Thread: Walther LP53 Piston Removal.

Walther LP53 Piston Removal.

Can anyone let me know how to remove an LP53 piston.Currently I have the end cap and piston springs removed.I 'cocked'
    the gun with springs removed etc,but on pulling the trigger the piston will not move back to the fired uncocked position.I have a long time ago been through this scenario with an LP53,but forget how to resolve the problem.Advice gratefully recieved.mrto
    Last edited by mrto; 13-01-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Lp 53

Just off of the top of my head & without checking, I seem to remember there is an anti bear trap (kind of) device which bears on the piston (?). If you depress the lever /catch which should be seen on the left hand side of the breach face, below the tsf port then slide the piston down using a thin flat bladed screwdriver blade. The cocking arm needs (I think) to be removed before the piston may be withdrawn. If I am talking complete Boxxocks, please forgive me as it is @30 years since i've stripped one.
    Good Luck!
    HTH
    H

Quote Originally Posted by HOMER View Post
    Just off of the top of my head & without checking, I seem to remember there is an anti bear trap (kind of) device which bears on the piston (?). If you depress the lever /catch which should be seen on the left hand side of the breach face, below the tsf port then slide the piston down using a thin flat bladed screwdriver blade. The cocking arm needs (I think) to be removed before the piston may be withdrawn. If I am talking complete Boxxocks, please forgive me as it is @30 years since i've stripped one.
    Good Luck!
    HTH
    H

To remove the 53 piston you must first remove the cocking pawl by tapping out the pin half way up the grip. It can be a bit of bugger to relocate the pin and the big cocking pawl spring at the same time but there is only 2 parts and almost no chance of losing anything. The piston can now be pulled out with a screwdriver.
    Make yourself a slip ring to go over the guide rod. Lube up with a touch of linseed on the piston head

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    To remove the 53 piston you must first remove the cocking pawl by tapping out the pin half way up the grip. It can be a bit of bugger to relocate the pin and the big cocking pawl spring at the same time but there is only 2 parts and almost no chance of losing anything. The piston can now be pulled out with a screwdriver.
    Make yourself a slip ring to go over the guide rod. Lube up with a touch of linseed on the piston head
    Thanks for the help that explanation is starting to ring some bell now.Why though will the piston without the spring in place not return from the cocked position to the uncocked position do you know when the trigger is pulled and the piston pushed with a finger?

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Thanks for the help that explanation is starting to ring some bell now.Why though will the piston without the spring in place not return from the cocked position to the uncocked position do you know when the trigger is pulled and the piston pushed with a finger?
    With the piston out, the pawl drops down into place under the tension of the spring (deeper into the cocking channel than normally with piston in) and also independent of trigger operation as it goes over the top dead centre of the sear from the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    With the piston out, the pawl drops down into place under the tension of the spring (deeper into the cocking channel than normally with piston in) and also independent of trigger operation as it goes over the top dead centre of the sear from the trigger.
    Many thanks for your help I have now removed the piston and starting to remember stripping the gun before.Homer I was unable to find an anti beartrap lever in the position you mentioned,but the trigger when the barrel is open for breaking is locked in a position such that it cannot engage the sear bar a beartrap device of a sort.Regards mrto

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Many thanks for your help I have now removed the piston and starting to remember stripping the gun before.Homer I was unable to find an anti beartrap lever in the position you mentioned,but the trigger when the barrel is open for breaking is locked in a position such that it cannot engage the sear bar a beartrap device of a sort.Regards mrto
    Actually, Len has now answered your question in more detail over on the AVA.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Actually, Len has now answered your question in more detail over on the AVA.
    Thanks for alerting me I have respoded to his post.

New seal

Hello! I just lrdered a new nylon seal for my piston
    I am having problems to extract the piston
    Which is the pin to remove and in in which direction do I have to press?
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Koelsh View Post
    Hello! I just lrdered a new nylon seal for my piston
    I am having problems to extract the piston
    Which is the pin to remove and in in which direction do I have to press?
    Thank you
    The pin is under the grip where the cocking arm goes into the frame, They are not normally tight and push out either way, There is a knack to getting it back in with the spring pressure, I made up a tapered rod to locate and then push the pin back from the opposing side.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more