Thread: Air Arms S410 TDR

Air Arms S410 TDR

After a LOT of lusting and waiting, I finally got my hands on a TDR and promptly fitted it with a Hawke Eclipse 4-16x50 AO IR Mil-dot (which is excellent for the price, especially with the two colour adjustable brightness illuminated reticule).

This was my first experience of the new mail order law where it is delivered to a local RFD. Although it wasn't the fault of the company I purchased the rifle from, it wasn't an entirely brilliant experience, as my local RFD turned out to be a joke. I was welcomed with rudeness immediately, and had found that my rifle had been removed from the outer box, had been handled and the accessories were out of their package. I was asked to check everything was there, while the owner scattered my accessories onto the counter, stuffed them back into the package, and shoved them right against the stock. My friend also asked how much a rifle slip was as he had just bought one himself, to which he had the reply 'Well this one will cost more than yours' and that was that!

Anyway, once home I flicked through the manual, which all seemed to be perfectly clear aside from a couple of points. The recommended grease for the loading bolt doesn't seem to exist (maybe a trade only type), but an alternative was easily found. The exploded drawings illustrating spare parts could be much clearer, as the part codes are small and fuzzy, but diagrams can be found online.

I took it out for the first time this morning and zeroed my scope (which was incredibly easy as it turned out). Loading the mag is a breeze, as the pellets drop right in without any fuss, and the red marker letting you know when you have chambered your last pellet is a nice touch.

Being new, I had heard that the bolt will take some breaking in. I found most of the time it was fairly slick, but shooting in quick succession I sometimes found it a bit stiff to pull right back and I had to sit up and give it a good pull. I've been told that 500 shots should sort it out.

The moderator works well enough, much quieter than most I've heard, but I was next to someone with a moderated HW100 that sounded whisper quiet whereas the TDR produced a muffled crack. It is certainly quiet enough that you could shoot indoors without disturbing the neighbours (given the space obviously!). The only issue I had with it was probably down to me being over cautious. I read in the manual that you shouldn't turn the thumbscrew too tight or else the end of the barrel may become burred. I spotted one pellet after a few mags tumble well shy off my aim point, which made me check the moderator. Although it didn't seem like the pellet clipped it, it had slipped off about 10mm.

After filling to 190 bar, it was apparent to everyone on the range that my first mag of pellets were hitting targets very hard, and every mag after seemed to level out with less power. I have only had it on the chrono for the first mag and it is running at an average of 11.35 ft/lbs. While I'm sure power levels are still fine across all shots, it is noticeable, but I still hit every target where I wanted to on successive mags with more than enough power to slam a steel target over at 30 yds.
    Someone may be able to advise about fitting a regulator (although this is an anti-tamper model).
    I think I was probably getting around 60 shots from a full charge before refilling (I'll make a note to check for certain next week). Although the manual states a refill pressure of 110 bar, I only noticed a shift in trajectory at around 80 bar. It would be nice to have more shots per fill, but would obviously mean a bigger cylinder, and wouldn't be an issue while hunting anyway, just target shooting where I'm flying through pellets.

Assembly is extremely easy and fast, simply pushing the stock into the action while turning a large thumbwheel and slipping the moderator on which is secured by a small knurled screw.

The 2 stage trigger worked perfectly straight from the box, but is adjustable for weight and length of pull.

Woodwork looks very high quality and feels comfortable to hold, especially with the stippling on the grip. I have found a slight flaw near the trigger guard on one side where it feels rough, but you can't tell by looking at it. Bluing on the other hand is completely flawless.

The case is very nice and holds everything in place with fabricated sections for the rifle itself, stock, moderator, quick fill adaptor, hex keys and a pocket at the bottom for a Napier VP90 anti corrosion sachet. While there is a space included for the scope so that it doesn't have to be removed, it is limited in size. My 4-16x50 seems to fit perfectly, but I don't think anything much bigger would fit (certainly very high mag target scopes).

Apart from the limited scope size (not an issue for me personally), there are two things that I don't like about this case at all, with a possible third for practical reasons. The first is that although it comes with shoulder straps to carry it like a backpack, they lack enough adjustment for me to carry it comfortably and I'm by no means extremely broad shouldered or stocky. Second is that the barrel has poked a hole through the inside of the case and punched a flap through to the outside. I find this very irritating on an otherwise lovely case, as while most of it is waterproof, rain will now be creeping right down my barrel! I plan on either filling the hole with hot glue, or finding some kind of patch that will seal it up. I find it incredible that this has been an oversight when a simple piece of plastic inside the lining would have stopped this happening. I may even speak to Air Arms about it.
    Although I don't mind it, I do see the irony in having a takedown rifle fitting into a discreet non gun shaped case, but having an air arms badge stuck to the front of it! As it is stitched on, there's no chance of neatly removing it.

