Thread: BSA Lightning XL SE GRT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by terrierforce View Post
    Good review the first one I have seen on this gun. Is this a spanish made BSA or Brum? This gun was of interest to me what with the demise of Theoben and the Evo and I so wanted it to be good because it really does look the part, But it doesn't sound like it's going to fill that slot shame really, BSA just seem to be keep turning out guns that just don't hit the mark. Keep us informed on how you go with getting the probs sorted, I presume when it get's sent back it goes to Brummie land and they are left to rectify probs that was done in Spain, but it also sounds like that there also could also be design/production faults.
    My local dealer came to exactly the same conclusion regarding the Spanish made guns,they are so close to being really good ,but there is just something lacking compared to the old british built Supersports/XLs.Consequently, he only stocks the British built XL Tactical along with all of BSA`s PCP range ,-he also had to return a batch of Gamo Gas-rams ,due to low power and a harsh firing cycle (probably due to them originally being FAC/Export power strangled down to our sub-12 ft/lb standard!)
    Webley Longbow SE; 0.22
    Weihrauch HW80; 0.22 (1987.)
    Beeman P17/HW40 "hybrid" pistol; 0.177

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by harry palmer View Post
    My local dealer came to exactly the same conclusion regarding the Spanish made guns,they are so close to being really good ,but there is just something lacking compared to the old british built Supersports/XLs.Consequently, he only stocks the British built XL Tactical along with all of BSA`s PCP range ,-he also had to return a batch of Gamo Gas-rams ,due to low power and a harsh firing cycle (probably due to them originally being FAC/Export power strangled down to our sub-12 ft/lb standard!)
    my lightenig is just as bad inside bsa said tuff basicaly you've took it in bits got new piston seal and ultra tune kit from chambers so far spent couple of hours de burring gun and hour or so trying to fit piston seal. have you ever tryed pushing a 10 mm inverted mushroom through a 5 mm hole not fun .Cheers BSA for spoiling a nice looking gun with shoddy workmanship!!! Viva la bleeding spania!!!!!!!!

I bought one of these last week after reading the poor reviews but it was at a good price and I love the look of the rifle (it's the only break barrell I like the look of)

Build quality is great, accuracy is pretty good up to 20 yards which is fine for what I want it for, and I'm sure will get better with practice.

It looks gorgeous, it breaks nicely and doesn't feel graunchy like some others.

The only thing that disappoints is the trigger, it has too long a travel, and you just hold your breath and try and keep the gun on target till it releases. It doesn't seem to release predictably and does cause a bit of stress when firing. I've tried adjusting the trigger tension and it makes no difference whatsoever from tight to nearly screwed all the way out.

I'm not too bothered as I bought it on looks and it's still fun for a no effort self contained rifle when I'm not in the mood for going down the local shop to fill up my pcp and if I want something that hits the target every time without trying then I just revert back to my s200

In short if the trigger was predictable and more pleasant to use then this would be an awesome gun.

I rate it great as it is though