life without happiness is no life at all.

Hi Mac, can you post the rules here? How many times do we shoot & how many are in our team?

bell target match

Hi Scott
    I'll let Mac reply to your query

Hopefully you will be able to come and strengthen our team on the night

We noticed on Thursday that our bell target hole measures only 5-6mm as it has been peened over with such extensive use
    It will be drilled out to the correct diameter next week to give us a truer indication of just how good we are

We have picked up 3 new members, all with top of the range 10 metre match rifles so I have high hopes for these guys as long as their nerves hold on the night.

I will be selling beta blockers at the door for the home team
    Hope to see you soon
    John
    hold me back !!

Quote Originally Posted by Prewar View Post
    Hi Mac, can you post the rules here? How many times do we shoot & how many are in our team?
    Hi Scott, I will post the rules on the forum but there are a few diagrams in the file that might not paste across - PM me your email address and I will send you the PDF document.

Melbourne Marksman Bell Target Competition Rules

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\MMACKE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\ 01\clip_image001.png[/IMG]
    Bell Target Competition Match Rules (6 yards)
    (Based on the original match format from the Midlands area)
    Safe Shooting Practice
    The safety of club members and visitors is of the utmost importance to the club.
    All shooters must be over 16 years of age and if under the age of 18 be accompanied by an adult. Each shooter must be fully aware of the Airgun Law and Safety and comply with section 21 of the 1968 Fire Arms Act
    The club captain will start each evening’s shoot with a short safety brief.
    It is the clubs responsibility to make all participants aware of safety e.g. Safety glasses are optional but the club will not be held responsible for any claims in the event of an incident involving the eyes or any other part of the anatomy.
    The appointed referee will act as Range Marshall for the evening’s competition and all competitors must abide by the RM’s instructions.
    Always know where the muzzle of your air rifle is pointing and NEVER point it in an unsafe direction, even if the rifle is unloaded.

Equipment
    All rifles must be .177 calibre and a power rating of no more than 7 ft. lbs. (Foot Pounds) and it is the owner’s responsibility to ensure this.
    There is no restriction on type of air rifle used i.e. Recoiling and recoilless rifles can be used and all common power sources – Spring Piston, CO2, Pre Charged Pneumatic and single stroke pneumatic.
    Anything from old classics such as BSA pre-war springer’s, to modern match rifles such as the Walther LG400 and anything in-between can be used.
    Only open /iron sights or Dioptre (peep) sights are used.
    However, Dioptres with sight correction lenses & Non- magnifying red dot type sites may be used only at the discretion of the opposing club's captain.
    Magnifying or telescopic sights (or lazer sights) are NOT allowed.
    No rests, slings or butt hooks are allowed. No additional optical aids are allowed (Prescription glasses are allowed, of course).

The “Bell” Target
    Usually a metal plate target with a centre BULL hole and then outer scoring rings in increasing 1” diameter circles to a maximum of 4” diameter.
    The bull is measured at Imperial standard, a 3/8th inch hole. In later times the size of the metric Bull or hole has varied from 9.5mm (3/8th equivalent) down to 8mm.The bell mechanism sits behind the “BULL” and is rung when a pellet passes through the bull and activates the striker mechanism. In some cases a visual indicator or flag system is also activated to show the score of 5 when the bull is hit. Some targets are simple self -setting affairs, but most have a reset cord to set the ringer up for the next shot.
    The Bell target is placed 6 yards (18ft) from the firing point (usually a table in front of the shooter) - measured from the rear edge of the table. The target is placed at a height, so that the centre of the target (the bull) is 5ft from the ground.

Match competition scoring method

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\MMACKE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\ 01\clip_image002.emz[/IMG]

