Thread: Bucking the pellet trend!

Bucking the pellet trend!

I am curious if anyone else has come across the same scenario as I have.

When I first got my rifle I used a chrono at a rifle club to test the output and my average fps was 725 with a hw100 with exactly half a cylinder of air using JSB Exacts of the .177 variety. This lead me to think the rifle's energy at the muzzle was around 9.85 FPE. Since then I believe this was not the correct reading.

I have just bought a combro chrony and my curiosity of how my rifle would like other pellets lead me to buy some Bisley Magnums @10.5 ish grains.

When testing these two different pellets through the combro here are my findings (I did 3 sets of 10 pellets of each type to get these averages with a haaf cylinder of air).

JSB Exact Diablo .177 @8.44 grains
    786.8 FPS
    11.6 FPE (This is more what I was expecting from the rifle!)

Bisley Magnum .177 @10.5 grains
    678.5 FPS
    10.74 FPE

This seems to buck the trend as most of what I have read, people report to have an increase of anywhere from 0.2 to 2FPE energy when using Bisley Mags!!!

I understand that my rifle must just not like Bisley Mags. I thought the more pointed tip may have played a part in a lower reading from the combro so I tried micro adjustments of the combro's alignment with no noticable change in the readings (apart from one "bad" reading which is reasuring).

There was a noticable drop in POI with the Bisley Magnums but my trusty hw100 is still stupidly accurate with both types of pellet.

Has anybody else experienced this with their rifles?

Rob.

Ammo

Yes i have too ...these 8.6 grain Polymags are a bit more powerful than with the 10.5 grain Crosmans...R17 with BSA barrel......must be a barrel\pellet diameter or a pellet hardness thing ..one may spread the base and grip better\faster..Obturation i think it is called....in your case also the AA'S have thinner skirts...optimum obturation...
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

bucking the pellet trend

I've found this to be true in .177 & .22 about jsb's v's bisley mags in my pcps & my sons R10, springers are a different story though, usually the lightest gives the highest ft/lbs, try h&n green in them & you may have to de-tune to stay legal.