Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Air Arms TX200HC review

Hooray, vindication at last, my review appears in a relevant section. Get it up u!

Sub Sea Sniper
    . . .and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory for ever.

Professor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick
    Glad you are pleased with it. As a former owner of both the HC and Mk 3 variants, I agree with most of what you say except I did find the beartrap ratchet a bit annoying and the click-click-click noise as you cock I suspect could frighten rabbits away. Personally I find the cocking effort ridiculous for a 12 ft lb rifle-my Weihrauch HW95 is cockable with one finger! I don't know whether you tried the TX200 Mk 3 before choosing the HC but I found the slightly longer cocking lever much easier to use and the extra length hardly noticeable. The mk 3 is also quieter-unless you use the screw- in extra silencer which completely ruins the whole point in having the shorter HC.
    Good shooting!
    You can stop the rachet clicking by depressing the anti-bear trap button as you cock it. It certainly does frighten off rabbits Nick unless you do that, as I found out several times when cocking for a second shot. Of course, pressing the button as you cock, means you don't have an anti beartrap mechanism while you do it. True about the silencer negating the carbine effect too.

Edit:

Oh - on reading the thread further, I see Baz has alreadys said the same thing about quietening the loading procedure.
    Last edited by Professor; 21-06-2005 at 10:09 AM.

Quick update, this gun continues to impress. I have still been bagging the rabbits (though not as much as before, but thats down to me, not the gun) and everything in the gun has settled in nicely.

One minor issue I have found is that just under the front of my scope there is a small section of bluing that seems to to have faded. I put this down to being where water will drip from the front of the scope during rain.

I have started shooting target from 40-45m and found the gun to be extremely consisten. Although there is a large drop off it is predictable and the pellet seems to carry a lot of energy even at this distance.

I got a bit of oil in the barrel somewhere and for a while the gun was dieseling quite spectacularly. One shot I fired during this was from 50m and there was no appreciable drop off at that range which freaked me. I got a pull thru and sorted the gun out.

I will be buying a Hawke HD Sport MAP 6x40 scope tomorrow and will post on how this works with the gun.

Sub Sea Sniper
    . . .and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory for ever.

SSS

With regard to the safety catch, if you re-cock the under-lever it will reset the safety. I found this safety button thing annoyong on my TX until I was advised of the cure. I hope this assists, I am sure AA haven't changed this on your model, happy hunting.

Take care, Voldy
    All in black, all in black, gives wabbits a heart attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub Sea Sniper

It should therefore only be pushed in immediately prior to firing. This is fine for target shooting but when hunting birds or bunnies you often thumb the safety off in anticipation of a shot only to find the beast has sneaked away, leaving you without a target. The safety should then be which can't be done on this rifle. Bit strange.
    To re-engage the safety pull the cocking handle fully down again and you will hear a click, this is the safety reactivated

Well works on mine
    Maverick
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Persistence is the twin sister of excellence. One is a matter of quality; the other, a matter of time.

To re-engage the safety pull the cocking handle fully down again and you will hear a click, this is the safety reactivated
    Sorry to hijack the thread!

Do you think this will work with my mk3 as well, as it is becoming a slight annoyance/****offance!
    TX200 Mk3 Pink Calibre, HW99s Blue Calibre
    Huntsman MK1 Pink calibre, AAS200 Pink Calibre

Ahaa!

They don't like you to say **** do they??

Hmm

Sorry I'm obviously ****ed again!

Yeah the recocking works fine on the TX200HC. Thanks for the advice guys. By the way, the gun pairs brilliantly with my Hawke Sport HD MAP in 6x40. Killer combo.

Sub Sea Sniper

Quote Originally Posted by NiceNeil
    Sorry to hijack the thread!

Do you think this will work with my mk3 as well, as it is becoming a slight annoyance/****offance!

As far as im aware it will work on the MK III as well
    Maverick
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Persistence is the twin sister of excellence. One is a matter of quality; the other, a matter of time.

chris ballard Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub Sea Sniper
    Yeah the recocking works fine on the TX200HC. Thanks for the advice guys. By the way, the gun pairs brilliantly with my Hawke Sport HD MAP in 6x40. Killer combo.

Sub Sea Sniper
    Have to agree with you on this rifle.

I would not have taken 35m+ shots with my HW77, but the HC is well capable of this and beyond.

After getting over the initial shock of the noise it makes on firing (used to a silenced PCP) and the recoil, well, it is a really nice rifle. Heavy yes, but well balanced and nice to fire.

I found it a bit awkward cocking in the prone position. I have a tendency to not pull the lever back quite as far and so it cant be closed again, but once you are aware of this, its fine. This awkwardness will go (be learned) and it will force me to shoot properly, and to do it from the kneeling position.

It has already exposed some odities in my trigger action which are not that obvious with the S410k, so it has achieved their too

I actually bought it as a practice/backup rifle (for when the 410 needs servicing etc) and I must say that, although I love the PCP, the need to not re-fill every 60 or so shots is nice.

I doubt I will do much hunting with it, particularly now the hawking season is starting, but it will get well used.

I fint the ratchet an cocking system no problem what so ever. Its a great Idea, and with a bit of practice, is easily mastered. I could see some "esser sized" air gunners having problems, but most should have no problems.

A Very, very, nice rifle (shame about the scope...hawke 3-9 x 50 pro stalk...I have better and will eplace the sight on the PCP and put the Nikon on this one)

Maverick

Yep the recocking trick works on my MKIII as well, many thanks for the advice.

Serberus Guest
    I also just bought a TX200 mk.III in .22.

I think I am in love with this gun, the trigger action is so sexily smooth and the gun just looks beautiful. It is incredibly accurate, (I have a Webley 3-9x40 scope attached) and so far I have only missed one shot in the two ratting sessions I have taken it out on.

The Stock is so well made and the gun is so well weighted that it just sits tight on may shoulder and hardly twitches at all, no matter how excited I get!

On the downside though, it is pretty heavy, however I would spent hours in the gym for this beauty, and it is pretty bearable for a couple of hours. The recoil is also pretty solid, but it is nothing out of the ordinary for Spring Rifles, and certainly not anything that an experienced shooter or a bit of practice can't handle. Also the loading slot is just left hanging, so its pretty easy for butterfingers like me to drop the pellet into the cavity. Some guns have a tray that makes reloading that much easier.

If I were you and looking for a Spring Rifle, I would definately go for the AirArms TX200 mk.III.
    Last edited by Serberus; 05-10-2005 at 01:49 PM.

Nice review!

Why did SSS get banned?

don't know but it was 15 years ago, atb mick ps great guns the tx's