Thread: Newbie

I decided to join yesterday after browsing the site for a few days. There is certainly a lot of information on here. It's been quite some time since I owned air guns. My last rifle was a Feinwerkbau Sport and my last pistol was a Walther LP53. From what I have seen on prices I wish I still had them. I always bought from Manchester Airguns. I was delighted to find that they are still going strong.

I thought it was time I got back into doing something. I am looking at pistols and I'm overwhelmed at what's on offer. Perhaps I should start by buying used. Well the old eyes are not what they were for sure. Perhaps a CO2 bulb pistol for 10m,although a IZ46m looks very nice for a pneumatic. I think that there are so many alpha-numeric configurations that I get lost.

Anyway,thanks for reading my first post.

Glen.

Hello Glen,

For a first 10m pistol you can't go far wrong with a Gamo Compact.

2nd hand they are anything from £80 to £130 ish.

If you fancy something a little more classic then the Original Model 6 is an excellent gun.

I prefer the 6G, but the shrouded front sight is not allowed in some competitions, so the 6M is more flexible.

Kind regards,

Phil
    I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
    >>Classic Air Pistol Association<<
    >>North Manchester Target Club<<

Hi Glen,

Good to hear from you again - and I know you are Feinwerkbau springer man really, so check-out the Muscle Power League thread as this is a competition for classic air pistols that you may find interesting - it is even worth reading for the "banter" alone - but it may encourage you as you can see a competition that is ideally suited to your favourite Model 65 pistol.

You can shoot a choice of Model 65 and Model 80 pistols at RMTC to see if they measure up to the fond memories you have of them.

The new Classic Carbon League may also interest you - so check that thread out as well.

Let me know if transport is a problem for you now, and we will see if we have anyone that passes close enough to give you a lift in and out from the club.

Hope to see you again soon - Bob.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Hi Phil,

I have heard good things about the Gamo Compact once the trigger is sorted out. I will have a look at the Original 6. Thanks for your time answering my first post.

Hi Bob,

You just know that you are putting temptation in my way AGAIN. You know I would love to own a FWB65 or FWB80. I don't think these days that I could out-shoot ANY pistol. I am a little stuck with transport at the moment so I will check on public transport. I just may turn up out of the blue.

Glen.

CO2 bulb pistol for 10m? Cant beat the Tau 7
    ATB,
    yana

Hi Yana,

Yes, I've been looking at the TAU 7. My list is getting longer

FWB65
    FWB80
    Original 6
    Gamo Compact
    IZH 46M

TAU 7

Please don't anyone say one of each.

Glen.

The Gamo Compact is a great start, and will give you time to try various other guns before you eventually up grade.

I still use mine in a 10m comp, to good effect.

The triggers on the later models are not as good as the earlier ones, but these are an easy fix: a longer set screw and quick polish is all that is required.

I am currently using a ROHM Twinmaster Top, which you can pick up these days for around the £250 mark. Another good entry gun for the money.

I am currently contemplating a Steyr LP2, just waiting for the right one to come up on the 2nd hand market, though they are quite rare at the moment, so I might have to go new.

A good club is certainly worth a visit, as you'll probably find one of everything owned by the members.

Unfortunately, what is just around the corner by car can be an epic journey on the bus.

Kind regards,

Phil
    I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
    >>Classic Air Pistol Association<<
    >>North Manchester Target Club<<

Hi Phil,

I don't mind the bus but I've just checked the timetable and it looks as though the evening 464 service is a no go for Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Never mind,things may change. I got rid of my 4 wheeled money pit 12 months ago.

I must say that there is a excellent choice in pistols out there.

Glen.