Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
I got back into Pike fishing last year after a 40 year break mate...I'll tell you a funny story when we next meet...All my kit was off the bay, a nice 300 with 3 spools in a bag for £15 odd quid, and a cracking (unused looking) Lee of Redditch 9'6" fibreglass spinner with safety twist ferrule, all agate rings and champagne anodizing for not much more...I use old re-hooked snapdragon plugs and vintage spoons and Colorados, and last time out got some sniggers from the multi-rod carbon youngsters...as I did in the shop when I asked what the hell a "jerkbait" was

I caught an 8 pound Pike in front of them, and you should have seen their faces

It's a bit like shooting old guns, or maybe I am just awkward (or believe that fish don't worry if you have spent a grand on tackle as long as you stick something in front of them that looks edible).

Sorry to wander off topic........most unlike me!

ATB, Ed

The amount of older guys who stop for a gab when they see one of my Mitchells is amazing Ed (I rotate these like you do your rifles). But like you I do get sniggers when seen out with my old style tackle. Most are surprised when they find I use them on purpose in favour of the newer Shimano baitrunner types and actually enjoy using them . They are even more surprised when they find out I collect and renovate them too AND HAVE OVER 40 . Mitchells seem to peak and trough price wise and are really cheap at the moment. I love using these old reels, just like I love using vintage BSA's even my centrepin reel for long trotting is an ancient Trudex of 1950s vintage. I love stripping and rebuilding them both too. Although my rods are purpose built, long and very ''tippy'' to middle in action as most of my fishing is fast moving rivers or large glacial mountain lakes. Couldn't give a toss what the younger ones think Ed most I've met are all the gear no idea anyway .