Thread: hi another hw95k review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDog View Post
    A while back I thought the 95 was a worthy successor to the 85 which I used a lot when I found the 80 getting a bit heavy. When fettled, they are great and my favourite medium weight rifle at that time. The Lightning XL (once fettled) was my favourite "take it along just in case" rifle too. Then I found the Brum Longbow which when fettled knocks the 95 into a cocked hat! The Stingray (I have a Venom Express) whacks the XL too!

A fettled HW50S is also a good contender in the lightweight category and our American friends love 'em!

Of course, one can't have everything (although some of our colleagues try hard to do just that!).

The LGV seems to be not very well received judging by the number being re-sold! Wait a little while for that until the Mk2 comes along and it's like it should have been!

atvb
    David
    A tuned version of any gun is going to be better so comparing a standard HW95 with a tuned Longbow isn't really fair is it? My experience -having owned lazaglided Longbows, HW95s 98s and currently owning an SFS Banshee is that they are pretty much the same with very similar handling and firing cycles. In fact if you blindfolded me and handed me a rifle ready to fire I don't think I would know what rifle I was using. That being said the Brum made Longbow is pretty special especially one with the ambi walnut stock. Very pretty, small and light self contained carbines and just SO good for lugging around all day. The problem with all of these light short springers for me is that no matter how well tuned they are, until recently I didn't feel that I had really mastered the muzzle flip. The only solution appeared to add weight by using the HW98 shrouded barrel. However now I can say that this problem is solved. I now have a heavy steel muzzle weight made by Jonny Neate on here and everything is just SO much better. This simple accessory also cures muzzle flip in the HW80 too and all without adding too much overall weight to your rig. Heavy rifles have their place of course. They add stability in the hold but for hunting and general use as opposed to target shooting, too much weight is a pain unless of course you are exceptionally big and strong or unless you regard lugging a rifle around as part of your fitness routine!
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Well, just to counterbalance some of the above, a few months back I treated myself to a brand new HW95K in .177 and I've had no issues whatsoever.

The accuracy is exemplary: Zero'ing took just half-a-dozen shots and the firing behaviour is more than acceptable - just a hint of spring twang (if I'm being really picky) but absolutely no dieselling or roughness anywhere.

I love this gun!

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    ...The problem with all of these light short springers for me is that no matter how well tuned they are, until recently I didn't feel that I had really mastered the muzzle flip. The only solution appeared to add weight by using the HW98 shrouded barrel...
    Tbh with you Nick, I reckon that's the real reason for the silencer on the latest HW95K. Let's face it: Silencers are otherwise pretty pointless on springers (for noise reduction anyway) and on my '95 there is no noticeable difference to the report whether the silencer's on or off.

Big difference to the handling, though...

Although IMO, HW could have achieved the same thing by just fitting the '98 barrel instead.