View Poll Results: Venom Vs V-mach-your preference?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Old School Venom

16 61.54%
  • V-mach

10 38.46%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Old School Venom lazaglide Vs Modern V-mach Weihrauchs...

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    Just couple of points ...

My comments were in no way negative towards what Bigtoe does. I love reading his stuff and admire what he does. I'd love him to do one of my guns but I wasn't aware that he 'offers his services' ... I just thought he works on what he fancies?

I do, usually for content on the blog...

old v's new

Quote Originally Posted by LeeO View Post
    Could it be the starting ingredient's,?
    I've read a few time's on here the older the better with HW's,?
    I'm sure there's more than one engineer or tradesman on here who'd agree base material's dont seem as good as even ten years ago,let alone twenty,
    Thats the elephant in the room they're all missing ! That & better QC I suspect with the hw's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Agree completely, so obviously we have to compromise somewhat... the 2" of preload with 3mm gauge springs in my TXs is a good compromise IMHO.

Pity you are a gazillion miles away, we could compare shot cycles
    Jon, what are the specs on your 3mm spring? Length, number of coils, ID and OD? I have a .120" wire spring on the way to me with custom guides (I think that means it's a 3mm wire). Curious how the length of mine compares to the one you are adding 2" of pre-load to. Also with the custom guides I had my TX200 piston lightened - I can run it anywhere from 173g up to 200g or more with a steel tophat. Plan to decrease stroke by 14mm. Last bit is figuring if the transfer port should be increased from 3.7mm.
    Good deals: davida6212 jimmer u.k.neil

Spent a few hours getting to know the Lazaglided HW77 today-what a joy it is to shoot-the lock time is actually pretty good-not as fast as my 97k, but no slowcoach either
    It just feels smoother to cock and shoot though Possibly, as pointed out above, a product of a better quality staring rifle....
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

Further to my original ramblings on this thread, the "conclusion" reached by a fair few and from subsequent conversations with fellow Venom / V-mach fans:

Older rifle-slower and smoother
    Newer rifle-faster and "snappier"

The rifle that Bigtoe describes as beautifully engineered but horrible to cock-well, guess what, I got my hands on it yesterday. Springer tuner extrodinaire Dave Gee has worked his magic on it. New breach seal, Venom Piston head, full re-lube and a macarri spring= airgun joy. Yes it is harder to cock than my early Lazaglided 77, not really much harder than my Lazaglided 97k though. The firing cycle is somewhere between the two, although the lock-time is warp speed
    Could the answer be: take the best bits from old/new and combine them?

Or should we all be buying short-stroked TX's?
    Never go off half cocked....

All lies matter

Are you coming to the springer bash at Mick's?

After all, you created that first spark...
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baxterbasics View Post
    Further to my original ramblings on this thread, the "conclusion" reached by a fair few and from subsequent conversations with fellow Venom / V-mach fans:

Older rifle-slower and smoother
    Newer rifle-faster and "snappier"

The rifle that Bigtoe describes as beautifully engineered but horrible to cock-well, guess what, I got my hands on it yesterday. Springer tuner extrodinaire Dave Gee has worked his magic on it. New breach seal, Venom Piston head, full re-lube and a macarri spring= airgun joy. Yes it is harder to cock than my early Lazaglided 77, not really much harder than my Lazaglided 97k though. The firing cycle is somewhere between the two, although the lock-time is warp speed
    Could the answer be: take the best bits from old/new and combine them?

Or should we all be buying short-stroked TX's?
    had a chat with Dave tonight after I worked a deal on that 80 in the Tyrolean that I added bearings to, he was telling me after the breech seal he could back the spring off quite a bit...just hows how sometimes simple things get missed and have a dramatic effect on how a rifle shoots. I can tell you everyone that shot it at our club commented on how hard it was to cock, it must be quite a bit nicer now..

So, what do i do with this 80 with a Zephyr spring, i only want the stock really, do I short stroke the piston and sell the action or sleeve it and keep it? if I keep it it will be a .20 when finished not a .22.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    had a chat with Dave tonight after I worked a deal on that 80 in the Tyrolean that I added bearings to, he was telling me after the breech seal he could back the spring off quite a bit...just hows how sometimes simple things get missed and have a dramatic effect on how a rifle shoots. I can tell you everyone that shot it at our club commented on how hard it was to cock, it must be quite a bit nicer now..

So, what do i do with this 80 with a Zephyr spring, i only want the stock really, do I short stroke the piston and sell the action or sleeve it and keep it? if I keep it it will be a .20 when finished not a .22.
    Tony, is your blog down? Haven't been able to hit it the last couple of days.
    Good deals: davida6212 jimmer u.k.neil

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBoudreau View Post
    Tony, is your blog down? Haven't been able to hit it the last couple of days.
    its live and well...