Thread: New Crosman 1377 are under power - here's how to fix them.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I ended up with the new tuneable transfer port drilled to 2.5mm.
    That gives 4.5 ftlbs, I'm going to leave it there. 3.0mm is too big and I don't have a 2.7mm drill bit!

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I know this is an older thread, but I have been hankering after an ultra carbine for while and so bought myself a 1377 recently and sure enough my one was a Canadian restricted model as well and this thread has served me well in derestricting it.
    (If you've got access to a M2.5 tap and screw - you can tap the hole without drilling it out, wind in a suitable screw with some studlock, let it cure, cut it off and carefully dress it flat - after all you're never going to take it out again...unless you emigrate to Canada.)

That said, I do have very different findings regarding the transfer port I thought I would pass on just in case others find them useful....

Firstly, I haven't come across anyone claiming to have a gun without a substantially modified valve anywhere near the legal limit - so I'm pretty confident that just experimenting with the transfer port won't give an over the limit gun without other modifications...

After plugging the hole in the back of the valve, I followed Bob's final drilling advice for the transfer port (2.5mm) and ended up just like he did at around 4.5 ft/lbs....a tad low for my mini-carbine I thought so...

Unlike Bob I do have a 2.8mm drill and so I thought I'd try that....Result! 5.25 ft/lbs

Now this is where it gets odd...I thought I'd open it out a bit more after all the US standard transfer port is 3.8mm and they are not over the UK limit with these fitted - so out comes the drill again and I thought go easy and try 3.5mm first - Bugger! just over 5 ft/lbs....

Next comes a call to GMAC for a full size US spec transfer port and one of his brass restricted ones which I opened back up to 2.8mm...

Result with US 3.8mm port - 4.7 ft/lbs

Result with 2.8mm port - back up to 5.2 ft/lbs again

So, this is where I'm slightly confused by Bob's findings as I haven't found anyone who's come close to 5.7 ft/lbs with a standard gun/transfer port....4.5 - 4.7 ft/lbs seems to be the norm.

Secondly, I know its a generic transfer port and shared with 22xx series of guns, but I'm now of the opinion that the port is optimised for those guns and Crosman just rationalise their stock by just keeping one port to fit all - but my findings indicate that it's too big for the 1377 and a smaller 2.8mm hole actually gives more power in an otherwise standard gun.

Might be worth knowing before you spend any money on that 'Boss' transfer port as it will probably lose you power without making valve mods first....
    Last edited by harvey_s; 24-06-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Very interesting and a bit weird findings. I've heard of wider transfer ports being sub-optimal with springers but not with pneumatics. Could it have been the lost volume perhaps? I assume the valve is standard apart from plugging the vent hole?

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Yep, all standard apart from the plugged vent hole in back of valve and the addition of a small o-ring seal on top of the transfer port (present during all testing)
    The results were repeatable, so I'm sure its not a glitch in the measurements...