Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Milbro Cougar-- The Scottish Scorpion?

Cougar

Does anyone on here remember the Milbro poster which featured a permed young lady with prominent nipples holding a Cougar?

I've got a copy which I must upload some time...

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    I have been told by Peterairguns on here that the 2nd L shaped bracket is 1/4 of an inch longer than the one the rearsight is on; that is is profiled for a scope and (on his example) has no hole drilled in to secure it to the cylinder.

I have one pistol with a tapped hole on top of the cylinder and one without. I don't know which is the earlier gun.

The wood grips that were made for me, are secure with one screw either side and one screw going into the underside of the frame, like Milbro showed in the hand book.

The built up trigger was a mixed thing. The standard length trigger piece (rather than the longer one I made up) fouled on the cocking arm when adjusted up, but a bit of filing might sort it.
    Where the bid sear was welded, unfortunately (1) I told the welder to weld it in the wrong place ) (2) the thing must have been on the limit of wear and decided to stop cocking. So it is going back to be built up about 3mm forwards to be on the safe side and then the bit that holds the piston will be made wider.
    If anyone has some spares for one of these then give me a shout please.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

done a bit more tinkering with this and had a plink. It is fitted with the proper rearsight now and waiting for the proper foresight. However sticking with my home made alloy one for now, even though it is a bit wide.
    I ground and filed the built up trigger piece and fitted it today.

The trouble is, this Milbro part is too short. When you adjust the trigger, using the screw in the frame, at the back of the trigger guard, it reduces engagement between the intermediate sear and the big sear. That is ok--BUT what it also does is to increase the length of pull of the first stage. With the proper trigger part, this pull goes on forever. With the longer one I made out of mild steel, it is not as bad.
    To reduce this first stage, you need to put something between this trigger piece and the slot in the plastic trigger. A sliver/wedge of alloy will do it but you will have to guess where to put it. A screw adjuster for this first stage would be a better bet but there is not really room to drill/tap the plastic trigger piece and to adjust it). If one of the machinists could make up a trigger that would be great. Another thing with this increased first stage is it puts the trigger spring under more stress as the plastic trigger piece it pushes against has to move much further to move the metal trigger piece.

Anyhow, waiting for the modified big sear to come back but the results today were quite promising.
    The gun could be shot very accurately and achieve good grouping, but with my tennis elbow and that long first stage, it irritated me and sometimes I pulled the shots to the right.
    One the first stage is reduced, I think it will be a pretty good trigger for what it is.
    If anyone is interested in the trigger mod, just ask.
    Ps--Still looking for bits---and if anybody with one of those laser cutters fancies making trigger bits??
    Last edited by ggggr; 18-12-2017 at 06:06 PM.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Does anyone on here remember the Milbro poster which featured a permed young lady with prominent nipples holding a Cougar?

I've got a copy which I must upload some time...
    yes I do, adorned my wall for a good few years during my tenage years, talanted girl as I remember.

complete Spares Cougar available

ggggr

Got a complete Cougar ( minus plastic grips and sides) stripped and available for spares. sent you a pm
    Cheers

The rewelded trigger bit came back but I could not get it to work. I dont know whether I ground/filed too much off the bit the piston pushes against to set the sear or the thing is bent. I think the big sear has a habit of bending and then the gun wont cock as it hits the bottom of the cylinder before it engages the piston. Grinding the top of the sear can let it come up high enough.
    Anyhow, given up on the welded up sear for now
    Last edited by ggggr; 18-12-2017 at 06:15 PM.

So for what I read its nót a very good pistol than?
    Ggggr, any news regarding the trigger upgrade?
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    So for what I read its nót a very good pistol than?
    Ggggr, any news regarding the trigger upgrade?
    I never got the long sear welded up again. The wider middle sear does not seem to make much difference. The longer trigger piece does reduce the first stage, which I prefer. I have sort of given up on the Cougar. With the crap plastic, pretty crap trigger, that rearsight mounted on a bit of L shaped plastic and the mazac trigger housing, it is more a case of what might have been.

I am afraid I have always thought of them as a more powerful (and expensive) equivalent of the IGI/GunToys/Panther RO72. Looked very enticing in mail order adverts in 1980, but didn't work anything like as well as they looked, and tended to break.

The Scorpion, on the other hand, has its flaws, but is a rather good gun (for an air pistol hand cannon). Which is why so many are still in use.

Thumbs up

There's a lad on facebook that's just bought a boxed 'As new' Cougar and a Bobcat in all it's packaging, Must say, they looked superb!!

It could be Roll27 as his pic of the boxed Cougar looks very similar in condition

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    There's a lad on facebook that's just bought a boxed 'As new' Cougar and a Bobcat in all it's packaging, Must say, they looked superb!!

It could be Roll27 as his pic of the boxed Cougar looks very similar in condition

John
    No, not me sorry, though I would like a mint boxed Bobcat, anyone? Still have my Cougar and managed years later to fine a mint boxed Black Major, both reflective of the times, I love em, cheers Roll

Sexy lady
    Scorpion pistol in Octopussy equals that.
    http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Octopussy

Couger: good looking and best kept mint in box. The plastics self destruct over time, go brittle. Plus they don't shoot as good as they look.
    If someone did a small run of the plastics forends a lot more would survive. Have to be done by a fan as thats never going to be cost effective due to the low numbers.

Think some had a pull out shoulder stock. Tthat to me would be a plus to hit anything with it. Same issue with the Scorpion; they sure are big.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Sexy lady
    Scorpion pistol in Octopussy equals that.
    http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Octopussy

Couger: good looking and best kept mint in box. The plastics self destruct over time, go brittle. Plus they don't shoot as good as they look.
    If someone did a small run of the plastics forends a lot more would survive. Have to be done by a fan as thats never going to be cost effective due to the low numbers.

Think some had a pull out shoulder stock. Tthat to me would be a plus to hit anything with it. Same issue with the Scorpion; they sure are big.
    Quote Originally Posted by cinedux View Post
    I remember those astonishingly un-PC Milbro ads. I guess i was 12-13 at the time. They must have had an impact at that age. .

I think all Cougars had the sliding M3 SMG-style stock.

Stocks on pistols (except full-auto pistols like Stechkins or Mauser 712s) are about as much use as tits on a boar.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by roll27 View Post
    No, not me sorry, though I would like a mint boxed Bobcat, anyone? Still have my Cougar and managed years later to fine a mint boxed Black Major, both reflective of the times, I love em, cheers Roll

Ahh!

I know the lad was called William but can't even post a pic of his superb condition guns as I was banned off facebook yesterday

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/