Thread: MOST accurate / suitable Pellets for Feinwerkbau Barrels ?

Exclamation MOST accurate / suitable Pellets for Feinwerkbau Barrels ?

Hello Everyone!

I have recently started 10m air-rifle shooting, although its been 2 years, but I am still experimenting (I am sure everyone does too...!)

I would like to have your suggestions / recommendations / experiences, regarding the make / head size / weight etc for the most suitable pellets for FWB barrels.

I have a Feinwerkbau 700 ALU rifle, and my son has a Feinwerkbau 700 Basic (I presume the barrels/ action would be the same)

Thanks and kind regards
    Seemtab

If your average is 560+ then it is probably worth batch testing pellets. If it is below that level then any mid-range H&N, JSB or RWS pellet is likely to be satisfactory. There is no such thing as a "best" pellet. Generally speaking the higher the price the better the consistency in the manufacturing process; but that doesn't always hold.

If you are currently shooting consistent 550s then a methodical training plan to improve your technique will get you an extra 10 points. Testing pellets and then using the best batch is unlikely to make much discernible difference.

If you feel the need to batch test then I suggest that you refer to "Air Rifle Shooting" pages 107-108 for a description of how to go about it.

Ruuty

Quote Originally Posted by Rutty View Post
    If your average is 560+ then it is probably worth batch testing pellets. If it is below that level then any mid-range H&N, JSB or RWS pellet is likely to be satisfactory. There is no such thing as a "best" pellet. Generally speaking the higher the price the better the consistency in the manufacturing process; but that doesn't always hold.

If you are currently shooting consistent 550s then a methodical training plan to improve your technique will get you an extra 10 points. Testing pellets and then using the best batch is unlikely to make much discernible difference.

If you feel the need to batch test then I suggest that you refer to "Air Rifle Shooting" pages 107-108 for a description of how to go about it.

Ruuty
    I would agree with most of the above except that you would need to be a lot better than a 560 shooter to note the difference between pellets selected for your action & those off the shelf.

Having batch tested selected pellets would stop all that wondering if it was you or the pellet though!

If it's of any use to you FWB always used to group test with H&N Finale Match & set the Vo with 4.49's but changed last year to RWS. I have not as yet received any information as to any service change procedure.

To save being pm'd by people let me explain. the factory test groups could be shot with any head size, that does not mean the head size stated for you test target (if any) is the best head size for your action, that will change from pellet manufacturer to manufacture & batch to batch but could be a good starting point.

Using a specified make & head size in a service or set up procedure on FWB's is purely for getting the Specified average Vo. If I set a FWB 700 velocity with RWS R10 pellets (approx 566fps) then shoot H&N after, the rifle sounds like a cannon going off as on average the R10's travel about 50fps slower than Finale match.

What I will sometimes do is ask the shooter what they intend to use & set the rifle or pistol up for the pellet make of their choice.

Apologies for going off topic but I thought more explanation was required.
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!