On a side note, I see that new rifles are coming with a security cable type lock. I find it ludicrous that the only way of properly using this is screwing two eyelets into a wall, leaning your rifle against it and passing the cable through. First of all, it's keeping it on display instead of being safely packed away, and secondly it's terrible quality. I would have thought that a trigger lock would have been a better choice.
    On another note while I'm at it, I'm quite disappointed with the quality of the tin of Air Arms pellets I have. It's an old tin but never been knocked around. There is quite a pronounced pair of lines on every skirt from the die, and I was pulling out more than a few completely mis-shapen ones. I compared them to a very cheap brand which seemed better quality than the AA's. My friend was using Daystate Li's which in comparison had perfectly smooth skirts and looked far cleaner.

Overall, I am as happy as I expected to be with this rifle. A time proven action in a take down format definitely works for me. If it wasn't for the niggles with the case (mainly the hole) and the lack of regulation I would deem it perfect for me.

Just a little update. I spoke to Air Arms about the case, who suggested that I return it to the place of purchase who would then send it onto them for inspection. Only problem was that the very reputable dealer was completely ignoring my request.

I asked Air Arms if I could send it straight to them, which wasn't a problem. In no time at all I was told that a brand new case would be sent out to me. From what I've heard, this is typical of their excellent service and has definitely impressed me!

TDR review

Good write-up, always enjoyable to read about a rifle you already have.

I won't be getting rid of mine in a hurry, even though I've lent it to a friend.
    With the MTC Connect (sits a long way rearwards) fitted it makes the rifle a little to long for the case. I had to make a small incision on the inner liner to allow the barrel to fit without being under stress. It's very subtle and doesn't protrude through the outer case.

I know the irony of keeping a take down in standard slip, that's what I do with my Vermy!

Enjoy.

Hi luckythirteen, you should fill your gun to 160 bar and refill at 90 bar...theres no way your gun will be more powerfull at 190 bar its just not possible..it will be full power at the start of your power curve (around 160 bar)...you will get about 60 shots from that fill pressure.
    personally i would remove the anti-tamper and polish the hammer rail that will flatten your power curve out a bit.
    Air Arms tx200 .177 mtc mamba lite 4-16x44
    Daystate platinum .177 Mtc viper 10x44
    Daystate airwolf MVT .177..Mtc mamba lite 3-12x44...meon valley airgun club.

I had a s410 tdr .22 new from the airgun center,I sold it last week to my mate,not because it wasn't a good gun because it was,infact it was the best air gun that i have ever had.I could hit anything with it belive me When i first got it the bolt was a bit stiff to pull back,but after a week of use it got alot easyer.I used Airarms field pellet & RWS super domes and both shot really well as far as i could tell.it was a great looking gun and feels really good when holding it up.I had the new s410F model & i think i was getting about 70-80 shots from it before it needed a refill.

I found it best to fill it to 180bar and refill when it was down to about 105 bar.I was using a yellow hill pump to refill the gun,I thought it was very easy and not hard at all.when you get to 150-160 bar it got a little harder but was not that bad really.The worse bit about it for me was carrying the gun,gun case & the pump all at the same time together.this was one of the resons why i sold it.The second reson why i sold it was i thought i could hit things too easy with it and it took the fun out of it for me.so with the money from selling the tdr i have just brought a new HW45 black star .22,I hope i find it harder to hit my targets now,but hope it will not be too hard

Very good gun though the TDR,my mate loves it to death and everyone that has seen it loves it to.If you are wanting a gun that looks like somthing out of a james bond film this is the one to get,trust me.

PS it was very powerful,the bit of paper i got given with it when i got it said it was shooting @ 11.5

BTW the airgun center shop was great to deal with,no problem what so ever,i would buy from them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotshot666 View Post
    I had a s410 tdr .22 new from the airgun center,I sold it last week to my mate,not because it wasn't a good gun because it was,infact it was the best air gun that i have ever had.I could hit anything with it belive me When i first got it the bolt was a bit stiff to pull back,but after a week of use it got alot easyer.I used Airarms field pellet & RWS super domes and both shot really well as far as i could tell.it was a great looking gun and feels really good when holding it up.I had the new s410F model & i think i was getting about 70-80 shots from it before it needed a refill.

