Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Importing Scopes From U.s

Question Importing Scopes From U.s

evening all,

Ive been on a few u.s sites looking at scope prices and i can't belive what there selling them for . Just makes me realise how much we are raped over here
    Anyway im thinking of importing a Weaver grand slam from BearBasin.com. Im a bit worried because ive never imported anything, so i have a few questions to ask.

1. How do a pay for the goods, being in U.S dollars ?
    can i use my debit card as per norm, like ordering in this country?

2. would i get a big tax bill for importing it on the cheap ?

3. If any off you have imported from the U.S what are the basic shipping fees like?

4. Is there any other major points i haven't metioned wich i should consider.

any help would be great because i haven't got a clue.

!Think before you shoot!..... always wear protection.......

tpe Guest
    I think the rules are the same for all EU countries, but how sharp customs are in the uk i dont know, you will officially have to pay VAT on top of the price of the scope given on the package, unless you have it marked something like faulty goods returned which most reputable places wont. then you may also have to pay a surcharge, pyramid air are taking about $48 at the moment for a transfere chage, but paying by credit card you may welll avoid that but check with the individual stockest. they you should also check what delivery services you have a choice of, in some cases it can be very expencive and in others very cheap and even relativly quick, but again check first.

tim

1. Yes just use your credit card as normal

2. You could get stung for at leat 4% import duty, plus a fee if they have to open and reseal the parcel, plus VAT on the price of everything

3.From 20 to 50 dollars depending on whether you use surface or airmail.

4. Your purchase would not likely be covered under UK warranties. It might well get stuffed up by the post. Plus there is something to be said for supporting your local supplier. Having said all that I have done it several times and never had a problem yet.
    "The ones who wish to fight, well, we aim to please"
    Lt. Col. Tim Collins, commander of the 1st Battalion of the Royal Irish

Oh and I joined in April 2002 eleven years a member now

cheers
    so has anyone got away without paying the VAT?

Finglesham-Phil Guest

Smile

Hi,

I have looked into this when I tried to import a US metal detector, there is a charge for tax which the HM C&E will bill you. If you need to know how much give them a ring on the free number in the phone book, they are really helpful and the cost is not as much as you think. or you as afriend to purchase it while on hols and bring it back and gift it to you, are like wise if you have a friend or family in the US they can also gift it to you, the money bit is down to you.

surbiton Guest
    James

I've bought loads of stuff from the US on , not had any problems yet. In theory you have to be prepared to pay duty (if applicable) plus VAT. But it seldom happens. What with "rip off Britain" prices and crap retailers we have here I would give it a go. The exchange rate hasn't been this good for DECADES!

Good Luck

cheers guys,

I must say it's very very tempting and i think ill give it ago.

the model im thinking of is the 4.5 - 14 x 40 (AO) weaver grand slam for $329 which works out to be about £172 plus £30 odd quid say for p&p makes it a bargin buy

the bushnells prices are unreal as well !

I've got a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40 mil dot scope arriving anyday now from the states to go on my mfr. it only cost £236.00 delivered but i'm wondering how much i will get stung at Customs for it
    In starting and waging a war it is not right that matters, but victory. -Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by lucky trigger
    I've got a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40 mil dot scope arriving anyday now from the states to go on my mfr. it only cost £236.00 delivered but i'm wondering how much i will get stung at Customs for it
    Ive just read the pdf copy from the H&M customs + ex website, and by the sounds of things theres quite a small chance that they will pick ur scope out of the thousands of tons of air freight that gos through the terminals every hour, they even admit that

What company did you use just out of interest?

Thanks for that James thats cheered me up a bit I bought mine off a guy on Yank who was reccomended to me by a mate..I can pm you his email addy if you want?
    Minus delivery the bushnell was only £216!!
    In starting and waging a war it is not right that matters, but victory. -Adolf Hitler

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by lucky trigger
    Thanks for that James thats cheered me up a bit I bought mine off a guy on Yank who was reccomended to me by a mate..I can pm you his email addy if you want?
    Minus delivery the bushnell was only £216!!
    yeah that would be great cheers.

Try and get it described as - commercial glass - "no commercial value". The last 3 words are important - I got an extended mag (5 to 10 shot) and AR style stock for my Winchester 1300 s/Gun. Postman dropped it off !!!

Rumplestiltskin Guest
    I've had 4 Scopes from the States, 2x Bushnell 4200 Elite 8-32x40, 1x 6-24 x40 Mil-Dot version, 1x Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 Mil-Dot.
    I've had to pay VAT and Import Duty on all of them, but there is still a big saving:
    3-9 Trophy £80 inc. (approx £140-160 here)
    8-32 4200 Elite £300 inc. (anything upto £600! here)

Quote Originally Posted by Rumplestiltskin
    I've had 4 Scopes from the States, 2x Bushnell 4200 Elite 8-32x40, 1x 6-24 x40 Mil-Dot version, 1x Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 Mil-Dot.
    I've had to pay VAT and Import Duty on all of them, but there is still a big saving:
    3-9 Trophy £80 inc. (approx £140-160 here)
    8-32 4200 Elite £300 inc. (anything upto £600! here)
    how much was the import duty ?

Darren Petts Guest
    If you buy from the reputable retailers they will fill in the paperwork correctly and you'll pay duty/vat etc. Buy via e-bay and you may not get stung for them. Having said that I've paid duty for an e-bay import before today!