Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW45, and why I hate fibre-optics

HW45, and why I hate fibre-optics

I never liked the HW45 much when they came out. It just didn't do it for me, somehow. None of the "magnum" springer pistols did back then. It seemed to me you got a lot of weight and cocking effort in exchange for a 10-20% power increase over a Webley Tempest or Diana Model 5.

I started changing my mind a few years ago when I got a BSA Scorpion, and decided that, at the right price, I might have a go with a 45 some time.

I finally got around to picking up at auction as new/as-new recent production in its box HW45, apparently unused, with all the paperwork. £156, including fees, which is a nice discount on the £250-270 price.

I won't bother with a lengthy description, as the 45 is well-known and easily Googled. I would note:

- It isn't as overbearingly huge and top-heavy as I had feared; probably down to the major parts being alloy, not steel. Compared to the Scorpion, it feels quite svelte. It doesn't feel clumsier than a Diana 5 or Webley Hurricane.

- It doesn't point quite like a 1911. I know my 1911s, and they come up on target for windage, with variations in elevation depending on the type of mainspring housing and where my right thumb is placed. But the 45 comes up low and left and needs correcting.

- Cocking is surprisingly easy. Not something I'd want to fire 50 quick shots from, but easier than the Scorpion (though the latter is a bit more powerful).

- It's poky. It twangs. Should I try the dry-fire thing?

- It seems to want to shoot. But I can't on an initial acquaintance and about fifty pellets get it to group under an inch at 10M from standing. That may be lack of familiarity. But...

- I cannot get on with the fibre-optic sights at all. The sight picture is all over the place, and depending on where I stand in my little indoor range in respect to the lights, I can get everything from huge glowing dots that obscure the blade and notch to almost no glow at all (but not none).

So, verdict. Nice pistol. Will probably never be my favourite. But terribly let down by its sights.

I'm sure fibre-optics are great for a quick blat at a short-range can, but not for much else (the same conclusion I reached with the only other gun I owned with them).

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    It's a man's gun for sure! Only kidding, it'll be fine for you too. Eventually!

Open it up and give it a thorough de grease and rebuild virtually dry, I dry fire twice on rebuild, it works for me. With a little attention mine is virtually recoiless on half power with the shoulder stock, it accounted well for itself against the bell target at the bash.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Shoulder stock conversion kit. Forgot that. Balls, another thing to spend money on just to see what it's like, and probably end up in the back of one of my spare bits boxes.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Shoulder stock conversion kit. Forgot that. Balls, another thing to spend money on just to see what it's like, and probably end up in the back of one of my spare bits boxes.
    You can borrow mine to try if you want. Good value from ze Germans if you do decide to get one.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Persevere with it, Mr Geezer.

With a little more time for familiarisation, the required hold will let itself be known to you.

As for the fibre optics, I find them much better outdoor and quite like them.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I will, Tone, but I fear, after 35 years of shooting pistols with normal sights, that it will take a long time to get used to fibre-optics. A problem I never had with white dots, white lines round the rear notch, or little tritium vials.

And, yes, I need to work out how and where to index my grip for a natural point. On real 1911s, the combination of the grip safety/beaver tail and riding the manual safety with the thumb sorted it out. The HW has neither to work with.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I dislike the Christmas tree sights, they are inexact and serve no function other than to sell the pistol to weak-minded punters. I believe they fit into the 'tacti-cool' section of the market, and at such would be useful if you were attacked by a empty coke-can at what American gunslingers describe as 'card-table' distances. But if the thing pointed naturally they would be redundant in this capacity anyway.

Get some normal squared off metal sights and I am sure the group sizes will shrink 30% with no other changes.

Agreed. And I probably need to test a bunch of pellets, not just the RWS Superfields I had on hand. Looking at the Pyramydair blog, "BB" shot his (conventionally sighted) HW45 about as well as mine with some, a little worse with others, and a lot better with match wadcutters. But his was .177" and mine is .22".

Any ideas on good 5.5mm wadcutters?

This is an interesting little challenge.

And, no, I will not put a scope or red dot on it, because optics on pistols are perverted.

Agreed. And I probably need to test a bunch of pellets, not just the RWS Superfields I had on hand. Looking at the Pyramydair blog, "BB" shot his (conventionally sighted) HW45 about as well as mine with some, a little worse with others, and a lot better with match wadcutters. But his was .177" and mine is .22".

Any ideas on good 5.5mm wadcutters?

This is an interesting little challenge.

And, no, I will not put a scope or red dot on it, because optics on pistols are perverted.
    I love the 45's fibre optics and all. I have the silverstar in .177 and the standard black in .22. They do take a little getting used to but as previously said by Nick and Tony etc they are fantastic pistols. Build quality, performance etc all second to non. A great result on the price too.

As for pellets, my .22 likes RWS hobby wadcutters, or the Bisley practice equally as much.

I tried a red dot sight on mine but it kind of takes the enjoyment out of it for some reason. You cant beat open sights on them. I also have a 75 which has the standard black sights. Another awesome even if low powered pistol.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Get a new red ausie seal from the bay; transforms the firing cycle by actually sealing
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Get a new red ausie seal from the bay; transforms the firing cycle by actually sealing
    Good idea, ST.

How hard are these things to take apart and put together?

Can you put a bit of black tape over the fibre optics on the rear sight to see if this makes the sight picture better for you?
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Can you put a bit of black tape over the fibre optics on the rear sight to see if this makes the sight picture better for you?
    Rich.
    I am going to do just that. Just a bit annoyed that it is or may be needed. Thanks.

Good idea, ST.

How hard are these things to take apart and put together?
    This may help. https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/weih...cs-t18643.html

Also I believe Nick (Tinbum) done a stripdown guide on the 45 too

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Just remember to use a safety pin through the small hole in the "pusher" - the hole is designed for this purpose - to stop it springing out. Easy enough to work on.

What I also bought for mine that helps massively with consitent hold is a profiled 1911 grip - a wraparound hougue type slip on grip is also good
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.