Thread: 10 Gauge

10 Gauge

Acquired an interesting percussion 10 Gauge with lovely Damascus barrels. In really good condition the barrels are inscribed "Canon a Rubans" meaning "Barrel of Ribbons". Belgium proof marks. It weighs 11.5 lbs. Picture on my website: http://www.see-the-lead.com/index.html
    Gordon H

Quote Originally Posted by edmund View Post
    Acquired an interesting percussion 10 Gauge with lovely Damascus barrels. In really good condition the barrels are inscribed "Canon a Rubans" meaning "Barrel of Ribbons". Belgium proof marks. It weighs 11.5 lbs. Picture on my website: http://www.see-the-lead.com/index.html
    It means 'Twist-form barrels', or, as you correctly note - 'Damascus twist' in English. Please do not shoot it without a thorough check by somebody who knows what they are looking at.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    It means 'Twist-form barrels', or, as you correctly note - 'Damascus twist' in English. Please do not shoot it without a thorough check by somebody who knows what they are looking at.

tac
    Never an intention to shoot it - I still have my old black powder permits from 1963!
    Gordon H

Quote Originally Posted by edmund View Post
    Never an intention to shoot it - I still have my old black powder permits from 1963!
    Apologies if it seemed as though I was pre-empting your decision. You would be surprised how many DO pick up an old gun asd make unwise assumptions about it from its external appearance.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Apologies if it seemed as though I was pre-empting your decision. You would be surprised how many DO pick up an old gun asd make unwise assumptions about it from its external appearance.

tac
    Accepted, but the gun is classified as an antique anyway tac.
    I intend to leave it that way and have a wider market for potential sale. The Damascus looks sound on the outside and the tube light doesn't reveal any obvious problems but, as you know, it could unravel! For the sake of a couple of risky shots its not worth it.
    Gordon H