The target rings score from centre to outside edge as follows;
    5.1 - For a clean bull, i.e. no mark on the plate (The 5.1 score is used to separate really close competitions to reduce the event of draws or tied results)
    5 - For a Bull (A bull that is called as split (clipped the edge of the bull and 1” ring) is scored as a 5 as long as the bell is rung)
    4 – Pellet strike within the 1” diameter ring
    3 – Pellet strike within the 2” diameter ring
    2 - Pellet strike within the 3” diameter ring
    0 - Pellet strike outside of the 3” diameter ring
    There is no 1 score.
    N.B.
    The target face plate is normally re-painted after every shot, However, to save time, the face plate of the target is re-painted at the end of each shooters round of six shots. If round nosed pellets are used, these leave an impact spot in the centre making it easy to determine the score achieved.
    The mark left by the pellet is scored by how much is in the ring. The score is whichever ring has the most in it from the centre of the mark. In the case of an exact split the higher is called.
    Shooting Teams
    A team will normally consist of 8 shooters. Plus up to 4 reserve shooters per side.
    Referee /Checker
    A person from the home club will be nominated to referee the match & keep score. A person from the away team will be nominated to be a checker (to check and verify the score called by the referee) & re-paint the target face plate at the end of each round of six shots.
    Competition Rules
    All shots are taken from the standing position.
    Shooting Order
    Competition using 2 targets.
    Competitor’s shoot in pairs, one from each team, side by side using two identical targets.( If the targets are not identical then the teams then swop over targets once each team has shot to put up scores on the other target) – effectively shooting 2 rounds per person.
    Each competitor will have 6 scoring shots with one optional practice shot (often called a sighter) at the start of their shooting. The marker will ask the shooter at the start of their set, if a sighter is to be used and tell the room what has been called (ie"sighter called"). Those keeping score sheets will then know if the first shot is a scoring shot or not.
    At the end of the 6 shot round, the referee will add up the scoring shots and verbally communicate the score to the room and a checker will verify the score, before updating the official score sheet.

Tied Results, Shoot-Off.
    In the rare event of a tied result, the club captains will elect a single member of their team to enter into a shoot-off.
    Home team shoot first.
    Each competitor will shoot a round of 6 shots, in turn on a single target, the higher score deciding the result.
    If the shoot-off is also tied then a sudden death scenario comes into play. Each competitor shoots in turn a single shot at a time and keeps going until a deciding highest scored shot is achieved.
    Example only – Score sheet from a formal league competition.
    [IMG]file:///C:\Users\MMACKE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\ 01\clip_image003.emz[/IMG]

Comp looks interesting, when i come next time i will be joining & i am also sporting a new rifle (ssp), ...mike...

Quote Originally Posted by mickson View Post
    Comp looks interesting, when i come next time i will be joining & i am also sporting a new rifle (ssp), ...mike...
    Nice one Mike,what have you bought?
    Last edited by markmac; 12-01-2013 at 10:14 PM.

I am nervous just reading this! Will be there, will dust off the FWB300

Quote Originally Posted by Prewar View Post
    I am nervous just reading this! Will be there, will dust off the FWB300
    Scott,you had better shoot your Fineverkbow as good as you shoot your ancient BSA beauties or we could be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by markmac View Post
    Scott,you had better shoot your Fineverkbow as good as you shoot your ancient BSA beauties or we could be in trouble
    its nice to know you still get some points if you just miss by a bit

Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
    We have picked up 3 new members, all with top of the range 10 metre match rifles so I have high hopes.
    Bringing in some "ringers", how appropriate.

We are hoping each club will field at least 8 competitors to challenge for the East Midlands Inter Club Trophy.
    Looking forward to the "Bell Target World Series" , looks like I'll have to do some practising with domed pellets.

Thanks for posting the Regulations Mark.

Hi Nick,yes I think we all need to practice and take this target shooting a bit more serious,at least for the next few weeks

We need to keep Chris off the beer as well.

What beauty in your fine collection will you be shooting come Match Night?

We need to keep Chris off the beer as well.
    What beauty in your fine collection will you be shooting come Match Night?
    Good luck with keeping Chris off the beer. However, he can multitask.

The Original 66 is the current favourite, although it's always prudent to have a back up rifle. I think I'll need to do some practising, haven't been able to hit anything of late, perhaps it's that 6mm hole that is the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by 18 Wheeler View Post
    Good luck with keeping Chris off the beer. However, he can multitask.

The Original 66 is the current favourite, although it's always prudent to have a back up rifle. I think I'll need to do some practising, haven't been able to hit anything of late, perhaps it's that 6mm hole that is the problem?
    That target was almost impossible to ring, even with a direct hit! Glad to hear it's been opened out Do we need to use round headed pellets then? Do we just shoot 6 shots that night then, basically?

Thumbs up

Nice one Mike,what have you bought?
    Walther LGR, started tweaking sights & gun to suit me, re the comp i have no doubt all you Melbourne lads will be scoring 5.1's all the way ,atb. ...mike...
    Last edited by mickson; 13-01-2013 at 05:06 PM.