Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hw 55 mm valuation

Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
    I own a very nice HW55 and I have owned another one a few years back The one I previously owned shot hobbies at 700 ft/sec which is probably about 8 ft lbs

The one I now own had had the leather washer replaced by a modern piston head by a previous owner and also had a stronger spring fitted

Power was around 7 ft lbs when I bought it

I shortened the spring because it was very harsh to shoot and was surprised that power had increased to between 8 and 9 ft lbs

It was still on the harsh side to shoot so I have now reduced the spring length again and now the rifle is very nice to shoot at about 7 ft lbs

The cylinders on the 55's are not that large compared to full power HW's and so I would think that 11 ft lbs would be very difficult to achieve unless the rifle was dieseling.

These rifles make an ideal bell target gun and 6.5-8.0 ft lbs is probably what they were designed to shoot at

John
    Thankyou for taking the time to answer
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

Hw55

There was a thread on the BBS that discussed the rifles potential with changes to the transfer port diameter and the piston head material

It was posted not so long ago and from what I remember, there was a reduction in the transfer port diameter for the later models using synthetic piston heads.
    It makes sense and would probably explain why my early model was harsh to shoot with the larger diameter transfer port and nylon piston head (plus strong spring)

One or two guys on here seemed to know quite a bit about these old HW's

I have to say that I do like them and wished I had the full set
    John
    hold me back !!

One of my HW55 rifles had been "improved" inside by a previous owner, so I bought a piston head set from Chamberlains that included a new leather washer, spacer and screw - I much prefer this to a synthetic washer on an older rifle.

I then discarded the "over-powered" spring that had been fitted and replaced it with a new HW55 spring of the type originally specified for this superb little target rifle.....and now it shoots like a dream!

Super smooth and super accurate - just the way they should be.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Interesting thread!

Whent to pick up my new HW35E tonight (lovely ) and the guy has a georgous HW55T for sale. I shot it was amazed. It was a dream to shoot. Anyone know what these are worth? V good condition, all original but missing open sights / diopter and a lovely tyrolean stock. Was a 1978/79.

Thanks and sorry for the hijack, seemed silly starting a new thread.

I'm really tempted. The trigger was outstanding. Also looked like there was a cavity in the stock for weighting it?

Quote Originally Posted by brucegill View Post
    Interesting thread!

Whent to pick up my new HW35E tonight (lovely ) and the guy has a georgous HW55T for sale. I shot it was amazed. It was a dream to shoot. Anyone know what these are worth? V good condition, all original but missing open sights / diopter and a lovely tyrolean stock. Was a 1978/79.

I'm really tempted. The trigger was outstanding. Also looked like there was a cavity in the stock for weighting it?
    The trigger on the '55 is the same unit, apart from a collar on the weight adjusting screw, as the one on your '35. Yes, when set up properly they are that good.

Ive often wondered - did Weihrauch give the Rekord units in their match '55 a bit of extra care? A bit more polishing on the sears here and there. Nothing a good home gunsmith cant do. It was, after all, their flag ship match rifle.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    The trigger on the '55 is the same unit, apart from a collar on the weight adjusting screw, as the one on your '35. Yes, when set up properly they are that good.

Ive often wondered - did Weihrauch give the Rekord units in their match '55 a bit of extra care? A bit more polishing on the sears here and there. Nothing a good home gunsmith cant do. It was, after all, their flag ship match rifle.

ATB
    Ian
    Did they not give the 55 lighter sear springs?
    As for finding one, good luck! there is the odd one come up on egun but I've had to settle on an original HW50 its pretty much the same mechanics/proportions as the 55 but with no manual barrel locking tap, saying that they are probably just a rare now

Quote Originally Posted by thevoid View Post
    Did they not give the 55 lighter sear springs?
    As for finding one, good luck! there is the odd one come up on egun but I've had to settle on an original HW50 its pretty much the same mechanics/proportions as the 55 but with no manual barrel locking tap, saying that they are probably just a rare now
    Good point. Did they???
    I know you can get the trigger weight on a standard Rekord unit down to what I consider dangerously light.

Ive just checked. Same part nos. on Chambers.

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 14-02-2013 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Additional info.

Hw55

The 55 had a lighter trigger spring, the one under the adj screw. which strangely Chambers give the same part no for as the other reckord units!

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    The 55 had a lighter trigger spring, the one under the adj screw. which strangely Chambers give the same part no for as the other reckord units!
    Thank you for that info.

ATB
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by brucegill View Post
    Interesting thread!

Did you buy this from Toby Lee in Hertford
    Thanks Jenny
    ps If ever you want to sell it I would like it back where it belongs!

Hw55

Just picked up a lovely HW55T for £450 from a gun shop. Missing it's diopter but stunning condition and had the rare barrel weight fitted. Hope that is some help? Mach 1.5

Posting some pics would be nice for the rest of us searchers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Just picked up a lovely HW55T for £450 from a gun shop. Missing it's diopter but stunning condition and had the rare barrel weight fitted. Hope that is some help? Mach 1.5
    what size rail as i have to boxed early hw diopter £90 each

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Dipple View Post
    Posting some pics would be nice for the rest of us searchers!
    I have a nice 55t for sale its in bits as the leather seal is no good. if someone wants it as is for £425 and £475 inc dioptre

Hw55t

I'm sure the rails on the 55's are 13mm? Mach 1.5