View Poll Results: Venom Vs V-mach-your preference?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Old School Venom

16 61.54%
  • V-mach

10 38.46%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old School Venom lazaglide Vs Modern V-mach Weihrauchs...

Old School Venom lazaglide Vs Modern V-mach Weihrauchs...

...not wanting to open a can of worms here, BUT-are the newer rifles on a par with the rifles built by Ken Turner, Ivan Hancock And Dave Pope? Steve Pope is certainly acknowledged as the finest tuner currently operating-is he as good as the original team> What thinks the BBS springer obsessed collective?

The reason for this thread? Well, I have been on a mission for the past few months, to locate the springer, which in the words of my Friend Dan Horrocks, is "The One"!
    I have sold all but one of my pre-charges rifles and used the funds to search the lenght and breadth (quite literally) of this fine land to search out rare Weihrauchs
    I now intend to carry out a comparrison test, looking at the various attributes of these rifles. In my experience, almost ALL springers shoot slightly differently from one another-or maybe it would be better to phrase it as "no two spring rifles shoot identically".

Please add your own thoughts to my ramblings
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

Older Venom tuned guns are smoother and gentler than the current V glides which could be described as short-er and snappy-er. I suspect the older ones feel 'nicer' and sound sweeter but the newer ones with shorter lock times might actually perform better.

It depends Graham whether you want your 'special friend' for a 'nice feel' or 'better performance'. You tell me??
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

[It depends Graham whether you want a 'nice feel' or 'better performance'. You tell me??[/QUOTE]

Lets stick to airguns, eh Nick?

I want the Holy Grail, Gentle recoil, good accuracy and NO hold sensitivity - I may just have found it too

All lies matter

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    Older Venom tuned guns are smoother and gentler than the current V glides which could be described as short-er and snappy-er. I suspect the older ones feel 'nicer' and sound sweeter but the newer ones with shorter lock times might actually perform better.
    I agree with the old geyser

Quote Originally Posted by Baxterbasics View Post
    [It depends Graham whether you want a 'nice feel' or 'better performance'. You tell me??

I want the Holy Grail, Gentle recoil, good accuracy and NO hold sensitivity - I may just have found it too[/QUOTE]

Have you bought a tuned TX

Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Coney View Post

I want the Holy Grail, Gentle recoil, good accuracy and NO hold sensitivity - I may just have found it too

Alan.[/QUOTE]

No-John Mallows (Snooper) has got them all

I remember shooting Jon Budd's self tuned TX200 HC's years ago-they had a very fast lock time and shot beautifully- Jon was practically winning every competition he entered with them (seriously-he was beating FT Guns)-I found I preferred the genteel manners of an HW97K.
    Having said that, the modern V-Mach'd 97k I now own, shoots not too disimilarly to Jon's TX's

The only way I can carry out an accurate and fair comparison of my "Harem" of HW's is to shoot them all in the same stock-probably the One from My Zephyr 77.

All lies matter

Alan.
    No-John Mallows (Snooper) has got them all

I remember shooting Jon Budd's self tuned TX200 HC's years ago-they had a very fast lock time and shot beautifully- Jon was practically winning every competition he entered with them (seriously-he was beating FT Guns)-I found I preferred the genteel manners of an HW97K.
    Having said that, the modern V-Mach'd 97k I now own, shoots not too disimilarly to Jon's TX's

The only way I can carry out an accurate and fair comparison of my "Harem" of HW's is to shoot them all in the same stock-probably the One from My Zephyr 77.[/QUOTE]

A couple of guys at Anston are competing very well indeed against pcp FT shooters and returning very respectable scores, in fact Brian Samson was our highest placed shooter at the recent NEFTA winter league shoot at Hull using my old TX200 mk1

Sounds like both you and Jon should be getting your names down to shoot the British Recoiling Championships on March 24th at Anston, see the link below

http://www.anstonftc.co.uk/

Alan.
    Last edited by Coney; 01-03-2013 at 05:47 PM.

A...

...shooting bud of mine has a Mastersport 77 in a Mastersport FT stock and it is very, very sweet. Bad news? It's a cack-hander

It's one of the few that I rate beside my old-school Venom 95
    Pardon?

I currently own a HW 97K which Steve Pope did for a magazine article a few years ago, after getting in touch and finding out more about the rifle, I was informed that Steve did everything possible to the rifle which has a V-Mach kit fitted. It's not as smooth as some of the older TXs and custom 77s I have shot in the past, but the lock time Is much quicker. It's currently in a Steve Lanyman FT stock, and i Am enjoying shooting it more than my PCPs to the point that I've sold my EV2 MK4. Still getting used to it as I have only had it in the FT stock a couple of weeks, I used it at the last MFTA winter league at Milride, didn't shoot too good with it, but that was down to me. I did manage a 15 on the silhouettes with It though. Looking forward to the Anston shoot, and may even do the NEFTA Classic with it. Also done extensive pellet testing with it, and it likes JSB 7.9 express Diablo along with Daystate selects. Neil.

