Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Securing blackpowder storage box

Securing blackpowder storage box

I've been told that when I get an appropriate wooden box for storing black powder containers that this box will have to be chained down to at least make an additional gesture towards security.

I know people will often attach a chain to the padlock that can lock the box, so my question is what would you attach the other end of the chain to ?

I'm thinking about something like a Eye bolt chemically anchored into the wall, and then another padlock to attach the chain to bolt.

I could use something like a staple from a hasp set but the bolt heads would be exposed without a hasp covering them.

Any ideas ?

My box is secured by chain around the leg of my steel workbench and the padlock through the box's hasp and chain.

FEO was more than happy with this arrangment.

I screwed a small eye bolt into the skirting board, run the chain through the eye and through the padlock on he box.

It seems that the objective is to stop a visitor, (workmen etc), from picking up the box and taking it away.

Different areas have different rules. Some say put it in the loft. Some tell you to chain it up, and some tell you not to chain it up so if there is a fire you can pick up the box and chuck it out of the window. (To stop the firemen being blown up).

seems massive varience in the opinions. My box is kept in a spare room, available to be removed if there is a fire or anything . Theres no requiement for it to be chained or secured in any way!!

I'd ask you FLO why he wants it chaining as i don't think its required as part of the explosives guidance

mine just told me want it chained around box then to external wall
    didnt mention how big a chain
    what ya think
    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7397/9...f8d34f9c_o.jpg
    Last edited by gtpkeeper; 18-06-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    ballkeeper

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Mine is chained around a Dexion leg (Steel shelving). FEO was happy. It's not particularly substantial, and as it is in the garage there are plenty of tools around which could be used to release it quite quickly I suspect. I believe there is no documented standard, and it's just to stop a casual thief walking off with it without breaking something (elevates the crime to a higher level if the goblin damages something).
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

ill pop in to b+q tommrow an get bit chain an i bolt
    ballkeeper

Threaded eye bolt fastened into the gun cabinet, saves faffing about drilling the wall
    Careful with that axe Eugene

Threaded eye bolt fastened into the gun cabinet, saves faffing about drilling the wal
    ?????
    ballkeeper

Thumbs up

I've heard about people being told not to put them in the loft, if there was a fire and you couldn't get it out in time all the roof tiles would turn into shrapnel and cover quite a big area. My friend put his in a coat cupboard near an outside door, chained to the wall and his FEO was more than happy about that

done mine like that, now to wait to hear from the feo
    Last edited by gtpkeeper; 26-06-2013 at 04:30 PM.
    ballkeeper

Mine didn't want it fixed if it was in the house,only if it was in a shed or garage.

box

Rollo my mate is getting rid of all his black powder things ,i know he as a box .And might have other bits also .

Quote Originally Posted by Gunman61 View Post
    Rollo my mate is getting rid of all his black powder things ,i know he as a box .And might have other bits also .
    If Rollo isn't interested, depending on what's there I might be
    I am quite certain that the argument you've already won in your head was entirely more satisfying to you than the one that is actually occurring.
    Member of WR&PC,BASC & UBC

box

morph pm sent .