Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what type of target rifle have you all got

Walther lg300xt

Feinwerkbau 2700
    Feinwerkbau 2602
    Anschutz m54
    Liam Webster

My tired old brain is firmly lodged in the spring-piston era.

I have: FWB 300 and 300S; a brace of Diana model 60 double-piston barrel-cockers; Walther LG 55, LGV, and LGV Spezial; a Haenel 311 (bought more for sheer weirdness than to actually shoot targets with); and a fairly embarrassing number of Weihrauch 55's of various ages.

Target rifle

Walther LGV oly.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

1929 militia patt with parker hale ramp sight for bell trgt,you really feel a sense of achievement when you get a ringer!!!
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Hammerli AR 20 with Anshutz rear sight, Centra adjustable diopter and German adjustable foresight.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

For "bell ringing"...

Walther LG55
    Walther LGV Spezial
    FWB 150T
    Original 66

Quote Originally Posted by 18 Wheeler View Post
    For "bell ringing"...

Walther LG55
    Walther LGV Spezial
    FWB 150T
    Original 66
    That is a nice bell target selection - two "kickers and two recoilless - which one is your regular match day choice - and if it is not the same rifle, which do you enjoy shooting the most?
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    That is a nice bell target selection - two "kickers and two recoilless - which one is your regular match day choice - and if it is not the same rifle, which do you enjoy shooting the most?
    Original 66 is the one I use when I want the best chance of hitting the target. Just balances nicely, and being the only true lefthander it's easier to shoot. It has the best trigger on any springer I've ever shot, and is the only trigger I've ever increased the weight on, it can be set to an insanely light, but reliable, let off.

Walthers, as anyone who has used one will know, are just sublime. The quality of machining, easy cocking and whole shooting experience can't be bettered IMHO in a recoiling springer. Everyone should own at least one.

FWB 150T, just beautiful. I don't need to shoot it to enjoy it.

I do prefer the Giss system over FWB's sledge, properly recoilless and I appreciate the technical sophistication. The whole gun feels more sophisticated compared to the FWB's, again IMHO. Even the way the breech lock works is a delight, the lever just goes over centre on the cam with the perfect amount of spring damping to stop it being clunky. The sort of detail which manufacturers don't even consider, let alone implement these days.

At the recent Melbourne v Redhill bell target shoot the top three scorers were all using spring driven equipment, despite there being some more advanced rifles being deployed (LGR's, FWB SSP's, AA S200T etc). Using a full race 10m PCP would give an advantage but would hardly be in the spirit.

Which of your collection gets used "when the chips are down" (no I.J it's not snack time ) Bob?

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Trend?

Currently using
    Air - Walther LG400 Alutec.
    - The wife uses a Walther Special, LG400 system in LG 300 Junior stock.
    .22 - Walther KK300 Alutec.
    - The wife has one the same.
    7.62 - Swing Mk 3 in Walther UIT prone stock.
    - The wife uses a Sportco in an ex Malcolm Cooper Walther GX1 stock.
    6mmBR (300 mt) - Keppeler K9 free rifle (but with Walther grip and cheek piece!!!)
    - The wife has one the same.

Notice the trend? its a bit Ulm orientated!
    Have fun and good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Anschutz LG380 for Bell Target - Must surely be the pinnacle of recoiless springers and is as accurate as an accurate thing can be,in the right hands of course (pity they are not mine)

Air Arms RN10, in original condition - Set up for FT - Though I very rarely have the time to shoot FT at all these days

Air Arms Protarget, dressed in a aluminium custom target stock and set up for HFT,but again very rarely get chance to shoot competetively lately - perhaps only once or twice a year sadly.
    Life without happiness is no life at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 18 Wheeler View Post

Which of your collection gets used "when the chips are down" (no I.J it's not snack time ) Bob?
    Not being an experienced rifle shot (just a more recent part time convert from pistol shooting) I am also in the envious position of having a really nice (temporary) collection of match rifles at my disposal until the photography and write-ups for bobsairguns are completed.

The recoilless rifle's I enjoy shooting the most at this moment are the early FWB 150T and 300. They just feel different to the later 300S and have more character - having said that, the Original Model 66 and 75 really are fully recoilless and the top scoring rifle in our club at the moment is a Model 66 with the barrel weight removed.

The easiest rifle to shoot is the Diana Model 100 ( I prefer the early version to the later revised version) as it gives the sublime feel of the Walther LGR, and although it looks like a really big rifle, it handles like a lightweight and is really easy to cock for an SSP.

The best fun is with the "kickers". Shooting my HW 55T feels unbeatable - until I pick up and start to cock any of the Walther's, and as soon as that super smooth creamy action is felt I suddenly remember that they are in a league of their own from the Model 55 and LGV thro' to the Spetzial and Spetzial Junior, they all have this incredibly super-smooth feel to them that no other rifle comes close to matching.

Not a direct answer to your question I admit - but plenty to think about !
    Last edited by zooma; 07-04-2013 at 10:07 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I've had virtually all (all?) the spring target air rifles at one time or another and several SSPs as well. Unfortunately I'm having to pare right down now and find the hardest to let go of various double trigger recoilers, and a handful of FWB, Diana and Anschutz recoilless rifles. Very little to choose between the recoilless springers for sheer joy of shooting them or between the recoiling ones for pleasure of ownership.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Too Many Match Rifles

Anschutz Match 54 .22lr
    Anschutz LG380.
    Anschutz LG250.

Walther KK .22 lr
    Walther LGV.

Original 75.

Feinwerkbau 300su
    Feinwerkbau 300 Junior.

and also far too many match pistols - oh dear

For Bell target:
    A rusty & battered FWB300SU love it!