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    ...shooting bud of mine has a Mastersport 77 in a Mastersport FT stock and it is very, very sweet. Bad news? It's a cack-hander
    All mine are too, which Graham (Baxterbasics) wishes wasn't the case
    He's fired my HW80 sporter and my TX200 Ultraglide and would probably like to try the rest as well

I'm trying to get the day off for the Anston springer comp, but there are too many of my colleagues already on leave. I will have to leave it nearer the time to see if I can get the Sunday off.

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

Old vs New

My tuppence worth ...

I wandered in a gunshop many moons ago now and spotted a very very nice looking 77 in the 2nd hand rack going for peanuts. It turned out it was an old Venom Vantage and had a lovely walnut tiger stock and brass straight blade trigger and silencer/catch.

It was as smooth a 77 as I'd ever cocked/shot and very very accurate. I shot it at the HFT Worlds at the first year and it shot well on the first day and then I couldn't hit a thing on the 2nd day. When I got home I took it apart ( for the first time ) and I was surprised that it didn't have any buttons on the piston. So not Lazaglide ... just a metal custom rear guide and a top hat and sleeve. The spring had broken in 2 places. So I contacted V-Mach ... Venom had gone at this point. Steve told me that that sounded like an old Venom kit and his kits had changed a bit as the new ( at that time ) rear guides are now delrin. He advised that it would be a nightmare trying to match a spring to those guides so just fit a complete new V-Mach kit. So that's what I did. Just dropped it in.

The gun still cocks and fires very smooth. It's the most accurate gun I have. The action is now in a FT stock and is called 'The Yacht' and if I use the right pellets and do my bit it will do sub 10mm groups at 35 yards.

So for me, the new V-Mach kits are as good as the old ones ... I just can't see how it can be any better than this ( for me ). I suppose it's what you get used to ... I've shot other people's tuned 77's and TX's and some do seem to have less kick than this ... but the kick is so fast on this ( it seems to me ) and the trigger better than any other I've shot ( for me ) ... that I just find this so easy to shoot accurately. Just as easy as my pcp's.

The thing that I must add ... I've had loads of 77s and I've fitted V-Mach kits in some of them and other tuning kits in others. I have another 77 now with V-Mach internals and silencer/catch. Now I don't know what else they did to this old 77 above ... but even with V-Mach kits in, none of my other 77s come close to this old one for smoothness of cocking and sharpness of trigger and ease to shoot very accurately. They are good ... but when you then pick up and shoot this one ... it's just different ... butit does now have a more modern V-Mach kit.

I wonder if in many ways there is a question of how well used the rifles are: I suspect that the older conversions were often owned by people who really used them i.e. they are well run in and are consequently smoother compared to a lot of the later conversions which if the sales section is anything to go by, are sold all too soon after completion and have not been given a chance to adequately run in.

There is as Nick points out perhaps a changing trend in tuning for faster lock times rather than simply a smooth delivery?

Talking of tuning greats, lets not forget Mr innovation - John Bowkett.

...not wanting to open a can of worms here, BUT-are the newer rifles on a par with the rifles built by Ken Turner, Ivan Hancock And Dave Pope? Steve Pope is certainly acknowledged as the finest tuner currently operating-is he as good as the original team> What thinks the BBS springer obsessed collective?

The reason for this thread? Well, I have been on a mission for the past few months, to locate the springer, which in the words of my Friend Dan Horrocks, is "The One"!
    I have sold all but one of my pre-charges rifles and used the funds to search the lenght and breadth (quite literally) of this fine land to search out rare Weihrauchs
    I now intend to carry out a comparrison test, looking at the various attributes of these rifles. In my experience, almost ALL springers shoot slightly differently from one another-or maybe it would be better to phrase it as "no two spring rifles shoot identically".

Please add your own thoughts to my ramblings
    Latest v glides, are streets ahead -
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    I agree with the old geyser
    A geyser is a water jet. The word you want is 'geezer'. And not so much of the old.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Have to say I shot an old dog of a 77 last night. it was .22 and my much newer glided 97 is .177 but boy, what a difference. the old one was meant to have been tuned many moons ago but no buttoning on the cylinder for sure. it was so smooth and soft. the new 97, although VERY accurate, is very sharp/harsh and fast. I didn't have long with the old 77 so no accuracy tests, and it was in .22 but it opened my eyes a little.

I'm on the look out for a nice old full length 77 in .177 now lol

Can it really just be years of use? were they tuned a little better back in the day, with more time spent on each individual rifle? is it the newer trend for short stiff springs?

My newer v-glided 97 is great to shoot but I have to say I much preferred the shot cycle of the ol' 77