Thread: Looking for Airgun Club Somerset

Looking for Airgun Club Somerset

Hi All Im Steve, I live in somerset and looking for an Air gun club in the area.
    Can anyone Help?

Steve

Tomahawkss is offline Nearly the "Last Man Standing"..... twice.
    Try here

SW Airgun clubs

East Devon is probably the closest to you and is a pretty good set up.
    HTH Andy
    Short Stroked Venom Tomahawk !

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawkss View Post
    Try here

SW Airgun clubs

East Devon is probably the closest to you and is a pretty good set up.
    HTH Andy
    Is that the Exmouth Club by any chance?
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

As Andy said, probably East Devon is closest to you. I've just returned from Mendip Airgun range, had a good couple of hours in the indoor range. Had a bacon butty to boot! I hadn't been there in years. I've been meaning to try East Devon and haven't yet visited but many like it.

Good luck

Chris
    Air Arms TX200
    HW110
    FX Verminator MK2

Thanks for your help Guys, any Idea how I can contact them?

Thanks
    Steve

As it hapopens there is a club on your doorstep, Taunton Rifle & Pistol club. 10m air rifle and pistol (and .22 prone).

PM me for details I'm the secretary.

Great news that
    Air Arms TX200
    HW110
    FX Verminator MK2

Quote Originally Posted by tim s View Post
    As it hapopens there is a club on your doorstep, Taunton Rifle & Pistol club. 10m air rifle and pistol (and .22 prone).

PM me for details I'm the secretary.
    Hi Tim,

We used to travel up to shoot against the Taunton Air Weapons Club in the 70's soon after I started the Exmouth Air Pistol & Rifle Club - I am guessing that group may have had some ties ( or at least some shared members) with your club?

We shot at 6 yards in the NARPA days, but also at 10 meters - mostly pistols.

Anyone with a long enough memory to remember those friendly tussles?

I remember some good shooting, even better fun - and the odd pint of beer too!

I think the airgun side have been going for that long. I don't think they merged with the Rifle club until the '80s though. I have a suspicion they used to used in Kingston St Mary.

Quote Originally Posted by tim s View Post
    I think the airgun side have been going for that long. I don't think they merged with the Rifle club until the '80s though. I have a suspicion they used to used in Kingston St Mary.
    Kingston St. Mary - that name rings a distant bell!

Was it close to or attached to a pub by any chance - possibly a small barn type out-building? (it was a long time ago).

I believe the bearded guy that run the Taunton Air Weapons Club told me he had something to do with the NARPA committee at the time, but I also seem to remember shooting at more then one location in or around Taunton - maybe at a social club/sports hall as well, but still with the same club.

Both locations sold beer though - unlike our club that was based in a church hall just outside Sandy Bay (but opposite a nice pub!)

I will try to find one of the Taunton club badges that I was given at the time and take a picture of it as it may be of some local interest to your club.

There is a good pub in kingston, The Swan.

I'm not sure who the bearded chap would be, little before my time, but the air section were quite active upon a time.

The Club in Kingston St Mary was under the Kingston Club which would have been the barn type looking building.
    The Swan is a very nice pub under a different management now, they do some very good food in there.

Steve

Thanks for filling in the gaps for me - those were good times and bring back even better memories.

I have just found one of the original enamel badges from your old club - a circular badge with a blue background and a black rim with the club name "Taunton Air Weapons Club" in gold lettering around it. A white target with a red bull is the centre emblem with a pair of crossed rifles in black over the top.

Quite a good club badge - very similar to our Exmouth Air Pistol and Rifle Club badge that I designed (apart from the club name and colour choice!) - we had a lot of inter-club activities in those days and shared a lot of helpful ideas and information!