Thread: Twitch Muscles - Slow and Fast.

Twitch Muscles - Slow and Fast.

I have just received the latest NSRA Rifleman magazine and read the article about exercises to help the pistol shooter.

This I am very interested in as I struggle to shoot pistol very well these days due to an old neck injury, and anything that can help me shoot anything like as well as I could before will attract my attention - but I don't understand the references to the Slow Twitch and Fast Twitch muscles.

Although it sounds like utter gibberish, the Rifleman is not noted for its comedy content and it is far too early for it to be the April 1st edition - so help please !

What are the Slow and Fast Twitch muscles?

If these are the very same muscles that can cause tremble (and sometimes minor but spontaneous index finger movement) then I am very interested in finding a way to control them and will work hard with the exercises to try and make some performance gains.

My guess is that this is something else completely - but what is it - anybody ?
    Last edited by zooma; 23-01-2013 at 05:00 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I have just received the latest NSRA Rifleman magazine and read the article about exercises to help the pistol shooter.

This I am very interested in as I struggle to shoot pistol very well these days due to an old neck injury, and anything that can help me shoot anything like as well as I could before will attract my attention - but I don't understand the references to the Slow Twitch and Fast Twitch muscles.

Although it sounds like utter gibberish, the Rifleman is not noted for its comedy content and it is far too early for it to be the April 1st edition - so help please !

What are the Slow and Fast Twitch muscles?

If these are the very same muscles that can cause tremble (and sometimes minor but spontaneous index finger movement) then I am very interested in finding a way to control them and will work hard with the exercises to try and make some performance gains.

My guess is that this is something else completely - but what is it - anybody ?

Fast-twitch muscles break down into two categories: “moderate fast-twitch” (type IIa) and “fast-twitch” (type IIb). Moderate fast-twitch muscles are larger, thicker, quicker to contract, and wear out more rapidly than slow-twitch. Fast-twitch, the most powerful and lowest in endurance, are activated when the body nears its maximum exertion.

Here’s how it works: During aerobic exercises such as running or swimming, slow-twitch fibers are the first to contract. When the slow-twitch fibers become tired, fast-twitch varieties begin to take over. During high-intensity exercises that require quick, powerful movements (like jumping or sprinting), fast-twitch muscles contract first.

There are significant benefits to mixing high- and low-intensity workouts (and in the process working fast and slow twitch muscle fibers!). Aerobic slow-twitch exercises increase stamina and oxygen supply, allowing the body to burn energy— i.e. calories— for longer periods of time. Fast-twitch exercises burn considerably more energy in less time, and can lead to gains in muscle mass that may help trigger weight loss, lower blood pressure, and improve strength[1]. A well-rounded workout routine includes a combination of intense and endurance exercises and can help the body adapt and perform in a variety of scenarios[2].

HOPE THIS HELPS
    ATB
    ROB
    DAYSTATE MK3 FT-R im a daystate fan
    DAYSTATE AIR WOLF
    THEOBEN RAPID MFR Cs800 KEV G INTERNALS

Thanks Rob - that does help.

If I understand correctly, the Twitch Type defines the class or speed of the muscle (in twitch terms) in the way that it reacts in use rather than some new undiscovered types that have been lurking inside us for some time completely undetected.

I am guessing it is only the terminology that is new, but is similar in essence to previously described slow burn and fast burn types.

........and there I was hoping for a cure.

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Bob,it is a bit confusing, but as I understand it from my coach,who gave my the very same exercises to do,the basis of them is to improve and tone the slow twitch muscles,which are responsible for fine motor control rather than the fast twitch muscles which are needed for quick reaction sports such as 100m sprinting.
    I have found them very beneficial,and have copied the article to show the people I coach,if you don't want to do them all,I found the most beneficial was the winding up one(pole and milk carton) and the replicating pistol raising with a theraband,for this one you should aim for a tension about 10% heavier than your pistol.

Neale
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

Quote Originally Posted by tufty View Post
    Bob,it is a bit confusing, but as I understand it from my coach,who gave my the very same exercises to do,the basis of them is to improve and tone the slow twitch muscles,which are responsible for fine motor control rather than the fast twitch muscles which are needed for quick reaction sports such as 100m sprinting.
    I have found them very beneficial,and have copied the article to show the people I coach,if you don't want to do them all,I found the most beneficial was the winding up one(pole and milk carton) and the replicating pistol raising with a theraband,for this one you should aim for a tension about 10% heavier than your pistol.

Neale
    Thanks Neale,

That is a good basic practical explanation of the technical information and its application, and unlike weight lifting for strength, it looks like lower weights are the order of the day to improve and tone the slow twitch muscles.

Exercising the slow twitch muscles could well be beneficial to me to gain better fine motor control - and I think this is exactly what I need.

I have just made myself a wrist roller for the winding up (and down) and ASDA provided a cheap pack of 3 different strength therabands so I am off to give it go so I can see if I can make any real gains over the next few weeks.

I hope that will make me a better "slow twitcher" in the future

Well done Bob,stick with it,when you do the roller exercises,don't do more than 3 cycles,and then rest that exercise for a day before doing it again,it really burns when you first do it,and it only works if you keep your arms fully extended and locked at the elbows,once it stops hurting put a centimetre of water in the carton and carry on,filling in small increments once you can comfortably deal with the last increase,it will really help your hold,and it's well worth it.

Good shooting!

Neale
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

Bob,one thing I forgot to mention was that the specific shooting arm exercises should also be done with your non shooting arm

Neale

Quote Originally Posted by tufty View Post
    Bob,one thing I forgot to mention was that the specific shooting arm exercises should also be done with your non shooting arm

Neale
    I have just finished my first Wednesday set of exercises, and I will exercise both arms equally - I don't want to end up "lopsided"

The wrist rolling does burn - I did just three sets of three reps with a 1 kilo weight disk on the end of the rope - it looked a bit pathetic to be honest, but keeping a strictly correct stance and not allowing the arms to drop or bend, or to skip the unwinding part of the exercise by letting the rope unwind itself - it was enough!

I will stay with the 1 kilo weight until I can comfortably make 3 sets of 10 reps - but I don't expect to see that happening for some time (this is not body building).

The Side pulls, Pull backs and the Pull down exercises were completed comfortably with 3 sets of 10 reps using the "light" yellow band, so I may move up to the "medium" red band soon - but not just yet, and not until I am sure the stance and shape of the exercises are correct first.

Thanks for your advice - Bob.

Sounds interesting. Is this mag subscription only? Where can i get it as would love to have a look at this.

Quote Originally Posted by savantguarde View Post
    Sounds interesting. Is this mag subscription only? Where can i get it as would love to have a look at this.
    You can buy it through the NSRA,if you can't get one I am happy to photocopy it for you if you pm me your address.

Neale