This is a real toughie.

I have a selection of HWs, all tuned by Dave, Ivan and Steve (remember, Steve worked alongside pops for a fair few years). They're all superb. The sweetest of the bunch has to be my Lazaglided Bullpup 80, which you'd expect, as my Vantage 77 just has a "standard" tune, but there ain't much in it.

Can anyone now remember / did anyone know how much was actually done when Venom breathed their magic on spring guns? Were the cylinders honed? -Probably not required on 77s, but of greater value on un sleeved springers. We're transfer ports re-profiled/opened up/smoothed?
All my Venoms are lovely. I've not actually used some of them for years as most of my shooting recently has been at very close range at home, and they're too special for that. I seem to remember that my .22 80, although smooth, did feel very lazy, but then you'd expect that with increased efficiency but running standard stroke and bore.....amazingly accurate, though, very forgiving and this gun has accounted for more bunnies than all my others.

I hope to bring the Bullpup to the springer gathering.....we got there, Graham!!!!

The old Mark 1 77 that I got for free a few years ago shoots very sweetly also. Just dropped a V-Mach kit in and it's beautiful. One of the guys at the club I used to go to really had a thing against springers...until he shot this one!!

Sorry chaps, gotta sit on the fence on this one...can't split the older/newer ones.

I can imagine, however, that a rifle personally breathed on by Steve Pope, with all those extra years of accumulated knowledge and expertise, really must be something very, very special. From references on here, the waiting list will be very, very long and it won't be cheap, but then since when has acquiring the best ever been cheap?? And remember, I bet he's often got Mr Pope senior advising, helping and prodding.

I really miss my many visits to the Cradley Heath premises and still remember the smell........

Best days of my life........