Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bsf s54 owners

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Bsf s54 owners

Never owned one of these sturdy underlevers, I think they were overshadowed by their break-barrel sisters. I've handled a couple but never parted with the cash to make them mine - never cheap, especially the walnut varieties.

I'm curious to know what kind of performance these air-rifles put out. Any owners want to share their experiences?

I have one in .22. Not powerful mines doing 10.5 with Superdomes. They do live a lot in the shadow of the breakaction 55/60/70. The basic design is very good and the main problem seems to my mind to be the lost volume as the pellet "jumps" from the tap to the barrel. I allso have a 55 in .177. S20 pistol in .177 and a S70 in .22. Very well made and to my mind a brand that didnt deserve to die. Enjoy.

Ive a couple of '54s. A Bayern in .22 and a .177. To be honest they are far from my favourite rifle. Too Relum Tornados ish for my liking. A very heavy rifle with most of the balance forward but built like the proverbial brick out house. A must for any BSF collection but totally opposite of the neat, petite powerhouse model '55/60.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

When I had mine in .177 it reminded me of the Webley MKII but more weight forward. Definitely a long arm that with old school open sights seemed pretty good. But will all that weight it just wasn't any HW77. Trigger, power, and when scoped, accuracy there was nothing to get excited about. A bit like the Original 50 but even more germanic; it just didn't give the performance any more than a whole host of other rifles; some bettered it.

If I was to have a large collection I would want one in it. The little power house S70 was the better BSF of its day though.

BSF

From my experience i have never seen one go over 11 ft lb , many yrs ago in the late 1970's early 80's i saw an article in the airgun world that said a pest controller had a 54 on fac that was delivering a ridiculous power, if my memory serves me right it was around 17 ftlb , i would like to know how , but i suspect there crono was up the kyber , all that said i love em.

rgds kevin

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin.ronnie View Post
    From my experience i have never seen one go over 11 ft lb , many yrs ago in the late 1970's early 80's i saw an article in the airgun world that said a pest controller had a 54 on fac that was delivering a ridiculous power, if my memory serves me right it was around 17 ftlb , i would like to know how , but i suspect there crono was up the kyber , all that said i love em.

rgds kevin
    I remember that article, he had a couple of other FAC springers as well, maybe a HW35 and a FWB Sport? I think if you put an American-spec BSF B55 Export spring in the S54 it would constantly diesel and give a high reading, but with air alone it wouldn't happen. They were always quoting iffy power levels in that magazine, 11.9 ft/lbs was common - clearly they hadn't measured it.

Hre are some different variations

---------------------------------
    Frank

Thanks for the pics chaps. Such a brutal looking tool, looks like it should have a bayonet fitting and a steel butt-plate. Would look good with a full-length stock like a Mauser military rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin.ronnie View Post

rgds kevin
    Wonderful piece of agricultural machinery! Did I sell mine to you Kevin, it was A7295 according to my '95 list? I lost some records in our move!!

Agree though, very muzzle heavy (or stock too light!) and the sliding lever lock/cocking grip scrapes the bluing a bit I recall!

atvb
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

BSF

Hello David , yes i bought your s54 and i've still got it , hope your well.

rgds kevin

just a question if I may, re the Venom Bsf 80, roughly how many were made remember them being way out of my price range at time, any one have a pic of one please

Venom Baveria

Hello i managed to get a boxed as new Venom Baveria about 15 yrs ago , on doing some research i rang Venoms up and i think i spoke ivan who told me that although the rifles were well advertised they actually made no more than 25-30 [his words] and they also didn't keep an example for them selves , hope this little bit of info helps .

rgds kev

thanks Kev, its one of those guns on my ultimate wish list, never know one day maybe.

I have a nice very early .22 Bayern in my collection the only thing i don't like about it is the
    rather flimsy cocking lever.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4923170...in/photostream