Thread: Webley Stingray

getpip Guest

Webley Stingray

Hi... I have a Webley Stingray which although about 18 months old has only fired one tin of pellets... i dont use it cos its not that much fun to use.... it feels really clunky and harsh.
    Now I know its never going to be a Theoben but can anyone suggest a reasonably priced way of getting it tuned or breathed on so I am more inclined to take it out.
    Thank you all.

itsa344 Guest
    A proper strip and re lube should help matters no end ~ they come from the factory over lubed IMHO.

Failing that, Webley venom do a nice DIY kit that I can recommend.

A reasonable gunsmith should be able to sort out either of the above fairly cheaply.

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.
    SFS will sort it out/tune ect for 45 quid.

I would have a go at servicing it yourself, clean all the old lube off, spray the spring liberally with motorcycle chain wax (aerosol), leave it for the solvents to evaporate, rub the inside and outside of the piston with Moly GN paste, rub the inside of the cylinder with same, apply some moly grease to the ends of the spring, reassemble, all should be well... Moly GN paste is excellent stuff, you rub it into the surface of the metal as if you were polishing it. It's longer lasting than grease and less prone to cause deiselling. Motorbike chain wax is excellent at dampening spring noise, some guns like a smidgin of moly grease added on top of the chain wax. Webleys sometimes have a plastic spring guide/vibration dampener, it's very rare but I have heard of one case where that had broke, also, after prolonged use, these can wear and the rifle will benefit from a replacement when it's serviced.

I seem to remember hearing that Webley guns are usually just oiled at the factory, that was certainly the case with my Tempest. A bit of cleaning, then a modern lube job, with wax, grease, and paste worked wonders on that pistol... I did the trigger with GN Paste as well which improved that too!

Rob M

getpip Guest
    thanx for the advice people...

Big Dave... who are SFS?

Rob M.... i am no gunsmith but am mechanically competent... can i handle this myself and do i need special tools?

On ma dirt farm near Dudley in the Westmidlands.
    Quote Originally Posted by getpip
    thanx for the advice people...

Big Dave... who are SFS?

Rob M.... i am no gunsmith but am mechanically competent... can i handle this myself and do i need special tools?
    Sandwell Field Sports.

Have a look see at www.sandwellfieldsports.co.uk

I have never stripped a Stingray myself, but having had a look at the drawings <<here>> it doesn't look difficult at all. I don't know how much preload there is on the spring with these though...

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Hi

the only problem with stripping the Stingray is to get the piston out you have to take the safety mechanism out which is a nightmare to put back together, it can be done but with a lot of fiddling and cursing.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

theshooter Guest
    Buy a Venom stage one tuning kit 49.95 and it would make a world of diffrence.

They're easy to do, hardly any preload on the spring so you don't need a spring press. Like matey says, try to avoid taking the safety catch out, or at least, try to remember how it came out! The other thing you need to make sure you do is to remove the trigger blade and trigger spring before you go to take the mainspring out, or the trigger spring is liable to get mashed.

A gas-ram is a quick, simple way of making them much nicer to shoot. Recoil is quicker and more manageable. The trigger is still cr@p though, but if you're gonna take it to bits you may as well polish the sears whilst your at it. Also, replace the trigger spring with a lighter one- the ones you get in ballpoint pens are often ideal.

HTH
    And day by day and dauntingly, Our anger does increase. While you ruin us through ignorance,
    How can we keep our peace?

Quote Originally Posted by BIG DAVE C
    Sandwell Field Sports.

Have a look see at www.sandwellfieldsports.co.uk

SFS - Seconded, thirded and fourthed !!!

Stu