Thread: Modding BSA Lightning XL trigger

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    The trigger is shite, try talking to Welsh Willy.

Gus
    Is that a technical term in welsh then?

I dont know if the trigger set up is different in the GRT to the standard lightnings but I'm currently in the middle of restoring and modding a lightning. I've taken out the 2 stage trigger( it's been polished) and replaced it with a older model trigger that is a straight pull (no little spring spring) I've ground 0.15mm of the end and ever so slightly changed the angle of the sear also I slightly bent the big spring to take a little tension out. The original trigger is to far back for my technique and trigger pull so I've welded a 4mm drill about 10mm forward of the original trigger to make a straight trigger, I tested it today and when it's adjusted to it's lightness it is a hair trigger.. It is that light that I bumped it and it went off.. But 1 and a quarter turns of adjustment it is lovely, If I can borrow a set of fishing scales I'll test it. when we get a laptop I'll post some pics.
    I also put a blob of weld on the back of the saftey latch, then ground and polished the weld blob till I was happy with the amount of pressure needed to flick the saftey on and off ( no more wobbly saftey latch)
    It did takes ages with alot of trail and error to get it to this stage..
    Last edited by Aussiethunder; 01-02-2013 at 09:09 PM.

lightning trigger tune

I found shimming the side play out of them & de-burring & polishing helps a lot & correct adjustment. Every one I've worked on has had the adjuster allen screw wound right in which makes a bad trigger even worse. I actually shot one of my best 10 shot 15m groups with opens using an old tatty brum built supersport I'd tuned the trigger on.

This is what's going in instead of the nasty plastic item.

http://charliedatuna.com/GRT-4G.htm

It should bring the pull weight down from about 5lb to 1 1/2lb or so, as well as improving the break.

Weird, I had a spring Lightning XL, about 6 months old now, and it had a very good trigger. No need for any fiddling.
    Dunno wether BSA uses the Gamo trigger. Mine didnt, very obvious.
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Weird, I had a spring Lightning XL, about 6 months old now, and it had a very good trigger. No need for any fiddling.
    Dunno wether BSA uses the Gamo trigger. Mine didnt, very obvious.
    Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh, the newer ones are better, just not as good as the Rekord, or CD.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

This new trigger is essentially the old Gamo trigger in a new chassis, that's why with minor modification or removal of safety the CDT type trigger upgrades drop right in.

First...

...of all, welcome Hangtight excellent first posts, I suspect you are a prime candidate for "getting the bug" and joining our band of inveterate fiddlers... sorry "tuners" BTW have you tried adjusting the trigger weight?

At a slight tangent, on the BSA Supersport which is a forerunner of the Lightening and pre Gamo there's a mod you can do that converts the single stage unit to a faux two stage. I'm not 100% sure but I think it's as blade replacement from the Goldstar range, mine was done by SFS for the grand sum of £9. It's not a Rekord but it's quite good
    Pardon?