I found it best to fill it to 180bar and refill when it was down to about 105 bar.I was using a yellow hill pump to refill the gun,I thought it was very easy and not hard at all.when you get to 150-160 bar it got a little harder but was not that bad really.The worse bit about it for me was carrying the gun,gun case & the pump all at the same time together.this was one of the resons why i sold it.The second reson why i sold it was i thought i could hit things too easy with it and it took the fun out of it for me.so with the money from selling the tdr i have just brought a new HW45 black star .22,I hope i find it harder to hit my targets now,but hope it will not be too hard

Very good gun though the TDR,my mate loves it to death and everyone that has seen it loves it to.If you are wanting a gun that looks like somthing out of a james bond film this is the one to get,trust me.

PS it was very powerful,the bit of paper i got given with it when i got it said it was shooting @ 11.5

BTW the airgun center shop was great to deal with,no problem what so ever,i would buy from them again.
    I am a bit confused with the number of shots you are claiming from the AA410 TDR? Jeeze, if you want to double the shot count of the AA TDR rifle then order yourself a 400 series Carbine cylinder, that only will double your shot count.
    high powered water pistol, thumb breaker catapult.
    And loads of proper guns.

Hi Tron ,

As I say I had the new model TDR the s410 F,the F meaning if i am right was fitted with a carbine cylinder from factory .Thats what the guy told me at the airgun center when i was buying it.

I think the standered TDR got about 50 to 60 shoot from full,& the new F model was giving out 70 to 80 shots from full.

I am very sure i was getting 80 from the F model that i had,so was an extra 20 shots more from the new F. model.

Hope you understand what i mean now.

Click on link and watch video on that page to see what i mean about the new model fitted with bigger cylinder

http://www.theairguncentre.com/onlin...r-arms/116-tdr

Take care
    Last edited by Hotshot666; 29-10-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: added a video link

Sorry my friend, I only replied because I have fitted three carbine cylinders to AA TDR rifles, the last 2 about 14 months ago. the carbine cylinder holds 156cc of volume. certainly you have the new improved shot count model. the old TDR only used to have a shot count of about 30. the number you are getting is what the 400 range carbine puts out. ATB.
    high powered water pistol, thumb breaker catapult.
    And loads of proper guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotshot666 View Post

I know what you mean! Mine came out of testing at 11.65 ft/lbs IIRC, and I've been amazed at the accuracy once set up. Just last weekend I saw one pellet hit the very centre black spot of a 3" target, just slightly feathering the surrounding white. The next three shots had me wondering where they went as I couldn't see any impact. Whizzing the target towards me, I saw a very tight four leaf clover!

I'm pretty sure I get around 80 shots from a fill too, and a few shots later at around 90 bar or so, the pellets drop around an inch below aim point at 30 yards.
    Last edited by luckythirteen; 01-11-2012 at 05:18 PM.

good write up mate bad manners from the gun shop

Quote Originally Posted by luckythirteen View Post
    I know what you mean! Mine came out of testing at 11.65 ft/lbs IIRC, and I've been amazed at the accuracy once set up. Just last weekend I saw one pellet hit the very centre black spot of a 3" target, just slightly feathering the surrounding white. The next three shots had me wondering where they went as I couldn't see any impact. Whizzing the target towards me, I saw a very tight four leaf clover!

I'm pretty sure I get around 80 shots from a fill too, and a few shots later at around 90 bar or so, the pellets drop around an inch below aim point at 30 yards.
    Very good gun for hunting if your into that sort of thing.If i was into hunting i would not have sold it because of how good a shot it was.You could hit a rabbit in the head everytime easy with it out to 40-50 meters.when i had mine i could hit the pin holding up my target near everytime from 25-30 meters,thats why i found it no fun.10 shots at a target & only 1 pellet hole ?,At first i thought something was up with the gun,I thought all the shots was missing the target by a mile as i did not see any new holes apearing ,now where is the fun in that ?

nice write up mate

I'd like to add that although I am totally happy with my S410TDR, the bag is terrible, one of the strap connectors has broken and the zips are a nightmare, if the velcro straps inside are tight it causes the zip to undo itself as you try to fasten it

Thumbs up

Good review

TDR

Hi guys, as for the tdr i had one for a couple of years, .22 had loads of changes done to it by ben taylor inc the reg, fantastic take down piece of kit, put toooooo much bling on it , but you know that feeling after you have sold a rifle to go on to the next,,,,well i wish i had of kept it . The bunnies hated it , the pigeons and crows did not like it at all, most that saw it wanted to buy off me . Totally left handed me so l/bolt lots of polished s/s if it was on the table in front of me for sale i would, buy it back again !!!!! As a late xmas pressy for me self. Dave