Thread: 6.5 x 51 brass wanted

6.5 x 51 brass wanted

I have been asked by a member of the gun club I go to if anyone has once fired brass for the Japanese WW2 rifle calibre 6.5 x51 or where He can get some brass.
    Sam

Prvi Partizan make 6.5x51 Arisaka brass. It's their item C-385 described as 6.5 x 51 Arisaka (Japanese) Your friend could try asking Henry Krank as they are the Prvi agent for this country.

Prvi also make the cases for Graf, their Item #: PPU65X50 (Note that Graf call it 6.5 x 50 JAP)

Norma have been making 6.5 Arisaka ammunition and cases for many years. Word from the guys in the States is that the current Norma brass is different from the older brass, and is apparently undersized, leading to cases swelling. The Norma item is #20265311 6,5 Jap

Back in the days when I owned and shot various Arisakas, the only ammunition I could locate here in the UK were the following;
    Original WW2 Japanese
    Late 1940's Chinese Nationalist
    Early 1950's Chinese Communist
    Norma

Of these, only the Norma was reloadable. The others were Berdan primed and if I recall correctly the primer was an odd size. I used to reload the Norma cases, and never had any problems with them, but if the guys in the States are correct, the case have changed and might give some issues together with a shorter case life.

I would suggest trying to obtain some Prvi brass. Ask Kranks first, and if no luck, import some from the USA.

Your friend might be lucky and find a dealer here with some of the older Norma ammunition, in which case buy it and he will have some good cases. If I recall correctly the two loadings they used to offer were 139gn copper fmj, and 156gn nickle jacket softpoint. They now only list a 156gn copper jacket soft point which they call the Alaska. Obviously the soft point is now also a Sec.5 load, so will require appropriate authority.

I hope this helps. If your friend has any questions about his rifle, it's markings, etc. PM me and I'll try to answer them.
    I collect vintage Japanese air rifles & vintage Japanese pellets
    Information sought about antique firearms with Japanese markings, do you have one ?