Thread: is a mfr worth the extra dosh

is a mfr worth the extra dosh

is the mfr worth the extra dosh or am i just spending the dosh for the hell of it . my head is spinning with the thought i may be making a mistake wanted a 177 mfr for ages but i keep thinking for the money i am going to spend i could get a brand new aa410 177 and still have money left over (all my shooting is hunting mostly rabbits) could any of you lads that have tryed both rifles give me your views

thanks del

loiner1965 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by del
    is the mfr worth the extra dosh or am i just spending the dosh for the hell of it . my head is spinning with the thought i may be making a mistake wanted a 177 mfr for ages but i keep thinking for the money i am going to spend i could get a brand new aa410 177 and still have money left over (all my shooting is hunting mostly rabbits) could any of you lads that have tryed both rifles give me your views

thanks del
    personally i would go for a mk 2 rapid,mfr are nice but dodgy regs,,,,get a mk2 and get it tuned by donnyc

Quote Originally Posted by del

thanks del
    Try a 410K or a Hornet.

Unless you need to shoot 200 rabbits in a night, or are looking for FAC power levels, either of the two rifles above will save you money AND do the job you want. Spend the rest of the money on an AGS SWAT and you're away with a hunting rig that'll serve you well. And won't lose much value if you sell it.

To be good, one must do good.

theshooter Guest
    Keep with the MKII they look better and hold more shots than the MFR, (and come with a magazine, not a 10pence piece of plastic) You could get the MFR and have a carbon BAR barrel fitted though?
    But I would keep to my original desision with the MKII.

kevG Guest
    get a mfr and put a standard rapid barrel on it,same reg type as mk11.

kevG

Hello,

I think I'm probably going to be controversial here... I don't think they are worth the extra money. No doubt they are good guns, enough has been written in these columns to make it perfectly clear. But are they great guns?? Perhaps, but time will tell.

I agree with a previous post. There are guns which will do exactly the same job with purpose and style, which do cost a lot less.

If you need a gun with a high shot capacity, that's accurate and versatile, with a good magazine capacity, I think the Super Ten is a great gun, as is the Hornet 10, which is also regulated.

Want accuracy, but something a bit 'handier', chose the AA410 or the Daystate X2, these too are excellent guns.

If I were after a hunting rifle, and had MFR money to spend, I know what I'd buy, and it wouldn't be the MFR.... it would be a Daystate Mk3 or a used Ripley XL.

Ther, I've said it, I'm now heading for cover before the sniping starts
    Regards,

Doug

Tigger C Guest

Mfr

I have an MFR in .177 and rate it very highly indeed. I cannot fault the accuracy with AA Field. It is much deader to shoot than a Daystate MK3 IMO. It did have a reg. leakage problem early on which Theoben sorted by return of post, and since then has been fine. I find the breech cutout great for single loading. A fine trigger too
    Rgds.
    Chris.

cooky Guest
    Buy a rws500 in .177

RWS500?
    and be unable to give it away when you want to sell it.

The MFR isnt worth the extra money over a S410, but is a BMW worth the extra over a ford, or a quality british hi-fi over a japanese one. I could go on , but you get the idea . Some things in life are not worth the money you pay for them in one way, but the satisfaction of owning one of the best rifles on the market makes it worth it in my opinion. If you just want something to shoot rabbits your Hw100 is already more than adequate

cooky Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lloyd
    RWS500?
    and be unable to give it away when you want to sell it.

I dont know lloyd you were selling one on your site second hand a few months ago more than i paid new for mine

So you paid under trade price then. Well done.

I had an s410k, great rifle but i have an mfr now and have to say i pefer it to the 410.. more shots, better magazine, single shot tray i can get on with etc.etc
    Yes its a lot more money but as has been mentioned before its a classy piece of kit and i just get a lot of pleasure using it . I could have bought a mk 3 for the money. i've put a few pellets through one at the club but i guess i'm old fashioned as the computerised 'super gun' did nothing for me even though a mega accurate tool which my mate swears he will never get rid of!
    As always its 'each to his own'.. But i know what i would choose
    In starting and waging a war it is not right that matters, but victory. -Adolf Hitler

I like using my MFR but it needed a better stock by PW and a bit of fettling by BT. So now its overly expensive but great to shoot. Is it worth all the money..Yes. But at a recent HFT comp I tried the latest version of the Daystate MK3, Sporter, and I was blown away by the trigger and smooth firing cycle. So what do I want to spend my money on now. My MFR with its great bolt and mag matched with the Daystate trigger system. I can only dream.
    David.

all i can say is thanks very much for all your views lads and lloyd i will be there on sat you just get that rifle ready

thanks
    del
    (ford or bmw think i will have the bmw)

Quote Originally Posted by savantuk
    If I were after a hunting rifle, and had MFR money to spend, I know what I'd buy, and it wouldn't be the MFR.... it would be a Daystate Mk3 or a used Ripley XL.
    Ther, I've said it, I'm now heading for cover before the sniping starts
    Sorry Doug I couldn't agree with you less! Not going to comment on the Daystate-I know it is a lovely rifle but I have no experience of it as a hunting tool.. However, I owned a Ripley XL9 FAC and sold it and kept my FAC Rapid 2. The Ripper was an accurate and well made rifle but had too many negatives- for me anyway:
    1. With the essential silencer, far too long and too heavy.
    2. Magazine beautifully made but fiddly to load and index and without a shot counter. This made it nowhere near as user friendly as the brilliant Theoben magazine.
    3. No safety catch-just plain ridiculous on such a powerful air rifle.
    4. It needed a 300 bar fill to get just over 20 shots. Admittedly I had my power level set very high (70 ft lb for the first few shots) and at a more sensible 30 ft lb that number would be higher but still would need 300 bar which means you are for ever going to the dive shop sometimes to be told that 'sorry our 300 bar compressor needs repairing'. Without that fill pressure the rifle was effectively useless in contrast to the Rapid which only needs a 232 bar fill to get maximum shot count. Incidentally, I have not seen this point made by any commentators on the Ripley XL other than myself!
    For me that adds up to too many negatives at that price point. It was a lovely rifle but I don't miss it at all-I know it went to a good home in Arizona-are you there Art?
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.