coming from a village with one street lamp and one road sign you had two choices for pass times ,either the only girl worth looking at in the village or take to the fields poaching .so bartering with the local travellers[gypsy's] for some antiquated airgun ; i started with a cadet which i was reliably informed by the said gypsys would knock down a rabbit at some unbelievable distance which i of course believed . i traded up to a meteor from the same people [god was i gullible] but i did spend some of my happiest childhood hours with a mate tornado and meteor in our grubby little hands traipsing round boothys fields much to his annoyance;hilarious now i think about it, he used to chase us in his old tractor as he was so rotund! his old man i remember was arrested when he loosed off both barrels of his shotgun at the milktanker doing the rounds.
when i finally acquired an airsporter i was sure i had reached airgun nirvana;as i lived on a big nursery my mates would turn up and take a pick of my rather odd collection of used and abused airguns ;i recall an old scorpion grafted into an equally old stock being amongst my box of treasures!! we couldnt shoot pistols accurately so it seemed the simplest solution,i recall someone turning up with a hurricane which try as we might couldnt hit anything smaller than a lawn mower grass box ;we concluded with our errr limited experience that it must be so powerful it was inaccurate.my last purchase before i gave up airguns temporarily was a webley, which model i cant remember except on the box when it arrived from kays catalogue was the inscription "webley probably the best airguns in the world" .after 20 plus years away raising family, paying mortgage,i came back to it and have made up for lost time acquiring every model i dreamt of but couldnt have back then .my all time most loved model as so many here already know is the fwb 124s followed closely by a series 2 mk3 but when i want to rattle a few cans the old cadet major is still simple honest plinker with loads of memory's.