Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for my first vintage air rifle... advice please

Thanks for your help guys!

Think I'm going to try a HW35E first

Anything to look for?? I found this a couple of times:

"The fact the breach front face wears on the lever means if buying always ask for picks of this area, check under cylinder too as late ones (still now too I think) score up where cocking arm needs bending slightly, old ones especially single sided safety ones can have porous brazing so always chrono"

Anything else? I'll do a search and see if I can find out about changes over the years.... though please point me in the right direction if you know of any good links etc...

ATVB
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by brucegill View Post
    Anything else? I'll do a search and see if I can find out about changes over the years...
    There's some handy info regarding HW serial numbers and various spec changes in T20's thread, here, go to post #9.

You seem to have covered the areas to look at on the HW35. Always check that the open sights are still on the rifle, they often go AWOL over the years.

The sights can be replaced, but budget around £50 to do so. It's worth it though as these rifles are fun to shoot with open sights and balance so much better than when fitted with an overly large scope. HTH

Quote Originally Posted by 18 Wheeler View Post
    There's some handy info regarding HW serial numbers and various spec changes in T20's thread, here, go to post #9.

You seem to have covered the areas to look at on the HW35. Always check that the open sights are still on the rifle, they often go AWOL over the years.

The sights can be replaced, but budget around £50 to do so. It's worth it though as these rifles are fun to shoot with open sights and balance so much better than when fitted with an overly large scope. HTH
    Thanks mate. Open sights would have to be there... I really fancy a plink with one in open sights! or an HFT round for a bit of a giggle would need some prctise as I think my shooting parter (PCP lover) would pack it in if I beet him... he already get the hump when I manage to out score him with a springer

I'l have a good read.... T 20's thread re the LGVHW30 looks great too. but for now, just a standard one will do and make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by brucegill View Post
    Thanks for your help guys!

Think I'm going to try a HW35E first

Anything to look for??

ATVB
    Bruce
    Nice choice.

Check for excessive barrel droop. Hold the rifle on its side and look down the edge of the stock. Extend this sight line down the barrel and any droop will be apparent. Its not a real problem if your using the open sight fixed on the barrel but if you intend to use a peep sight (fitted on the cylinder) or a scope, you may need special droop compensating mounts.
    Also if its got 13mm scope rails your choice of o/p mounts may be limited unless your lucky and can find a Apel 13mm o/p They do appear in the sales section every now and again.
    If possible try the rifle over a chrono before you buy.
    Some of the early Exports have lovely grained walnut stocks.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Nice choice.

Check for excessive barrel droop. Hold the rifle on its side and look down the edge of the stock. Extend this sight line down the barrel and any droop will be apparent. Its not a real problem if your using the open sight fixed on the barrel but if you intend to use a peep sight (fitted on the cylinder) or a scope, you may need special droop compensating mounts.
    Also if its got 13mm scope rails your choice of o/p mounts may be limited unless your lucky and can find a Apel 13mm o/p They do appear in the sales section every now and again.
    If possible try the rifle over a chrono before you buy.
    Some of the early Exports have lovely grained walnut stocks.

HTH
    Ian
    Many thanks Ian, thats a real help! I have two that have been offered to me so fingers crossed one will be a good 'un. Not fussed about stripping and sorting them out but very good to know the possible problems. Looks like ones a 1982-3, not sure about the other one yet. though been told it has a good looking stock

Thanks and best
    bruce

If you need to strip the rifle this: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...0strip%20down/ may be of help.
    The HW35 is one of the easiest rifles I know to strip and spares are readily available.

HTH
    Ian

Thanks for that! Funnily enough, it's one of my open pages at the moment Also found http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.co.uk/ pretty good!

Been offered a 35E from someone at my club. Missing the open sights though

Can anyone tell me if the ones on the HW80 are the same? I've read that the older 35 sights have a metal windage and the new ones plastic? Also something about 3 screws and 2 screws. Can't remember which way round though. Is there any other info that might help me? I need to get a good book on all of this!! Will do a search and see if any books come up.

Thanks
    Bruce

I dont know about the latest open sights being plastic windage but 80 & 35 are the same sights. The later '80s ones had a choice of back sight blade. Chambers list the HW80/35/85 rear sight with the same part number (OSO85)
    I dont know what they mean about '2 and 3 screws'.
    HW35 open sights are readily available second hand.
    As I stated earlier early '35 has 13mm scope rails and later ones 11mm. It may be more difficult to source good 13mm scope mounts.

HTH
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 08-02-2013 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Part no. added.

For me, it would have to be a Feinwerkbau Sport, although the Weihrauch trigger is better.
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Just started a new thread as need some info on a 35E I've found
    Last edited by brucegill; 10-02-2013 at 04:36 PM.