Thread: Junior Insurance HELP

Junior Insurance HELP

My son is 13 years old and has a natural ability in target pistol (As in he's very good) He regularly shoots 5 shot cards in the mid 40's, Here's the problem: he needs insurance to continue, BASA have informed me that they no longer insure under 17's, who else can I get insurance from for him ? he only ever shoots under supervision and has no access to guns without my presence, I really want him to develop this skill as I feel with further instruction and development he has the ability to excel in this field, Any help would be much appreciated in keeping an enthusiastic and talented youngster in the sport.

Thanks Nige
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Is he not insured through the club?

You could try the NSRA @£40 pa plus he can enter all the NSRA comps.

Didn't BASC do a junior membership?

And the countryside alliance used to do free for under a certain age.

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
    Is he not insured through the club?

You could try the NSRA @£40 pa plus he can enter all the NSRA comps.

Didn't BASC do a junior membership?

And the countryside alliance used to do free for under a certain age.
    Our club has informed me that individual insurance is also required, Just looked at the BASC site and emailed, they don't show a minimum age for juniors (just states under 21) so may be possible, I will also look at your other suggestions also, Thanks for your help
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Assuming the club is affiliated to the NSRA then he is insured whilst on the premises for incidents at the club (although personal kit is not - say someone gained access to the club and stole his personal air pistol). So I'd be querying what insurance they think he actually needs.

Individual NSRA insurance would cover his personal kit (up to £5k I think) and probably training at home, as well as providing an extra layer of liability insurance.

NSRA insurance now includes insurance whilst hunting, so it's a very viable alternative to BASC/BASA/CA if you do both target and hunting.

The other thing is if he's wanting to go down the target route, then things like the National Airgun Championships (run by the NSRA) charge a meeting membership for non-members. If he's getting into his target stuff and wants to go down that route, then not having to pay Meeting membership at those sorts of event will pay back the £40 junior membership rate very quickly.

And as I say, it covers hunting as well now.
    Last edited by Hemmers; 15-01-2013 at 10:36 PM.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)
    Not sure if it's the best deal around (not done the research), but Countryside Alliance membership for under 25s (or is it 25 and under?) is just £20 per year. Much better than BASA (IMHO).

Best to check with the club he's joined/joining that CA ok for them. Should be.

Happy (and safe) shooting

Biggles
    Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member

Thanks all for your help, some phone calls to make tomorrow I think, Hunting may be a possibility later but Target is definitely his forte at the moment, I taught him all I knew and he beat me
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,

Quote Originally Posted by Hemmers View Post
    NSRA insurance now includes insurance whilst hunting, so it's a very viable alternative to BASC/BASA/CA if you do both target and hunting.
    Is that still only whilst a member of an affiliated club still? It doesn't sound like the club is affiliated. I see the NRA insurance now covers it with no extra caveats.

If the lad is serious and you think he will be entering competitions then the NSRA membership wins hands down over the other shooting organisations.

Insurance

Worth noting that your son des not "own" a gun, because of his age, you do!